Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:16 PM

12 posts, read 21,775 times

Advertisements

cry_havoc - I'd be glad to take your money anytime you want to show up here. I won't say how fast the Nova is other than it's faster than my Vega - and the local dragstrip won't let me come back without a rollbar, parachute, and firesuit. I'll post pictures of the Vega motor, then the Nova.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 12:22 PM

Didn't have the nitrous on it when I took the picture. Just a little smallblock....lol

Old 09-05-2013, 12:30 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso451 View Post
cry_havoc - I'd be glad to take your money anytime you want to show up here. I won't say how fast the Nova is other than it's faster than my Vega - and the local dragstrip won't let me come back without a rollbar, parachute, and firesuit. I'll post pictures of the Vega motor, then the Nova.
Im not putting your car down. Im sure it is fun to drive. However, I dont care for drag racing. I know it is UmAmerican of me but cars going in a straight line is just boring to me. Also a porsche would probably beat that car going in a straight line.

When I drive I like cornering. It is about the feel. WV in that regard is a blast to drive in since the roads are windy. For the type of driving you like WV is not ideal. You would be better off in the MW or the SW where the roads are straight.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:20 PM

46 posts, read 67,754 times
Quote:
Didn't have the nitrous on it when I took the picture. Just a little smallblock....lol

Hey Dave,

Very NICE rides you have there!! I would love to have another Vega. Let me know when you get moved down to Beckley, have to come and see ya! I live in the Summersville area. So you wouldn't be too far away.

Later

Old 09-05-2013, 10:42 PM

It's all good, cry_havoc - the only thing I took offense to was the "destroy my Nova" statement. I can swap out the rear gears in about 45 minutes from 4.88's to 3.23's and come close to 200mph, although nowhere around here to top out to find out, and not sure I would want to! ;-) I know there are cars faster than mine, no big deal. I don't like to beat on it very often, I'm the 2nd owner and it has 99,467 miles on it - I have the full history including original bill of sale from the 1st owner (cost $2217 in '66). I restored it from junkyard condition and actually baby it more than I probably should! I'll post a pic of it of how I got it, below. The Vega had been modified By Don Hardy back in the late 70's - engine, tranny, and 12 bolt rear are all bolt in, no cutting or welding done. The '67 396 motor has been said to have been worked over by Grumpy Jenkins, although I have no proof from the previous owner. It's been bored to 402, and also is a nitrous motor with 9.5 - 1 forged pistons, 620 lift solid lifter Crane valvetrain. I prefer not to use nitrous on it because it's just too valuable to take the chance of it burping. The TH-400 has been redone by Jim Bersani (built and drives a pro-mod '57 chevy, amongst many others) up here with a reverse pattern manual shift with a transbrake. It also has a delay box with a 2-step. The 12 bolt has a spool with 4.88's. Fun car to drive!
Thanks John - I used to race a '69 390 Mach I in my teens, with a '70 440 Super Bee as my street car. Sold those when my wife went in the air force in 1980. I've been kicking myself for that ever since! So about 8 years ago I decided to get some "toys" again, now that the kids are grown. My wife says I'm just a big kid - she's right! ;-) Anyway, here's a before picture of the Nova - went all through it top to bottom - it's like a new car - new interior, fresh paint, etc. Lotta work, but all worth it now.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
It's all good, cry_havoc - the only thing I took offense to was the "destroy my Nova" statement. I can swap out the rear gears in about 45 minutes from 4.88's to 3.23's and come close to 200mph, although nowhere around here to top out to find out, and not sure I would want to! ;-) I know there are cars faster than mine, no big deal. I don't like to beat on it very often, I'm the 2nd owner and it has 99,467 miles on it - I have the full history including original bill of sale from the 1st owner (cost $2217 in '66). I restored it from junkyard condition and actually baby it more than I probably should! I'll post a pic of it of how I got it, below. The Vega had been modified By Don Hardy back in the late 70's - engine, tranny, and 12 bolt rear are all bolt in, no cutting or welding done. The '67 396 motor has been said to have been worked over by Grumpy Jenkins, although I have no proof from the previous owner. It's been bored to 402, and also is a nitrous motor with 9.5 - 1 forged pistons, 620 lift solid lifter Crane valvetrain. I prefer not to use nitrous on it because it's just too valuable to take the chance of it burping. The TH-400 has been redone by Jim Bersani (built and drives a pro-mod '57 chevy, amongst many others) up here with a reverse pattern manual shift with a transbrake. It also has a delay box with a 2-step. The 12 bolt has a spool with 4.88's. Fun car to drive!
Thanks John - I used to race a '69 390 Mach I in my teens, with a '70 440 Super Bee as my street car. Sold those when my wife went in the air force in 1980. I've been kicking myself for that ever since! So about 8 years ago I decided to get some "toys" again, now that the kids are grown. My wife says I'm just a big kid - she's right! ;-) Anyway, here's a before picture of the Nova - went all through it top to bottom - it's like a new car - new interior, fresh paint, etc. Lotta work, but all worth it now.

Im sure it is a blast to drive. Also to be clear the way I like driving isnt better, or worse, than the way you like. It is just different styles. 200mph is fast. How long does it take to go from 0-60 and what is the HP?

Old 09-07-2013, 09:34 PM

I never checked the 0-60...I would guess 3-4 seconds...and haven't had it on a dyno, but sure it's over 500 hp.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Lewisburg, harpers ferry, Davis, etc.
Thanks! Davis was the only one on my route, but now I have it to look forward to!

~Doc

Old 09-12-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Thanks! Davis was the only one on my route, but now I have it to look forward to!

~Doc
Try the purple fiddle or that Italian place there. Maybe make a quick stop in Canaan.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:02 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,510 times
The assessment on cars is made from a book and classic cars are not assessed on their current market value. For example, the net value of a 1966 Mustang with a V6 automatic was only $120 and a 2012 Mustang convertible was net valued at $12,150 for tax purposes.

Don't fret the taxes.

Insurance will be another story that I cannot predict for you but you want to insure it for the "proper value".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia