Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 08:53 PM

437 posts, read 649,372 times

Advertisements

So howz about we IGNORE and only respond to that which we find VALUABLE? Seems to me, from years (*ugh*) of experience, that once you stop feeding the troll, they starve.

NOT calling anyone names.... not my point. Merely suggesting that intelligent minds converge and communicate, and ignore that which doesn't fit the agenda.

Deal?

bullie~

EDIT after reading a certain poster's "addition" to quite a few threads. Here's the truth.... If you even give a ONE WORD ANSWER, the fuel has been added. If you STOP answering in ANY fashion or thought, the fire dies. The embers are swept away by the wind to another place, to cause more harm, OR are left to DIE where they stand.

Your choice, folks.

SO!!!!!!!! How about them Chicago Blackhawks, huh???

Now, tell me what's amazing about YOUR WVA town!!!!!!

LET'S ROCK THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!

bullie~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 07:39 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The comment had nothing to do with the city itself.
It sure sounds like it does. Read it.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 AM

What part of WVA is the most beautiful for hiking?

What part is conducive to someone who relies on public transportation?

What are your weather concerns in WVA?

Thank!

bullie~

Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post

Thank!

bullie~
There are several beautiful hiking destinations in West Virginia. Among them is the lovely Coopers Rock State Forest near Morgantown.

Morgantown has the most extensive public transportation system in our state combining the resources of the public transit bus system and the renowned PRT operated by West Virginia University.

The primary weather concerns in our state are conditions leading to flash flooding.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
There are several beautiful hiking destinations in West Virginia. Among them is the lovely Coopers Rock State Forest near Morgantown.

Morgantown has the most extensive public transportation system in our state combining the resources of the public transit bus system and the renowned PRT operated by West Virginia University.

The primary weather concerns in our state are conditions leading to flash flooding.
u

Thank you, CTM. Gonna scour the threads about Morgantown. I have a biker friend who lives there, and the areas near him are so beautiful. He's tucked away, on a very private lot, *good thing, as the sound of pipes from him and the rest of us, can be VERY loud. lol

bullie~

Old 07-13-2013, 10:44 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
It sure sounds like it does. Read it.
Sorry about that then. It wasn't meant to. I have absolutely nothing against Morgantown, WVU or any of the people that live there.

I don't have anything against any place in WV. I like some places better than others but since I've actually only been in Morgantown 3-4 times I've never offered an opinion on it.

I am sure it's a fine city.

My remark was directed toward those who constantly post about it even where not relevant. But that seems to be covered.

Now.....moving on. I found a 1954 Magic Chef oven at a yard sale a few weeks ago. It was in great shape. I was checking it out and the owner said that if they didn't sell it that day they were going to scrap it. I couldn't let that happen. I made an offer, they accepted and I took it home.

I advertised it a few places and sold it to a couple in North Carolina. They drove up last night and this morning to get it. They noted that the drive through WV was a very nice one and they really liked the small town look of Williamstown (where I live).

I told them to make sure to stop at Tamarack on the way back home.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:51 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post

Thank!

bullie~
A hike up Seneca Rocks is always worth the view once you get to the top. (the last time I went was on horseback though)

Most of my hiking outside of that is with waders on walking the rivers outside of Elkins trout fishing in the National Forest.

I am not familiar with Morgantowns public transportation but from what I've seen it's likely fits the description. In Vienna/Parkersburg they have public buses. They are inexpensive but they are basically run on the main routes. Which is fine of you are close to them.

It can get a bit humid here along the Ohio River. We will get a bit of flooding now and then also.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:08 AM

Thank you. I'll check Vienna/Parkersburg out!

And oh, to ride horseback through such beauty.. I can only hope to be able to, just once.

bullie~

Old 07-13-2013, 04:54 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Personally I find Canaan Valley/Dolly Sods/Black Water Falls the best for hiking. It is probably the most diverse hiking atmosphere in the state and has miles upon miles of trail that runs through several state parks and recreation areas.

I think the most extensive mass transit system is the Charleston area's KRT bus lines. I'd say Morgantown having the Mountain Line and PRT system is a close second, but it simply doesn't cover the mileage the KRT does. I live 20 miles from downtown, and if I wanted to i could take the bus to anywhere with in Charleston's metro. I've never done so, but no doubt it is the most distance covered transit line in the state.

As for weather, I really think WV has the perfect climate. Not too much of anything, and all four seasons are clearly present and distinguishable!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Personally I find Canaan Valley/Dolly Sods/Black Water Falls the best for hiking. It is probably the most diverse hiking atmosphere in the state and has miles upon miles of trail that runs through several state parks and recreation areas.

I think the most extensive mass transit system is the Charleston area's KRT bus lines. I'd say Morgantown having the Mountain Line and PRT system is a close second, but it simply doesn't cover the mileage the KRT does. I live 20 miles from downtown, and if I wanted to i could take the bus to anywhere with in Charleston's metro. I've never done so, but no doubt it is the most distance covered transit line in the state.

As for weather, I really think WV has the perfect climate. Not too much of anything, and all four seasons are clearly present and distinguishable!
You are right that our transit system doesn't cover as many miles, but neighboring and connecting systems do. We have connections from Fairmont and Uniontown here, and Fairmont has connections with Clarksburg as well as the daily commuter busses between all of those cities. I wasn't referring to the number of miles our particular systems cover. I was talking about usage, making the switch in Uniontown. That said, there is more to be done her in that regard. The PRT is in need of expansion, but it is very expensive to do it.

Mountain Line and the PRT each have over 1 million riders every year. The combined total is easily the largest in our state for mass transit usage in a single city. Most of that takes place within just 10 square miles. Harrison, Marion, Preston, and Fayette (PA) counties also operate public transit systems which can be utilized to get to Morgantown connections. You can also use the Fayette system to connect with Pittsburgh public transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia