Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:53 PM

7 posts, read 10,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
I'll join the others in saying that I think you'll like Parkersburg. As cities go in WV, it's fairly large, about 30,000 in the city itself, and along with Marietta OH across the river, is the largest area between Wheeling and Huntington.

Because it's really not all that large, you can live anywhere from a downtown condo to a farmette in the exurbs and still not be far from anything. $250K should easily get you a 2500 sq ft, 4BR, 2.5BA house on 1/2 to an acre.

It's fairly far from the WV mountains, so while you will have a winter, snowfalls above 6" and temps under +10 degrees will be rare (but not impossible).

Good Luck!

That's a lot of house! There are only three of us though so that may be a bit large.lol

Any winter will be better than Mn! We are suppose to get 3 inches tomorrow, and then another couple of inches over the next couple of days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM

7 posts, read 10,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Currently, the best local restaurant is either Paradise Grill or go to Williamstown for da Vinci's.

There is also JP Henrys that is a sports type bar and maybe the oldest in town is Columbo's. There is one on the river called Kokomos but I have never been there.

Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesday, Applebees, Logan's Steakhouse, Texas Roadhouse, Buffalo Wild Wings and Cheddars are the main chains that serve alcohol that come to my feeble mind immediately.

Corner Cafe and Mary B's are too small home-cooking places that make great home-made pies. The airport restaurant used to have great pies at Mary's Plane View but the last couple times I have been there they were out of pie. I heard the airport restaurant has changed hands as Mary retired and sold out so that may be the reason I feel it slipped.

If you are the artsy type then you will settle into this area just fine because between Parkersburg and Marietta, you can be very busy.

Good luck on getting the job and moving to our area.

Awesome thanks!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:01 PM

16,779 posts, read 15,847,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad35 View Post
That's right! We actually went to music school not too far from huntington. Morehead
When I was in the band at Marshall, Morehead was the opening football game every year.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 PM

79,910 posts, read 44,438,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Currently, the best local restaurant is either Paradise Grill or go to Williamstown for da Vinci's.

There is also JP Henrys that is a sports type bar and maybe the oldest in town is Columbo's. There is one on the river called Kokomos but I have never been there.
Kokomo's is really nice in the summer bball. You can watch the boats go by (Nomad it's on the Ohio River just before Blennerhasset Island). Last year when Parkersburg had the musical entertainment at the new stage at Point Park we would go to Kokomo's and listen from there. No crowd and you can get a bite to eat and drink at the same time.

Nomad you also mentioned small independant shops. Downtown Marietta has quite a few of them. The Lafayette Hotel in Marietta has a pretty popular Blue's fest every year. It's getting pretty big. The Sternwheel Festival always draws thousands. The fireworks are hard to beat anywhere.

Marietta also is doing well with the Adelphia Music Hall. They are getting a good mix of I guess B level talent. Marshall Crenshaw, Reverend Horton Heat, Steve Forbert, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia