Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 09:10 AM

12 posts, read 21,782 times

Advertisements

Hi! My wife and I have been talking about moving to West Virginia for about a year now from central NY. We've looked at the Clarksburg area (been there), and Bluefield as well. We like Beckley for it's small town look - not too big or small. We're in our 50's and looking to finish out our working careers somewhere warmer and retire there. We like WV because it's still not too far to drive back to NY to visit relatives, and not blazing hot. We are looking at a house in the Harper Heights area - it looks to be a country type area but still close to town for shopping and such - like where we are now. Would that be a close assumption, from anyone from around there? We've lived in NY almost all our lives, but the high taxes are just driving us away! We've gotten to hate the cold and snow, but can deal with it in a not-so extreme situation, as we get here from time to time. How much snow on average do you get - and how cold? We have lived in Marquette, Michigan, so we are no stranger to snow and cold....
I also have concerns about some yearly taxes I have heard about on cars - I have a classic car, and a drag car besides our 2 family vehicles. I plan on selling the drag car as I don't see any places near there to race it. But would like to keep the classic car for cruising, unless I'm going to be taxed badly for it.
How about getting mortgages - is it difficult for someone moving from another state - our credit is in good shape. We have a bunch of questions, and are going to consult with the real estate company that is listing the house we like - but sometimes they sugar coat everything just to sell you a house, so I thought I might try here for some more honest answers. We're easy going folks, ex-military (4 Years) - wife is in healthcare, I do construction and mechanical type work. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 09:23 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
I don't know anything about the area you are looking at so I can't help there.

Taxes on old cars aren't very much. As an example.......We just paid our property taxes.......

3 daily drivers, one vintage car and 2 vintage motorcyles. It was around $700 for the year. I didn't see what the break down was as the wife paid it but you are looking at less than $200 a year.

There was not long ago an 1/8th mile track down that way somewhere. I'd have to see if I could find the info on it. If you have good credit you'll have no problem getting a loan.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:34 AM

18 posts, read 23,090 times
I grew up in Beckley, but have never lived there as an adult. My parents and some of my siblings still live there.

Cost of living is low in Beckley, and housing is cheaper than most of the US. Definitely do make sure you have a job before you plan to move, because, like any smaller city, opportunities are less than in a larger city. I hate the city, but my parents love it and plan to spend the rest of their lives there. It has some cultural opportunities, and shopping. People from all the surrounding areas consider Beckley to be a Friday/Saturday night destination. I don't know what the taxes are like. The weather is much colder and snowier than VA or NC, but I'd still consider it moderate. Summer weather in WV is lovely, and the mountains are beautiful. If you like hiking, biking, camping, or rafting, you will never run out of things to do or places to go.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the info! Can't wait to go there. Unfortunately, I've found out there are no dragstrips in the area anymore...but I planned on selling the car anyway - we like the idea of the ATV trails so we will probably just keep the trailer and get a few ATV's to put on it! The snowfall is much less than what we deal with here, doesn't sound like I'll need my plow truck anymore either (I hope!) Our 2 german shepherds will love the outdoors there as much as they do up here.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:13 AM

708 posts, read 1,157,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso451 View Post
Thanks for the info! Can't wait to go there. Unfortunately, I've found out there are no dragstrips in the area anymore...but I planned on selling the car anyway - we like the idea of the ATV trails so we will probably just keep the trailer and get a few ATV's to put on it! The snowfall is much less than what we deal with here, doesn't sound like I'll need my plow truck anymore either (I hope!) Our 2 german shepherds will love the outdoors there as much as they do up here.
Don't sell it quite yet, go down past Sophia on the Coalfields Expressway where it ends at Slab Fork and burn your tires til they pop!

Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 AM

hehehe oh, it will - let's see if i can post a pic of it. this is a pic of it from a video ....

Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,137 times
Is that a 70's Pinto Wagon? That thing is mean!

Old 08-26-2013, 02:21 PM

1974 Chevy Vega, w/402 big block. 11.62@ 117mph in 1/4 mile on pump gas.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:36 PM

18 posts, read 23,090 times
I hope Beckley works out for you. The reason I don't like it is because I spent 10 years in a university town. To me, Beckley feels like a small town with a big city attitude. But, like I said, my folks love it there. So do several friends and other family members of mine. I hope you do too.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:58 PM

Thanks! We're in our 50's, so a slow paced kind of lifestyle fits us fine...now about 20+ years ago, it may not have been to our liking... ;-) We're from a small town - about 6,000, so Beckley is actually kinda big to us! hehehe Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia