Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 05:40 PM

7 posts, read 28,287 times

Advertisements

My husband is currently pursuing a Pastor job near by. Would someone please be kind enough to tell me about Belington. For example, what is the economy like? Are there jobs there or in a near by town? What are the schools like? Are the people fairly friendly there? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading this and for any help you can offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 05:47 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
At one time Belington was known for having a speed trap. ha ha ha..

If it has any economy it would center around the volunteer fire department...most have some kind of charity event each year. I don't think the gas station is still in business. Maybe one little homegrown convenience store...
Belington is a sign on a short straight segment of 2 lane highway near Elkins.
Elkins, Buckhannon and Philippi have 'enconomy's because each host small colleges and larger populations...
I would suggest living near the Elkins area...everything is there..
It's as good as WV gets...about 10 miles away.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:33 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
Yeah, Elkins would be the closest area with a decent amount of stores. Its only about a15 minute commute. Elkins has a hospital, physician offices, more shopping available, more services available in general.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:24 PM

27 posts, read 107,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgstone View Post
tell me about Belington. For example, what is the economy like? Are there jobs there or in a near by town? What are the schools like? Are the people fairly friendly there? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading this and for any help you can offer
Hello,
I think Belington is a very friendly little town. Not much economy. Not many jobs available. Not much to pick from in the way of shopping. Has a nice grocery store. It is a small county town. I lived in a even smaller township close by. Was in Belington a lot and Philippi. Go to Elkins when you want to do some serious shopping or job hunting.
Philippi is a very pretty little town. More stores, and probably more jobs. Has a small hospital. Has everything you need only on smaller scale. Hope you find what you are looking for real soon. WVrose

Old 12-03-2007, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 28,287 times
Default Thank you

I just wanted to let all of you know how much I appreciated you input. Here are a few more questions if you have time....Is it very mountainy there? Are the roads bad? What are the schools like? Is Belington mostly a retirement community or are there lots of young families?

Old 12-03-2007, 03:20 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
Its hilly but not in the heart of the mountains...the land around Elkins is lovely. The road structure at Belington is the same as it was in the 1950's, excepting the nearby 4 lane transversing from Elkins to Buckhannon. I don't think Belington has a school now.
A few old returnees may call Belington home...but as I said before, its a blip on the map..just a sign...Unless it has seen a lot of growth in the past 10 years...Its a sign on the highway, with some houses...just that.
GHO can you help?

Old 12-03-2007, 09:26 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
Well, I'm really not into bashing places. My aunt lives in Belington, she is the Barbour County assessor. But I personally would not want to live in Barbour county or Belington really. Its just not for me, Elkins is not so huge where life is fast and stuff. You can still have all the joys of small town living while having easy access to larger towns, more shopping, and services. Same thing with Buckhannon. Elkins is becoming a really nice town, we are getting new stores, and downtown is getting revitalized with the remergence of the railroad as a tourist attraction. Some sites you can play with if you'd like.

Elkins, West Virginia

http://www.wvescapes.com/elkins/inde...&sa=N&SCO=true

Elkins Has Rich Railroad History | The InterMountain

Randolph first settled in 1753 | The InterMountain

Mountain State Forest Festival - Elkins, West Virginia

Augusta Heritage Center in Elkins, West Virginia, is a non-profit organization which teaches workshops, presents, nurtures, and documents traditional arts in Music, Dance, Craft, Folklore.

Last edited by GottaHerdOn; 12-03-2007 at 09:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia