Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 04:37 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,353 times

Advertisements

Let's take a look population wise at the four counties that compromise the WV Turnpike:

Kanawha 193,063-Fayette 46,039-Raleigh 78,859-Mercer 62,264 for a total population of 380,225.

Lets take a look at the population from I-79 from the Pa state line to Kanawha County line:

Monongalia 96,187-Marion 56,418-Harrison 69,099-Lewis 16,372-Braxton 14,523-Clay 9,386 for a total population of 261,985.

Lets throw in I-68 Preston County 33,520 for another population total of 295,505

Which highway is a road to nowhere with nobody using it?

Of course we all know census numbers are arbitrary on City-Data...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 10:19 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
79 north goes somewhere. 68 east goes somewhere. 79 south, once you get past Bridgeport/Clarksburg, goes through a whole lot of nothing for 130 miles before it gets anywhere at all, and that ain't much once it gets there.
From my perspective, I-79 North out of Charleston goes nowhere for about 225 miles or so, until you get to Pittsburgh, PA. I might use it from time to time if i am going to a WVU sporting event. But yeah, i agree CT, it's a pretty lame, untravelled highway.

Same deal with I-68, It's over 150 miles just to get to Martinsburg, and that's just the outer edge of the DC exurbs.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:04 AM

46 posts, read 67,807 times
I travel Rt. 19 to I-79 to I-64 and back two to three times a week hauling bottled water and I see a lot of folks going nowhere. I don't understand the road to nowhere thing. That route gets me from Craigsville to Lesage and back, so that's why I don't understand the road to nowhere. I always see a lot of trucks (like the one I drive) carrying goods through there and a lot of civilian vehicles going somewhere. From what I can see I-79 and I-64 are used quite a lot! Including Rt. 19!
All highways must start somewhere and end somewhere and during that course they will run through some areas that aren't very populated. That's just the way it works. Unless I'm missing something here?
This also applies to the WV turnpike. As far as I know it runs from around the Beckley area to the Charleston area. It begins somewhere and it ends somewhere Right? So how is it a road to nowhere? That road connects two major cities in southern WV right, or am I missing something?

Old 07-28-2013, 07:02 AM

708 posts, read 1,157,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieclod View Post
I travel Rt. 19 to I-79 to I-64 and back two to three times a week hauling bottled water and I see a lot of folks going nowhere. I don't understand the road to nowhere thing. That route gets me from Craigsville to Lesage and back, so that's why I don't understand the road to nowhere. I always see a lot of trucks (like the one I drive) carrying goods through there and a lot of civilian vehicles going somewhere. From what I can see I-79 and I-64 are used quite a lot! Including Rt. 19!
All highways must start somewhere and end somewhere and during that course they will run through some areas that aren't very populated. That's just the way it works. Unless I'm missing something here?
This also applies to the WV turnpike. As far as I know it runs from around the Beckley area to the Charleston area. It begins somewhere and it ends somewhere Right? So how is it a road to nowhere? That road connects two major cities in southern WV right, or am I missing something?
You are correct ZC, it is a road to somewhere, a very important artery and part of our State, a certain poster on here wants to call this area nowhere due to jealousy, hatred, and I guess more jealousy....

Old 07-28-2013, 03:12 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
From my perspective, I-79 North out of Charleston goes nowhere for about 225 miles or so, until you get to Pittsburgh, PA. I might use it from time to time if i am going to a WVU sporting event. But yeah, i agree CT, it's a pretty lame, untravelled highway.

Same deal with I-68, It's over 150 miles just to get to Martinsburg, and that's just the outer edge of the DC exurbs.
I-68 does not go to Martinsburg. It goes to Hagerstown, MD. I-81 goes to Martinsburg. South of Clarksburg it is basically 130 miles before one arrives at any town of significance. That is a primary reason for Charleston's relative isolation. The unfortunate thing is, even though it is the state capital, they seem rather content to be isolated there. There is no real effort to connect Charleston with other areas of the state by public transporation, for example. West Virginia is essentially the only state to have that situation... the state capital basically cut off from most of the rest of the state.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:25 PM

423 posts, read 1,237,660 times
Quote:
I-68 does not go to Martinsburg. It goes to Hagerstown, MD. I-81 goes to Martinsburg.
I-68 connects I-79 near Morgantown with I-70 in Hancock, MD. Following I-70 east from Hancock, you'll eventually cross I-81 near Hagerstown, MD. I-81 south from Hagerstown passes thru Martinsburg. I-68 cuts across the state in the north-central section, I-64 cuts across the state in the south. I use Rt 55 and Corridor H to access Canaan Valley. Once completed as a four lane between I-81 and I-79, Corridor H will ease access to the ski resorts and central portion of the state.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:55 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,853 times
Just so everyone knows...south of Buckhannon (that's how the town's name is spelled btw) lives most of the people in the state of WV. There are over 1 million people located below Upshur County and thus most of the people in the state.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:55 AM

46 posts, read 67,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Just so everyone knows...south of Buckhannon (that's how the town's name is spelled btw) lives most of the people in the state of WV. There are over 1 million people located below Upshur County and thus most of the people in the state.
The heart of WV is still beating in the south!

Old 08-04-2013, 09:46 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
The road would have been built regardless of tolls. Its a primary interior north/south route, not only in the state, but in the region.

It was built with tolls because it was built before the interstate when there were less federal highway dollars. Its expensive to blast and tunnel through mountains. Tolls also generate a guaranteed income for highway maintenance and improvement, which is why they're popular in heavily populated states like NJ and MA.

The problem in WV isn't simply tolls, its the fact that WV only has one toll road in a single region of the state, rather than maintaining a statewide network. If there was a statewide network, or even just the entirety of 77 was toll, there would likely be less serious outcry to eliminate the tolls.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. It is possible they would have diverted the traffic further east and used I-81. The Turnpike is so busy because it is essentially an extension of US 19, which takes most of I-79's traffic load south of Clarksburg southward saving more than 30 miles and the need to drive through Charleston.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure about that. It is possible they would have diverted the traffic further east and used I-81. The Turnpike is so busy because it is essentially an extension of US 19, which takes most of I-79's traffic load south of Clarksburg southward saving more than 30 miles and the need to drive through Charleston.
Keep in mind that the original impetus for the Interstate System, way back in the 1950s, was to facilitate the movement of troops and supplies. In fact, the official name is The Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways. Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Detroit were the heart of our industrial production, while many military bases were located in the southeast.

Because I-81 generally runs from southwest to northeast, it's really not ideal as an alternative from the "Rust Belt" to the South... you have to go too far east to pick it up, and then it takes you too far west as it goes south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia