Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 10,568 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So I will start with a little background information. I am originally from a small town about 30 minutes east of Lexington, Ky. My family and I moved to Las Vegas in 2008 for job opportunities and did very well there but didn't really like the town or the hot summers much. It was also hard to find quality friends and the schools were terrrible. In 2011 my husband received a job offer in St. Paul, Mn. The climate is much closer to what we are use to (just a tad colder in the winters and there are many museums and local businesses, which are a plus in our books. Also, it is a very educated state and the public schools are pretty good. However, it has not been quite as perfect as we had hoped. It has been quite challenging to meet friends here as well. In fact, the twin cities are kind of known for having people that were born here and never leave. They have the same friends their entire lives and are not very welcoming to newcomers. There is a saying that Minnesota nice really stands for Minnesota ice Something that I wish I had known before we moved. Also, the houses here are expensive and the inventory is limited. A 900 square foot 2 bed 1 bath home where we live could easliy go for $250,000, and being from Ky that just doesn't sit well with me

So that brings us to our current situation. My husband is interviewing for a job in pakersburg. It actually pays more than what here makes here, and for $250,000 we could get a bit more than 900 sqft!
The schools as far as I can tell are great, and I'm hoping we will be able to make a real home there with real friends that actually invite you over for a bbq now and then. Also, family is only 3 hours east, which is a huge plus.

So my concerns are this: I grew up in a small town and really didn't like it, will I have enough to do there? Are people welcoming to newcomers? Are the housing prices really as low as what I have found in searches? And lastly, I am a real estate agent, and although my husband makes enough for me to not work, I want to work. As a realtor, will I have employment?

I really want this to work out and I am actually looking forward to having a slower paced life. We are tired of moving and want a place settle down Thanks in advance for your input! And for reading my novel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,893,669 times
You should be fine in Wood County. Although some feel "there is nothing to do here", I think it is what you want to put into it.
There is the Smoot Theatre, Actor's Guild, and Parkersburg Art Center that all do great activities. Blennerhassett Island and the museum provide great history tours along with the Oil and Gas Museum. You also are only 30 minutes from Marietta, OH that has many activities.

Social acceptance is something everybody needs to work on to get into activities but I feel there are opportunities for all who want to take the time.

Schools are no problem -- Wood County has produced many graduates from all the leading higher ed institutions in the US.

Several realty companies in the area so you should not be lacking there either.

If you can afford $250,000 for a home, you will be able to get quite more house than 900 sq ft for sure.

Good luck, I think you could be happy here even if I am prejudiced about the area. LOL

Old 04-09-2013, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the reply!

It really does sound like a good fit. And I agree that most people who can't find things to do are just looking for other people to entertain them. As long as there is a bar I can visit once in a while, that's all of the night life I need!

Are there many independent restaurants in parkersburg?

The theaters sound great! My husband and I are both musicians so the arts are important to us.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:19 PM

16,744 posts, read 15,772,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad35 View Post
Thanks for the reply!

It really does sound like a good fit. And I agree that most people who can't find things to do are just looking for other people to entertain them. As long as there is a bar I can visit once in a while, that's all of the night life I need!

Are there many independent restaurants in parkersburg?

The theaters sound great! My husband and I are both musicians so the arts are important to us.
The North End Tavern (known locally as the NET) is a brew pub reputed to have great food along with beer brewed on site.

You may need to see what is required to license a real estate broker in WV, just so you're prepared when you get here.

Parkersburg will seem like a metropolis compared to 50 miles east of Lexington.

You haven't said yet what kind of music you play, but there may be an appropriate outlet nearby.

Edit: I just found out there is a community band in St. Marys: http://www.newsandsentinel.com/page/....html?nav=5056

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-09-2013 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 04-09-2013, 12:32 PM

North end tavern, got it!

I've done some research on the license and it seems like I will just have to retake the exam and present a certification of my current license and my pre-license course completion certificates.

It was actually 30 min east thank you very much! But knowing there is much more to do makes me feel better

I play classical, clarinet. He is percussion and plays all types.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Edit: I just found out there is a community band in St. Marys: Community band practicing - NewsandSentinel.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Parkersburg News and Sentinel[/quote]

That's great! This place just keeps getting better and better!

Don't get my hopes up too high! He doesn't have the job yet!

Old 04-09-2013, 12:38 PM

16,744 posts, read 15,772,655 times
Quote:
North end tavern, got it!

I've done some research on the license and it seems like I will just have to retake the exam and present a certification of my current license and my pre-license course completion certificates.

It was actually 30 min east thank you very much! But knowing there is much more to do makes me feel better

I play classical, clarinet. He is percussion and plays all types.
Band geeks have to look out for each other!

Old 04-09-2013, 12:39 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,248,426 times
Quote:
Hi,

I really want this to work out and I am actually looking forward to having a slower paced life. We are tired of moving and want a place settle down Thanks in advance for your input! And for reading my novel
I'll join the others in saying that I think you'll like Parkersburg. As cities go in WV, it's fairly large, about 30,000 in the city itself, and along with Marietta OH across the river, is the largest area between Wheeling and Huntington.

Because it's really not all that large, you can live anywhere from a downtown condo to a farmette in the exurbs and still not be far from anything. $250K should easily get you a 2500 sq ft, 4BR, 2.5BA house on 1/2 to an acre.

It's fairly far from the WV mountains, so while you will have a winter, snowfalls above 6" and temps under +10 degrees will be rare (but not impossible).

Good Luck!

Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Band geeks have to look out for each other!
That's right! We actually went to music school not too far from huntington. Morehead

Old 04-09-2013, 12:53 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,893,669 times
Currently, the best local restaurant is either Paradise Grill or go to Williamstown for da Vinci's.

There is also JP Henrys that is a sports type bar and maybe the oldest in town is Columbo's. There is one on the river called Kokomos but I have never been there.

Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesday, Applebees, Logan's Steakhouse, Texas Roadhouse, Buffalo Wild Wings and Cheddars are the main chains that serve alcohol that come to my feeble mind immediately.

Corner Cafe and Mary B's are too small home-cooking places that make great home-made pies. The airport restaurant used to have great pies at Mary's Plane View but the last couple times I have been there they were out of pie. I heard the airport restaurant has changed hands as Mary retired and sold out so that may be the reason I feel it slipped.

If you are the artsy type then you will settle into this area just fine because between Parkersburg and Marietta, you can be very busy.

Good luck on getting the job and moving to our area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia