Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:24 PM

76 posts, read 362,902 times

Advertisements

Could someone tell me about the Martinsburg, West Virginia area? Is it a mix diversity of people? How are the public schools? Would appreciate any information.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 03:37 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,268,770 times
If I were only intending to work in D.C. for a few years, I would forgo the pain and stress of the long commute and live closer. Germantown, Columbia or Frederick, Md and its surrounds is a great place to live with new schools, parks and other amenities. I would find a temporary home there with the idea of selling it later. I would shop for a weekend home in WV...something rural. Martinsburg is hard to describe...grown to fast and is out of control....there are previous blogs in this forum that address Martinsburg in detail...give them a look.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:40 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,968,022 times
Well, I can tell you this. The Martinsburg area is building several new schools to deal with the extra student growth. So the schools should be newer and modern. I hear Hedgesville district is the best. So you might want to check into that.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:36 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,366,874 times
Im sure I will get a few comments, but this is my humble opinion about the B'urg.
I was born and raised in Martinsburg, graduated from Hedgesville, attended Shepherd College before finishing at American.

Before the 80's Martinsburg was quaint little town. Very Norman Rockwell, friendly folks who looked out for each other, good paying employment with DuPont, Martin Marietta, Corning Glass, etc., I would at that time said come on down.

Fast forward to the B'urg in 2007.
Today, downtown is old, dirty, with no pride, the above "good paying" areas of employment are now closed. Walking Queen street is an experiment all in itself. It has become a bedroom community of Washington DC. The schools are crowded with issues. Martinsburg High, North and South Middle etc. again, issues.

For a town of its size, today's Martinsburg has a crime rate of almost double the national average. As far as diversity? Well, if you count the number of Used Car Lots and Booby Bar locations you may find some.
All one needs to do is travel up Rt11 and see what has become of this location. What used to be a good diner is now a pregnancy center, what was a good restaurant is now a hole in the wall called Zero. The only deli located downtown is closing due to lack of business.

As Mr. Kennedy stated, if you are looking to move out of the DC area look toward Frederick or Thurmont and stay away from the B'urg.

As an FYI, there is no zoning at all in Berkeley County so you may find your new home beside a trailer park, junk yard, or for that matter a new used car lot or Booby bar. Sad, but true.

I'm sure I will have some shots fired as I usually do, but just giving you my honest opinion.
Take a drive, go around downtown, try the east side. Oh yeah, if you become ill make sure you go to Winchester for health care. All you need to do is google the medical ratings and see for yourself where the B'urg rates on healthcare and quality of.

Regards

Old 11-04-2007, 03:26 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,082,986 times
Actually Georgia that just about sums it up. The is town trying to bring culture, But sadly fails the handicap as there is no assability to the culture they are trying to bring. And when you bring it up "The building was built before ADA so why should we change."

The new sign should say WV closed to business & handicap!

Old 11-05-2007, 02:11 PM

19,375 posts, read 22,315,065 times
Like a lot of towns in WV, it all depends on where you go. There are some really nice spots along S. Queen and W. King St, as well as the Rosemont area. Outside of town the areas near Arden and Back Creek are really very attractive.

Zoning is an issue, but with the influx of new residents a changing wind is blowing. I would give zoning a greater than 50% chance of being approved in Berkeley county within the next 24 months. And I might add- not many counties have zoning. Actually, I think Jefferson county is one of the only counties that has zoning in West Virginia. (It should be noted that the City of Martinsburg does have 'zoning', and has had it for quite a long time).

Sure the area is changing. The entire Shenandoah Valley region is changing. What's happening in Martinsburg is happening in Hagerstown MD, Winchester VA, and some other towns here and there, especially along the US 81 corridor. Growth has to go 'somewhere', and with the cross section of available interstates it makes sense to put the growth where the infrastructure can service it. Because the Martinsburg / Berkeley county area is serviced by the interstate you can choose to shop or receive services in Winchester, Hagerstown or Martinsburg. If you want to live next door to a great hospital then sure, move to Winchester. If you can stand to drive 30 minutes- who cares?

Schools are a story in of itself. The state of WV controls salaries, and there exists no cost of living adjustments for Eastern Panhandle teachers. We have to compete with neighboring states that pay a starting wage in excess of $10-15,000 more p/yr. That makes recruitment tough. However- our kids are receiving a good education in South Berkeley County. There are dedicated teachers with tenure that love their system. Berkeley County residents have historically stepped up to the plate to ensure adequate excess levies are passed to fund new school projects. The bricks and sticks are not the problem, the level of teacher dedication is not the problem, it's the state that is the problem.

In a nutshell- It's a county in transition. Some people like it, some people don't. I can however assure you there are some really nice places live in and around the Eastern Panhandle and yes, it is diverse and yes, it's been a great place for my family thusfar.

It sure beats the hell out of Rockville, Germantown or even Frederick, for that matter.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:59 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,366,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Like a lot of towns in WV, it all depends on where you go. There are some really nice spots along S. Queen and W. King St, as well as the Rosemont area. Outside of town the areas near Arden and Back Creek are really very attractive.

Zoning is an issue, but with the influx of new residents a changing wind is blowing. I would give zoning a greater than 50% chance of being approved in Berkeley county within the next 24 months. And I might add- not many counties have zoning. Actually, I think Jefferson county is one of the only counties that has zoning in West Virginia. (It should be noted that the City of Martinsburg does have 'zoning', and has had it for quite a long time).

Sure the area is changing. The entire Shenandoah Valley region is changing. What's happening in Martinsburg is happening in Hagerstown MD, Winchester VA, and some other towns here and there, especially along the US 81 corridor. Growth has to go 'somewhere', and with the cross section of available interstates it makes sense to put the growth where the infrastructure can service it. Because the Martinsburg / Berkeley county area is serviced by the interstate you can choose to shop or receive services in Winchester, Hagerstown or Martinsburg. If you want to live next door to a great hospital then sure, move to Winchester. If you can stand to drive 30 minutes- who cares?

Schools are a story in of itself. The state of WV controls salaries, and there exists no cost of living adjustments for Eastern Panhandle teachers. We have to compete with neighboring states that pay a starting wage in excess of $10-15,000 more p/yr. That makes recruitment tough. However- our kids are receiving a good education in South Berkeley County. There are dedicated teachers with tenure that love their system. Berkeley County residents have historically stepped up to the plate to ensure adequate excess levies are passed to fund new school projects. The bricks and sticks are not the problem, the level of teacher dedication is not the problem, it's the state that is the problem.

In a nutshell- It's a county in transition. Some people like it, some people don't. I can however assure you there are some really nice places live in and around the Eastern Panhandle and yes, it is diverse and yes, it's been a great place for my family thusfar.

It sure beats the hell out of Rockville, Germantown or even Frederick, for that matter.
Well said, Three Run.

I do slam my hometown much in regard to the lack of pride to bringing our historical downtown area to the level which the folks have done in CTown, Sheptown, Berkeley Bath, and Harpers Ferry. Of the surrounding locations, there is no other town more historical than Martinsburg. I am one of the grumpy ones who remembers what downtown Martinsburg once was, for that matter much of the area.

You hit the nail on the head about the state being a problem. WV is a central government controlled state. Everything comes out of Charleston. Been that way since 1863 and do not see the current Gov. doing anything to make it any different.

With this said, on a local level Berkeley does have to do something about the trashy bars popping up all over the place, I was in town a few weeks back and did the drive through, could not believe it! Heck, even on Edwin Miller, the business sector with new building going on has a bar or something stuck right in the middle, close to the Dunkin Donut shop.
As for the South Side, Rt 11 needs an overhaul by the VA border.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:37 PM

19,375 posts, read 22,315,065 times
Until they enact zoning, there is little the Berkeley County Commission can do about it. If they did, they would violate state law. You're right about the centralized government. It sucks donkey nuts. Old Dillon state mentality.. Until then, booby bars and gambling joints are restricted from within 500' (I believe) of schools, churches and maybe a smattering of other establishments.

The old timers are the one's really against the zoning issue. They grab the flag and start waving "Mountaineer's are FREE!!!", even if that mean's spoiling your neighbors life.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:29 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,410,609 times
i live a little west of martinsburg,right on the berkeley/morgan county line on the berkeley side.i think its ok,i wouldnt want to live in martinsburg myself but some like it there ok.ive been happy with the hedgesville schools,and while there is no zoning most subdivisions do have covenents regarding what goes on and many semirural houses are in some sort of subdivision.if you are worried about your neighbors move to one.i dont think its the greatest place ive ever lived but i'd much rather live here then anywhere in maryland and i do commute every day as i would much rather have my family here then there regardless of the 'pita 'commute

Old 11-11-2007, 05:36 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,968,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Until they enact zoning, there is little the Berkeley County Commission can do about it. If they did, they would violate state law. You're right about the centralized government. It sucks donkey nuts. Old Dillon state mentality.. Until then, booby bars and gambling joints are restricted from within 500' (I believe) of schools, churches and maybe a smattering of other establishments.

The old timers are the one's really against the zoning issue. They grab the flag and start waving "Mountaineer's are FREE!!!", even if that mean's spoiling your neighbors life.
So true, they get freaked out and think zoning regulations = communism and having their rights being stripped away from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia