Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:30 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Personally I find Canaan Valley/Dolly Sods/Black Water Falls the best for hiking. It is probably the most diverse hiking atmosphere in the state and has miles upon miles of trail that runs through several state parks and recreation areas.

I think the most extensive mass transit system is the Charleston area's KRT bus lines. I'd say Morgantown having the Mountain Line and PRT system is a close second, but it simply doesn't cover the mileage the KRT does. I live 20 miles from downtown, and if I wanted to i could take the bus to anywhere with in Charleston's metro. I've never done so, but no doubt it is the most distance covered transit line in the state.

As for weather, I really think WV has the perfect climate. Not too much of anything, and all four seasons are clearly present and distinguishable!
I also want to say there is a definite need for daily bus runs between Morgantown and Charleston. If we could get the same sort of subsidies the Kanawha System gets to operate their busses from Charleston the Huntington, the Morgantown transit folks have already indicated they would operate such a route effectively connecting North Central West Virginia with Charleston via public transit. As it stands, there is no way to get to Charleston from anywhere north of Sutton unless you go to Richmond via DC or Cincinnati first. Charleston is probably the most disconnected captial city from regions of its own state in the whole country.

We can get to Pittsburgh or DC and Balitmore easily from here. It is next to impossible to get to Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 08:00 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
That's not entirely Charleston's fault. There used to be Greyhound service between Charleston and Morgantown. But Morgantown closed their Greyhound station for some reason.
If the Charleston Greyhound bus stops around Clarksburg or Fairmont, you could catch the Mountain Line from there.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:17 AM

437 posts, read 649,690 times
I'm more interested in taking public transportation to things like the grocery store, the hospital, the library, a pharmacy..... if not within walking distance, for someone who cannot walk far. I'm about to be labeled "disabled" by the government, and wanting to move somewhere to "age". *I'm 51 now*. No car, and have some days where I can walk without problem, others.... not so much.

SO if I cannot find a town/city where the transit system is reliable and plentiful, I'll have to find Mayberry. WVA has amazing weather, compared to Chicago, some absolutely beautiful areas, some bigger cities, and some adorable little towns.

Nirvana doesn't exist, and as we age, it's important to make sure we get as close to it, as possible.

Thank you for the continued discussions!

bullie~

Old 07-14-2013, 09:44 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
You have to get a little more specific in what you want. Charleston, Morgantown and say Parkersburg are all different areas.

Morgantown will lean to a college town. Charleston is the state Capital and Parkersburg is simply a larger small town.

Mid-Ohio Valley Transit Authority

Old 07-14-2013, 10:09 AM

In delving further into Morgantown, yesterday, I found out how MUCH of a college town it is. I don't mind the young energy, and yet, it seemed solely geared towards them.

Charleston was a bit unattainable with regard to public transportation for basic needs.

Parkersburg is new to me. Thank you. I now have something to do!

bullie~

Old 07-14-2013, 11:42 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Check into Huntington. Huntington is a good mix of everything, being the second largest city and home to the second largest university in Marshall. There's almost always something going on here and our downtown is really growing, thanks in large part to Pullman Square. Getting around is a little easier here due to the city being mostly flat. For public transit, TTA goes to most of the major points of interest in town. They also have stops spread throughout the residential neighborhoods for easy access as well. Here is their website and let me know if you'd like any other info on Huntington.

Tri-State Transit Authority

Old 07-14-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Check into Huntington. Huntington is a good mix of everything, being the second largest city and home to the second largest university in Marshall. There's almost always something going on here and our downtown is really growing, thanks in large part to Pullman Square. Getting around is a little easier here due to the city being mostly flat. For public transit, TTA goes to most of the major points of interest in town. They also have stops spread throughout the residential neighborhoods for easy access as well. Here is their website and let me know if you'd like any other info on Huntington.

Tri-State Transit Authority
Thank you, SO much! I would never have thought it was so difficult to find a "condo" or a living space without much need for upkeep.

Beautiful single family homes in Parkersburg..... but not one condo.

OK!! I'm off to check out Huntington.

Ya'll are so kind, and so helpful. I'm very grateful!

bullie~

Old 07-14-2013, 12:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
There are condo's in the Parkersburg area but I'm not sure how many are on the bus route.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:45 PM

I'm becoming enthralled with Huntington..... I believe I've spent three hours doing research on it. lol

bullie~

Old 07-14-2013, 04:08 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
I'm becoming enthralled with Huntington..... I believe I've spent three hours doing research on it. lol

bullie~
Great! Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions. I really love it here myself!

Tim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia