Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
tbailey is simply stating that only Charleston-Huntington were of enough significance to be considered for a study. Total population was likely a reason Morgantown wasn't considered, as it's a village compared to those two (combined) areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
How can Charleston and Huntington be called towns when they are the largest cities in the state?

I question this gallup poll because neither Detroit or Flint Michigan are included and those two places have been named, in the past, near the top or at the top of depressing city lists.
Careful, guys. You're going to confuse people with all this factual posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 11:50 AM

708 posts, read 1,157,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
How can Charleston and Huntington be called towns when they are the largest cities in the state?

I question this gallup poll because neither Detroit or Flint Michigan are included and those two places have been named, in the past, near the top or at the top of depressing city lists.
I thought things were bad down here in McDowell, Flint is straight ghetto, pretty rough up there. There's no way Huntington and Charleston are below them.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:15 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Careful, guys. You're going to confuse people with all this factual posting.
It's more like if you can't dazzle people with facts, you can baffle them with bull****.

These studies are pure fluff in my opinion.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
I thought things were bad down here in McDowell, Flint is straight ghetto, pretty rough up there. There's no way Huntington and Charleston are below them.
Yes, they are. As you can see from actual statistics. Huntington, for instance, is similar to Flint. A rust belt town that lost a big portion of its population.

You can assume X is worse all you want but all research shows these 2 places are worse. I am welcome to statistics showing otherwise but until then you cant make assumptions.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Yes, they are. As you can see from actual statistics. Huntington, for instance, is similar to Flint. A rust belt town that lost a big portion of its population.

You can assume X is worse all you want but all research shows these 2 places are worse. I am welcome to statistics showing otherwise but until then you cant make assumptions.
Well Havoc,as you have stated before all statistics, polls, census numbers, and population numbers are arbitrary and manipulated.

The only way ill believe any of this is if you put a penny on the ground and interview every person in a 1 mile/2 mile/3 mile and so on and so on til you reach the city limits, only then after every person is interviewed will I believe any of the results.

I've came to conclusion I can't trust any facts or sources posted on City-Data, because they are all arbitrary and have a hidden agenda for unknown reasons that nobody knows why.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Well Havoc,as you have stated before all statistics, polls, census numbers, and population numbers are arbitrary and manipulated.

The only way ill believe any of this is if you put a penny on the ground and interview every person in a 1 mile/2 mile/3 mile and so on and so on til you reach the city limits, only then after every person is interviewed will I believe any of the results.

I've came to conclusion I can't trust any facts or sources posted on City-Data, because they are all arbitrary and have a hidden agenda for unknown reasons that nobody knows why.
I never said that. I said the census doesnt portray an accurate portrayal of actual population. The census is correct at counting CENSUS population. It is not the same thing as actual population. The census is right for what it does but it just doesnt reflect the real population. I certainly never said statistics arent real.

However, If you have proof these stats are please share them. So if you have proof there are happy people in these cities not being counted due to arbitrary reasons by all means show it and you may have a point.

You dont have to believe these stats, but without any other stats that is just ignorant. To the world these facts stand. Your logic right now is, "despite what Gallup said I refuse to believe it because other places must be worse, also something about a penny, and the census is inaccurate so therefore all statistics are inaccurate."

Last edited by cry_havoc; 06-20-2013 at 08:12 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I never said that. I said the census doesnt portray an accurate portrayal of actual population, not all statistics. If you have proof these stats are please share them. So if you have proof there are happy people in these cities not being counted due to arbitrary reasons by all means show it and you may have a point.

You dont have to believe these stats, but without any other stats that is just ignorant.
I tend to think the sampling batch Gallup used was bad. Take Charleston for example, they may have called The East End or West side instead of calling South Hills or Kanawha city? I would like to see a break down of what parts of the city was called for the poll. Cell phones could give a false presence in a neighborhood as well.

I think the City-Data team here needs to visit Gallup, New Mexico, the U.S. Census, and other entities and find out how things are really getting counted before we use them as vital statistics.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I tend to think the sampling batch Gallup used was bad. Take Charleston for example, they may have called The East End or West side instead of calling South Hills or Kanawha city? I would like to see a break down of what parts of the city was called for the poll. Cell phones could give a false presence in a neighborhood as well.

I think the City-Data team here needs to visit Gallup, New Mexico, the U.S. Census, and other entities and find out how things are really getting counted before we use them as vital statistics.
If that is what you want go for it. The fact remains you have no proof of what you feel. It is just some unfounded assumption you have.

No need to bother with the census. We know how that works. However, feel free to visit Gallup. Perhaps you can get them to refute these stats. Keep me informed of your progress.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I never said that. I said the census doesnt portray an accurate portrayal of actual population. The census is correct at counting CENSUS population. It is not the same thing as actual population. The census is right for what it does but it just doesnt reflect the real population. I certainly never said statistics arent real.

However, If you have proof these stats are please share them. So if you have proof there are happy people in these cities not being counted due to arbitrary reasons by all means show it and you may have a point.

You dont have to believe these stats, but without any other stats that is just ignorant. To the world these facts stand. Your logic right now is, "despite what Gallup said I refuse to believe it because other places must be worse, also something about a penny, and the census is inaccurate so therefore all statistics are inaccurate."
My logic is a call center in Gallup, New Mexico is calling a small set of people/numbers in a city hundreds of miles away with thousands of people in it instead of actually visiting the city and asking questions in person. The Sample group itself is not a true representation of the city.

I've been to Flint, Michigan, stayed there for a while, its one of the top 5-10 violent cities in America, been Number 1 several times. A happy city with a nice well-being doesnt have a Top 10 Violent Crime rate. This city has lost 94,000 people in the past 52 years. It has some of the largest brown fields in the US, the Auto Industry has lost several 1000's of jobs. East Flint/Dort Highway blows the worst neighborhoods in Charleston and Huntington away.

Do you honestly think Flint is a happier place than Charleston and Huntington?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
My logic is a call center in Gallup, New Mexico is calling a small set of people/numbers in a city hundreds of miles away with thousands of people in it instead of actually visiting the city and asking questions in person. The Sample group itself is not a true representation of the city.

I've been to Flint, Michigan, stayed there for a while, its one of the top 5-10 violent cities in America, been Number 1 several times. A happy city with a nice well-being doesnt have a Top 10 Violent Crime rate. This city has lost 94,000 people in the past 52 years. It has some of the largest brown fields in the US, the Auto Industry has lost several 1000's of jobs. East Flint/Dort Highway blows the worst neighborhoods in Charleston and Huntington away.

Do you honestly think Flint is a happier place than Charleston and Huntington?
Curse, I like you I do but sometimes you use faulty logic. For instance, "I went somewhere and I think the other place is better than another based off my personal anecdotal observation," is irrelevant.

Flint definitely has higher crime than Charleston and Huntington. That is not an observation. There is statistical proof. There is no proof it is more unhappy than Charleston and Huntington. You are correlating crime and depression. It is faulty logic. For instance Morgantown WV has a fast growing economy so it must be the happiest city in the US. I am not arguing this but using your logic.

Also keep in mind Huntington and Charleston faced similar job loss to Flint. As a total Flint lost more people, but that is because it is bigger. Charleston, Huntington, and Flint all lose approx. half of their population over a few decades. They lost the same % of jobs over the same time. Huntington and Charleston situation is very similar to Flint, except crime is lower in WV and they are less diverse.

So yes I honestly think Flint is happier than Charleston and Huntington. Statistics show this. It does have a higher crime rate, statistics show that, but it is happier. Apparently crime and violence is not the only factor in well being. I am sure it plays a role but it is far from the biggest factor. The population and job loss is pretty close for all three cities. Flint was just much more successful and was important. Huntington and Charleston were small and unknown.

However, if you can demonstrate Flint is more depressed and worse off in well being or that Gallup is flawed I am open. Anecdotal stories and assumptions is not doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia