Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 06:27 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,035,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Wood county is in Northern WV, it is in or near the wet shale area, and it has oil as well as gas. It makes sense to build a cracker there. Charleston, not so much.

We lost out because the state tried to promote growth in a limited area that didnt make any economic sense.

There is no conspiracy. Just a clear preference by the state for certain areas of the state that get most of the funding and support.
There were rumblings all along in the Northern Panhandle that the Boss Hogg administration was quietly trying to steer the cracker away from the best natural locations in the Panhandle toward the totally illogical Kanawha area, inevitably resulting in the PA location choice by Shell. They covertly partnered with Kanawha local interests to offer local "incentives" at the last minute while not promoting such a strategy in Marshall County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 06:45 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
There were rumblings all along in the Northern Panhandle that the Boss Hogg administration was quietly trying to steer the cracker away from the best natural locations in the Panhandle toward the totally illogical Kanawha area, inevitably resulting in the PA location choice by Shell. They covertly partnered with Kanawha local interests to offer local "incentives" at the last minute while not promoting such a strategy in Marshall County.
You are so full of govt conspiracy theories, I think you should join the AboveTopSecret forums.

Seriously though, you come across as a little jealous of the Huntington/Charleston area because you can't go a full post without talking about either of the two cities. Remember you are the one that keeps reiterating that folks north of Sutton don't think about the cities in southern WV.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
You are so full of govt conspiracy theories, I think you should join the AboveTopSecret forums.

Seriously though, you come across as a little jealous of the Huntington/Charleston area because you can't go a full post without talking about either of the two cities. Remember you are the one that keeps reiterating that folks north of Sutton don't think about the cities in southern WV.
Silk, I didn't mention either city. Where are you getting that? I mentioned the Boss Hogg administration colluding with Kanawha. Many in the NP region believe that to be the case. Nobody there really believes the politicos in Charleston have their best interests at heart. They have been shafted by them too many times in the past.

Have you seen the new West Virginia Dept. of Commerce film promoting West Virginia as a place for business investment? It is virtually an advertisement for Charleston, Putnam, and Cabell while basically ignoring the many positive developments and assets in the rest of the state. The state's best employers are scarcely mentioned, the best parks not shown, and photo shot after photo shot gives focus to Charleston while the whole state is paying for it.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:37 PM

I have not seen the film CT, please post it on this forum to enjoy.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:08 PM

6,067 posts, read 9,088,396 times
This one?

WVDO - 2013 Business at the Speed of Life - YouTube

Old 09-12-2013, 06:50 PM

That's the one. Wheeling gets maybe 3 seconds in it. Martinsburg less than that. Morgantown gets 2 or 3 seconds. Charleston gets shown 7 or 8 times. I'm just pointing out that the mindset in our state government is far from even handed. People for the most part are well aware of that.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That's the one. Wheeling gets maybe 3 seconds in it. Martinsburg less than that. Morgantown gets 2 or 3 seconds. Charleston gets shown 7 or 8 times. I'm just pointing out that the mindset in our state government is far from even handed. People for the most part are well aware of that.
So your crying about the 3 second fly by over Woodburn Hall? There were many shots in the film that really could have been anywhere WV. Most of the video didn't try to single out specific locations. The video does a nice job of promoting WV's workforce and adaptability as a whole. So if this is the video you were referring to earlier, I don't see what you have to complain about as far as favoritism.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:32 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,945,217 times
I agree with silk. It showed several shots of the capital building, because it's the capital building. It didn't really highlight cities, just businesses. In terms of shots around counties, Mon county had as much if not more than Cabell County. Not sure what your problem is with it.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:35 PM

6,067 posts, read 9,088,396 times
I agree, seemed to do a good job just focusing on the businesses that are finding success. Sure it showed some shots of Charleston, but who cares?

Old 09-12-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
So your crying about the 3 second fly by over Woodburn Hall? There were many shots in the film that really could have been anywhere WV. Most of the video didn't try to single out specific locations. The video does a nice job of promoting WV's workforce and adaptability as a whole. So if this is the video you were referring to earlier, I don't see what you have to complain about as far as favoritism.
The ones that could have been anywhere could have been anywhere, as you pointed out. The ones made recognizable were tilted toward Kanawha. I'm not really complaining because in the big picture this is not even worth mentioning. I am merely pointing to a condition that has permeated our state government for decades and using this as but one symptom. It probably seems just fine to you if you are from the Charleston area, and you folks have long been conditioned to expect favorable treatment. It is important to realize, though, that folks from other parts of the state often see things differently.

I read posts on here about completing US 35 because Putnam is getting 80 new Toyota jobs. I'm not saying they don't need that road, but we are creating 80 new jobs here every 2 or 3 months and choking on traffic because the state has long neglected our needs. Try looking at it from our point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia