Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:47 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times

Advertisements

That's due to declining population in the region. It will get worse before it gets better due to unwarranted and state subsidized competition from other quarters as the idiots running our state continue to find one way after another to shoot themselves in the foot and mess over the residents with political pork and stupidity.,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 04:42 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The only "print" I have seen about it has been in newspaper reports of things discussed at Board of Governors meetings, Faculty Senates and the like. I believe it is an "unoffical" cap rather than one that has been reduced to rules and regulations. In practice, they will not accept more than 30,000 students and as graduate enrollment increases, undergraduate will decrease.

When improved infrastructure is in place, they might well raise the cap.
Here you go, from your own post on here none the less:
Article - WVU reaching enrollment cap

Per that article, the cap is unofficial as they can accept "about 30,000" as they don't have enough staff or classroom/dorm space for more than that.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:47 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
Quote:
That's due to declining population in the region. It will get worse before it gets better due to unwarranted and state subsidized competition from other quarters as the idiots running our state continue to find one way after another to shoot themselves in the foot and mess over the residents with political pork and stupidity.,
Those in positions of knowledge think the enrollment decline is due to other factors:

Quote:
“Through this revitalization plan,” the former employee of West Virginia Tech writes in a guest opinion submitted to The Montgomery Herald, “the community and Tech alumni hoped that the new WVU president, Dr. James Clements, would begin correcting the injustices that have occurred on the Tech campus during the 16 years under WVU governance. Quite the opposite, it seems. WVU’s use of WVU Sightlines rather than the Curris Report to prioritize revitalization projects gives cause to question once again Morgantown’s intentions for its divisional campus in Montgomery.”
WVU Tech committee member unhappy with direction » Local News » The Montgomery Herald, Montgomery, W.Va.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:55 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Those in positions of knowledge think the enrollment decline is due to other factors:

WVU Tech committee member unhappy with direction » Local News » The Montgomery Herald, Montgomery, W.Va.
Of course they blame Morgantown. That is the go to strategy in this state.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
To weigh in I used to work with student admissions and student accounts.

There is a 30k student cap planned, I dont care to find a source, but I assure it is there. If you dont want to believe it I dont care it wont change the fact.

It is not exactly 30k. It is at around 30k. The university doesnt have the resources, housing, classrooms, teachers, etc for more students at the moment. They are working on improving what they have instead of expanding. I imagine in the future expansion will continue but the University is overcapacity and they want to improve it that is the priority.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:28 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,035 times
I'm sure the State will provide some resources for any expansion.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:57 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,033 times
Quote:
You can do well with your degree if you get into civil service. Take the tests for human services positions and for counselor positions at correctional institutions. Those jobs have comparable pay or better than the non profits plus they have good retirement and benefit plans. Generally, you can take the tests in nearby states too.
I am going to look closer into that. Where I am, now, Northern Maine,I don't think there is opportunity for that, when I move, though, yes.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Here you go, from your own post on here none the less:
Article - WVU reaching enrollment cap

Per that article, the cap is unofficial as they can accept "about 30,000" as they don't have enough staff or classroom/dorm space for more than that.
Tim, not to be argumentive, but I don't disagree with what you're saying. The enrollment cap is unofficial, and related to capacity. So what? It is still an enrollment cap. The school is at the saturation point, and in the process of revamping its enrollment criteria and increasing emphasis on graduate studies. It is being at that capacity that is making that possible.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I am going to look closer into that. Where I am, now, Northern Maine,I don't think there is opportunity for that, when I move, though, yes.
I've been to Maine... it's beautiful. I have not been to northern Maine, but I don't think there is a lot there aside from the moose and trees. There is nothing wrong with that. Many are attracted to a rustic lifestyle. However, if you move to a more populous area I beleive it is certain that opportunities will increase. I would check with other states to see what their hiring procedures are, and make applications to take civil service tests and so forth. Every state has its own policies. West Virginia gives theirs on an ongoing basis. New York gives the test once, establishes an eligibility list, then does not give it again until everyone on the eligible list has been hired. That could take as long as 3 years.

You need to look at the hiring websites for all the states you might find interesting and go from there. If you're willing to invest a little time, and some travel money to take tests, it is likely you will find good opportunities for your 4 year degree. They might even be available in the southern portion of Maine.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:

Well, they have to look for somebody to try to pin it on now, don't they? WVU is not making money by taking on the management of Tech. They are doing it to try to continue a localized education opportunity for people living there. Current employees are expecting miracles given limited resources. They have poured millions into trying to prop the school up... money that they wouldn't have had at all were it not for WVU trying to help them. It is a very good engineering school, and located just 50 miles from Charleston. The fact that there is suddenly competition from 50 miles on the other side of Charleston can't help their plight now, can it? It amounts to the state competing with itself with scarce educational funding. And, since every institution in the state is being asked to take a 7% reduction in state funding this year, and every student in the state will be paying higher tuition, one person in the know might make the argument that investing in such competition is not only unwise... it is harmful and wasteful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia