Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 05:46 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,832,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Welcome to Fatville: Burgers as big as dustbin lids, coffins that need cranes, and obese children having heart attacks - it is the supersized U.S. town causing Jamie Oliver such despair
I found this kinda depressing that this one area is giving all of WV a bad name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 05:59 PM

4,934 posts, read 8,884,668 times
An article from 3 years ago? I thought you were only interested in the present?

You continue to prove my point. You are so afraid that Morgantown can't measure up on its positive attributes alone, you have to do stuff like this. Especially when you are proven wrong.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
An article from 3 years ago? I thought you were only interested in the present?

You continue to prove my point. You are so afraid that Morgantown can't measure up on its positive attributes alone, you have to do stuff like this. Especially when you are proven wrong.
What are you talking about? Morgantown has nothing to do with the area in question. If you can show things have gotten better please do so.

Anyway this was in the UK's second best selling paper.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:19 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,488,188 times
Although this article is from a foreign nation and depressing, it's true! Look around, almost anywhere you go in the entire state you can find the famous golden arches. Look at almost every little town in WV, where the only "food" they can get out is fast food. It's unfortunate, but most of the rural portions of the state cannot support healthier, more sophisticated options. That's nothing against the state either, it has to do with the corporations. There is no demand in these regions, therefore they do not locate there. Nationwide, we live in an era where nobody cooks because it's much easier and more convenient to go to a local restaurant. This, along with the combination of practically no fitness centers compared to other states and the lack of health education amongst youth.

Again, by saying this I am not trying to degrade the state or its people in anyway. I love WV, and have traveled through almost every corner of it. I don't think by just talking about an issue we are degrading or humiliating any particular people or a specific region. I think issues like this need to be discussed, and action should happen. -mmccul

Last edited by mmccul; 07-06-2013 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 07-06-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Although this article is from a foreign nation and depressing, it's true! Look around, almost anywhere you go in the entire state you can find the famous golden arches. Look at almost every little town in WV, where the only "food" they can get out is fast food. It's unfortunate, but most of the rural portions of the state cannot support healthier, more sophisticated options. That's nothing against the state either, it has to do with the corporations. There is no demand in these regions, therefore they do not locate there. Nationwide, we live in an era where nobody cooks because it's much easier and more convenient to go to a local restaurant. This, along with the combination of practically no fitness centers compared to other states and the lack of health education amongst youth.

Again, by saying this I am not trying to degrade the state or its people in anyway. I love WV, and have traveled through almost every corner of it. I don't think by just talking about an issue we are degrading or humiliating any particular people or a specific region. I think issues like this need to be discussed, and action should happen. -mmccul
What I found shocking is how kids in Huntington dont even know what vegetables are and some people thought Jamie Oliver was delivered to them from God. That is terrible!

Also, I found it funny that some residents refused to believe the statistics despite not understanding them. I wouldnt be surprised if they posted on this board.

Anyway, that non-profit Jamie Oliver setup did help some people but it was closed due to a lack of interest.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:13 PM

4,934 posts, read 8,884,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
I whole heatedly agree with this. Unfortunately, that was not the point of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Anyway, that non-profit Jamie Oliver setup did help some people but it was closed due to a lack of interest.
Huntington's Kitchen did not close. It is still open and going strong. Huntington is making strides in this area for sure but these things take time. Thankfully, Huntington is setting an example for the rest of the state, especially with the fresh school lunches, bike lanes, etc.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I whole heatedly agree with this. Unfortunately, that was not the point of this thread.

Huntington's Kitchen did not close. It is still open and going strong. Huntington is making strides in this area for sure but these things take time. Thankfully, Huntington is setting an example for the rest of the state, especially with the fresh school lunches, bike lanes, etc.
Oh good, I thought it closed when it lost funding due to lack of interest. Hopefully now the kids of Huntington know what a vegetable looks like and are having less heart attacks.

Im not sure if Huntington is really setting a good example by being so obese. On the one hand Charleston did surpass it, but is that due to Huntington being healthier or Charleston just being worst?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia