Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:07 PM

4 posts, read 15,595 times

Advertisements

[quote=Nick538;180090]Weirton/Steubenville is an economically depressed area, with a lot of crime and drug problems. Weirton cannot provide the same level of municipal services as you would get in any decent town in Allegheny County (PA). Also, WV schools are not that great. The students all seem to have 4.0 GPAs but then they cannot pass a standardized test to save their lives. Sorry but true.
QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but this is slightly inaccurate information. I am from Weirton and although I do not ever plan on moving back because it is economically depressed and does not have the lifestyle that I have become accustomed to living in, the crime there is not as bad as stated above. In fact, according to Sperling's Best Places, the Weirton-Steubenville area is rated #2 in the nation for the Best Small Cities for Crime (<200,000 pop.). What crime is there is generally out of Steubenville. Also, the city school there is a Blue Ribbon school and there is private available to you as well
As for comparing a town of about 21,000 people to Allegheny county which encompasses the metropolitan area of Pittsburgh and has a population of 1.2 million, of course the municipal services wouldn't compare. . .it's apples and oranges!
Anyway, just wanted to clear that up!

Also, my family owns a service/gas station that has been in the family in Weirton for over 50 years. My dad is an honest hard working man just trying to make it by in a world of Sheetz's and BP's. If you want good customer service from a small town mom and pops business, call the Marathon Old Oak Station (304) 723-0660 and tell Tom his daughter sent you!

Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 09:11 PM

148 posts, read 520,813 times
I love Weirton and I do not plan on moving back to pa at anytime soon.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:24 AM

4 posts, read 11,076 times
Finally, cars............If you are moving to WV from out of state, you have to change your license over and that is a fun process...ha ha...then you have 3 days to get your car inspected. THEN you have to pay a transfer fee of 5% of the book value of your car IMMEDIATELY...real friendly, I know....then you have to pay for your registration/plates and once per year you have the inspection and the plate renewals and the personal property tax (on dogs, cars, trucks, boats, etc. ie anything that can be taxed).

I've been reading a bunch of the forum posts on WV since I might be moving to WV in the fall (or maybe not...)

this deal on taxation - ouch - and on cars - you have inspections and you have to pay a transfer fee??? sheesh, plus property tax and income tax and sales tax. Yikes! I live in Alaska right now and we don't have inspections where I live, nor do we have income tax, sales tax - yes at 5%, no transfer fee, property tax on my home and I think a bit on my car but I don't remember since we pay it once every 2 years. It sounds as if they get you coming and going - hmmmm, may have to reconsider this move - or not.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:27 AM

They actually changed the transfer and all. We have until 2008 to get the plate switched over, pay the tax on our cars. So we can take our time and get the money to pay for the tax.

Believe it or not WV is a wonderful place to be. Yes they do tax alot. In Pa we pay tax on our dog which is dog licence, WV has that. It is only 3 bucks. Wow, our thing is the tax on our truck.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:46 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT60 View Post
Finally, cars............If you are moving to WV from out of state, you have to change your license over and that is a fun process...ha ha...then you have 3 days to get your car inspected. THEN you have to pay a transfer fee of 5% of the book value of your car IMMEDIATELY...real friendly, I know....then you have to pay for your registration/plates and once per year you have the inspection and the plate renewals and the personal property tax (on dogs, cars, trucks, boats, etc. ie anything that can be taxed).

I've been reading a bunch of the forum posts on WV since I might be moving to WV in the fall (or maybe not...)

this deal on taxation - ouch - and on cars - you have inspections and you have to pay a transfer fee??? sheesh, plus property tax and income tax and sales tax. Yikes! I live in Alaska right now and we don't have inspections where I live, nor do we have income tax, sales tax - yes at 5%, no transfer fee, property tax on my home and I think a bit on my car but I don't remember since we pay it once every 2 years. It sounds as if they get you coming and going - hmmmm, may have to reconsider this move - or not.

Hi, BLT. Where in Alaska are you? I lived in Fairbanks during a my stint in the Army back in 82 and early 83. Gosh I loved Alaska. Truly the Last Frontier.

I am a WV native, moved in 92 due to one of my numerous job transfers.
Keep in mind, WV has Bush country too! Of course we consider it a little Banjo Bush compared to Alaska's plan Bush

I like WV, it's still home, even though my hometown of Martinsburg has taken a slide in a downward direction over the years.
The big thorn in WV is the taxation without seeing the benefits of such.
The state currently ranks #13 in the nation on overall taxation.
There is property tax on the home, tax on your cars, tax on your large personal property, tax on your food, tax on your clothes, etc.
I always refered it to the Nickle and Dime state since the rates (except for income) are either average or low, however, there are so many it catches up to the other states real quick.

The kicker is income tax at 6.5% with little to no allowed write offs. I live in GA now and I can deduct my spouse, my property tax, mortgage interest, etc., where in WV you cannot outside of your standard deduction.

The other issue is WV is a central government state, meaning Charleston controls the cash flow. Everything goes to Charleston to be divided up to the 55 counties, but only by the opinion of the central government. Kind of like the Peoples Republic of China without the secret police

Then again, the Mountain State has been ran by the Dem's since 1863.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:52 PM

69 posts, read 394,121 times
I'm glad you are liking it in Weirton. I lived in Wheeling several years ago and enjoyed my time there. The Ohio Valley has seen better days, but it's a safe area to live in. In fact, both Wheeling and Weirton's metro areas are among the safest in the nation, along with Altoona and Johnstown, PA...areas that suffered the same fate. It's interesting that the nation's safest cities are in that Rust Belt cluster from WV to PA.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 17,750 times
Default Taxes

Hi! I'm another one who is considering WV as a place to live. Economics is a big factor. If I understand correctly, I'd have to pay 5% of my truck value as tax for registration. Then keep paying that 5% each year when I renew?

Old 04-02-2007, 06:21 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times
Hey, you have P'burgh and the Land of Dean Martin, what else can ya say.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:10 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
Hey, you have P'burgh and the Land of Dean Martin, what else can ya say.
dean martin is from mingo jct ohio.......a buckeye!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname View Post
Hi! I'm another one who is considering WV as a place to live. Economics is a big factor. If I understand correctly, I'd have to pay 5% of my truck value as tax for registration. Then keep paying that 5% each year when I renew?
They are dropping the luxury tax on June 1st I think. I am mad cause I jsut got done paying 225 dollars to get the truck switched over.

It cost us 225, that includes state tax, plate, and the luxury tax. When are you planing on moving to Wva. IF you are moving end of may after June wait until June 1st to switch it over. WE heard that from our pastor. Where in Wva are you moving too. I love it here, people are so nice and wonderful, I call this town a peaceful home.

Dean martin is from Steubenville Ohio. My husband's grandmother dated him and graduated with him too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia