Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:06 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,465 times

Advertisements

You can be married, it simply won't be a "government" approved one. Marriage licensing only became a "law" after the Civil War. Prior to that, marriage was a religious event- two people stating their intent before the congregation. Is there a benefit to a government marriage? Living wills, Trusts, and Power of Attorney all accomplish the same legal standing as a marriage. Marriage to an animal would not be consensual, therefore prohibited. I'm sure you weren't serious though! The adoption issue should be determined at the state level, not the federal. Remember though, it's not a right, it's a privilege to adopt. FWIW, most single people can't adopt. Gay couples DO adopt, so it's not prohibited. Children cannot be taken from a parent without cause, they just can't. Not even because they're gay- there has to be something else going on. The sad part here is that the more we let government into our homes, the more we let them decide what is in our best interest. What you do in the privacy of your own home with another consenting adult is none of my business, and it certainly isn't any of the governments business either.

The fire/police, and ambulance aren't federal agencies, they're local. And yes, I do get a bill for them- my yearly tax bill. In addition, I had to pay $700 for an ambulance when my 3 y/o had to be taken the ER. Here is the problem I have- Our local Battalion Chief(s) drive around in Ford Excursion, funded by tax money. They use it as we would use our own cars, because they could get called at anytime. They don't haul firefighters around, they don't go anywhere the fire truck can't, and they don't tow any firefighting equipment. Why do they need a $50K truck when a $12K car will do? Because they aren't paying for it! Now multiply that a trillion fold and you have the federal government. As for the Defense budget: there's a reason we've been in armed conflict for the last 100+ years: It make big money even bigger.

It's tragic when bad things happen to people, no doubt about it. I live in Virginia Beach, close to the ocean. Should you be financially liable for me if a hurricane blows my house away? I wouldn't think so, I'm the one who decided to live here. The same applies to a person who decides not to insure themselves. For you friend in the explosion, unless it was his company that caused the explosion, he has a legal/financial claim against the company that did cause it. In any case, the local community will rally, and take care of their own. Churches, Red Cross, Salvation Army, they all do a fine job- The bottom line, and this may seem harsh, don't FORCE your tragedy to be MY tragedy. I will help anyone to the best of my means, as would most people. The sad part is when people don't help because "the government will do it, and I pay my taxes". It's a statistical fact that private charitable donations have fallen as tax burden increases. "Why should I donate more, the government already takes enough?"

The solution lies in LESS government, not more. Get the federal government out of the states affairs. Let the people decide on a local level how much they want to give and where they want it allocated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 04:43 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
You can be married, it simply won't be a "government" approved one. Marriage licensing only became a "law" after the Civil War. Prior to that, marriage was a religious event- two people stating their intent before the congregation. Is there a benefit to a government marriage? Living wills, Trusts, and Power of Attorney all accomplish the same legal standing as a marriage. Marriage to an animal would not be consensual, therefore prohibited. I'm sure you weren't serious though! The adoption issue should be determined at the state level, not the federal. Remember though, it's not a right, it's a privilege to adopt. FWIW, most single people can't adopt. Gay couples DO adopt, so it's not prohibited. Children cannot be taken from a parent without cause, they just can't. Not even because they're gay- there has to be something else going on. The sad part here is that the more we let government into our homes, the more we let them decide what is in our best interest. What you do in the privacy of your own home with another consenting adult is none of my business, and it certainly isn't any of the governments business either.

The fire/police, and ambulance aren't federal agencies, they're local. And yes, I do get a bill for them- my yearly tax bill. In addition, I had to pay $700 for an ambulance when my 3 y/o had to be taken the ER. Here is the problem I have- Our local Battalion Chief(s) drive around in Ford Excursion, funded by tax money. They use it as we would use our own cars, because they could get called at anytime. They don't haul firefighters around, they don't go anywhere the fire truck can't, and they don't tow any firefighting equipment. Why do they need a $50K truck when a $12K car will do? Because they aren't paying for it! Now multiply that a trillion fold and you have the federal government. As for the Defense budget: there's a reason we've been in armed conflict for the last 100+ years: It make big money even bigger.

It's tragic when bad things happen to people, no doubt about it. I live in Virginia Beach, close to the ocean. Should you be financially liable for me if a hurricane blows my house away? I wouldn't think so, I'm the one who decided to live here. The same applies to a person who decides not to insure themselves. For you friend in the explosion, unless it was his company that caused the explosion, he has a legal/financial claim against the company that did cause it. In any case, the local community will rally, and take care of their own. Churches, Red Cross, Salvation Army, they all do a fine job- The bottom line, and this may seem harsh, don't FORCE your tragedy to be MY tragedy. I will help anyone to the best of my means, as would most people. The sad part is when people don't help because "the government will do it, and I pay my taxes". It's a statistical fact that private charitable donations have fallen as tax burden increases. "Why should I donate more, the government already takes enough?"

The solution lies in LESS government, not more. Get the federal government out of the states affairs. Let the people decide on a local level how much they want to give and where they want it allocated.
I would like my marriage to be recognized by the states and government however.... sorry call me picky. I'm not religious at all, from my background with historical and scientific education, religion as we know it today just doesn't fit well with me. So I don't want the whole religious aspect of a marriage. I want state acknowledgment and respect. I of course was joking about the marriage to an animal, that is actually Mike Huckabee's argument for why we shouldn't allow same sex couples to marry, the ever-so-popular "what next" syndrome. I'm very involved in Marshall's Lambda society, a pro-active group on campus so trust me I do know a great deal about being gay, and issues pertaining to gays. With the Virginia Beach hurricane situation. I'd like to think of Americans pulling together to help one another out in times of need, which in my opinion includes natural disasters and sickness (healthcare). I'd like to think that we are not so frugal with our money that we'd rather keep it locked up instead of helping someone. There are over 300 million people in this country. A small increase in a temporary tax to help out someone would not break a whole lot of people. Especially those making in excess of 200,000 a year. I'm sorry I guess we all just have to agree to disagree on some things and vote accordingly to our views. I just think it should be more about caring, empathy, and brotherhood rather than the all mighty dollar.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:27 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,465 times
No tax is temporary! Americans WILL pull together in emrgencies. We don't need the government to do it for us. If you don't want to rebuild my beachfront home, why should you be FORCED to? Let's imagine you're mugged in an alley. Does it matter if the mugger goes and buys himself crack, or buys orphans ice cream. It doesnt change the fact that you were mugged!

People will almost always do the right thing. It's when Big Brother steps in that things go bad.

We're both focusing on the right end result, the only difference is how we'd like to get there. Stay focused, you'll go far.
Mark

Old 01-29-2008, 06:41 PM

13 posts, read 38,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Reduced Food Tax - Good
He took a penny off the food tax, and that's why some call him "Penny Joe".

I paid over $5000 in various taxes last year, and I'm on a $18,000 fixed pension. You do the math.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:38 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
Again, its obvious our views and opinions are not going to line up so lets just focus on other topics But thank you so much for your words of encouragement.. they are always welcomed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia