Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 03:30 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times

Advertisements

My nephew is attending a state school that is large in his home state of NJ. He's been there for two years and has been taught by a lot of teaching assistants. It's very impersonal.

He is looking to transfer to a college as a Junior. He has a 3.00 average. West Virginia is one of the states he's interested in.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 04:09 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
My nephew is attending a state school that is large in his home state of NJ. He's been there for two years and has been taught by a lot of teaching assistants. It's very impersonal.

He is looking to transfer to a college as a Junior. He has a 3.00 average. West Virginia is one of the states he's interested in.

Only good school in WV is WVU. It is very popular with people from NJ and many find it cheaper to attend out of state WVU than in state NJ. The rest of the schools in WV are jokes.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:39 PM

941 posts, read 1,356,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Only good school in WV is WVU. It is very popular with people from NJ and many find it cheaper to attend out of state WVU than in state NJ. The rest of the schools in WV are jokes.
WVU is NOT the only good school in the state and the others are NOT jokes!

WVU is a good school but not what I think the poster is looking for. WVU is relatively large and the most expensive school for out-of-state students in WV (outside of private schools). Marshall University is probably too big as well. I would recommend, in no particular order, West Liberty University, Glenville State College, Fairmont State University, or Concord University. All are good schools and small enough that ur nephew will get the personal attention that I'm sure he wants/needs. Out-of-state tuition is always more expensive anywhere and that is including these schools as well.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
WVU is NOT the only good school in the state and the others are NOT jokes!

WVU is a good school but not what I think the poster is looking for. WVU is relatively large and the most expensive school for out-of-state students in WV (outside of private schools). Marshall University is probably too big as well. I would recommend, in no particular order, West Liberty University, Glenville State College, Fairmont State University, or Concord University. All are good schools and small enough that ur nephew will get the personal attention that I'm sure he wants/needs. Out-of-state tuition is always more expensive anywhere and that is including these schools as well.
Yes it is. It is the only one worth considering.

If they are not going to WVU there is nothing for them in WV.

What the issue for the OP seems to be is how impersonal their current school is. At the junior level they should not be taught by teaching assistants. At the freshman and Sophomore level I dont really see a problem at this but Junior and beyond should be by professors. At WVU they should not get many TAs for junior level courses or large courses.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:53 PM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times
Here are some links for Marshall University that you may find helpful.

Marshall University

2013-14 | Marshall University Office of the Bursar

Old 06-20-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Here are some links for Marshall University that you may find helpful.

Marshall University

2013-14 | Marshall University Office of the Bursar
Id avoid Marshall if I were you. It is a regional commuter school with a bad reputation in all of WV except Huntington where it is located. Huntington is not known as a nice place, it is a rust belt city that lost half of its population. It is the most poverty stricken area in WV, which is the 2nd poorest state, it is the 2nd most miserable and unhappy city in the US, and it is the 2nd most obese city in the US. Marshall is for locals to the area who cannot get into better schools.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:34 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Definitely tell him to check out West Virginia University. It is a 6 hour drive from New Jersey, and is the state's comprehensive, Land Grant, doctoral level university. It is also located in a college town atmosphere, and is near wonderful outdoor amenities in a growing and prosperous town with a very low crime rate.

Home | Office of Admissions | West Virginia University

City of Morgantown, WV official website | City of Morgantown, WV

Photo and Video Galleries | Greater Morgantown CVB

Coopers Rock State Forest

Welcome ...

Old 06-23-2013, 03:58 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,578 times
Actually if he wants to avoid TAs and the impersonal feel of Rutgers, stay away from WVU as its no different than any of the standard large state schools. Marshall's a bit better, but if he really wants a personal experience with the school and its professors, then he should look at attending smaller schools (IE- Bethany, WV Wesleyan, ect.) As for small publics in the state, I've heard good things about West Liberty University and Shepherd University, however I've also heard that Shepherd can be a pain to deal with on transferring in credits.

In the end though, it really depends on what he wants to major in and where that major is offered.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Actually if he wants to avoid TAs and the impersonal feel of Rutgers, stay away from WVU as its no different than any of the standard large state schools. Marshall's a bit better, but if he really wants a personal experience with the school and its professors, then he should look at attending smaller schools (IE- Bethany, WV Wesleyan, ect.) As for small publics in the state, I've heard good things about West Liberty University and Shepherd University, however I've also heard that Shepherd can be a pain to deal with on transferring in credits.

In the end though, it really depends on what he wants to major in and where that major is offered.
Again none of those schools, besides WVU, are any good.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:38 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post

Well if you want to go to the Number 1 ranked Party school by The Princeton Review, then look no further than WVU for a degree in Higher Education.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/21/living...a-party-school

Academically, WVU is the 165 ranked National University by the U.S. News and World Report with a 84% acceptance rate, so with your G.P.A. you should have no trouble getting in.

West Virginia University | Best College | US News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia