Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 01:14 AM

10,116 posts, read 15,787,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
For me, it will always be the people. You can connect with just about anyone in the state (thought that's also due to the homogeneity of the culture). People are loving, but blunt and not afraid to tell the truth. We aren't brash like the Northeast, we aren't gentile like the Southeast, we aren't plain nice like the Midwest, etc. We are a little uncouth and hard-headed, but we are generous, loyal, and family. It kind of reminds me of the stereotypical Texan, which is why I feel right at home with the other Big 12 fanbases.

While I love all that, I will say that a lack of diversity and fatalistic mentality of the general population has led to a status quo that is hardly ever changed. People are happy with what they have, which is great, but a lot of times it's because they've resigned themselves to the thought that they don't have any opportunities to do something different. In severe cases, this leads to rampant poverty exhibited across the state.

Another way this is all manifested is the lack of not only a respectably-sized city, but a lack of an urban culture in general. I don't know if it's our rural roots or resistance to change, but there seems to be a mental/cultural opposition to urbanism. It's almost like people have the weird perception of "Why would you want to live in the city when the suburbs are right there?" That's why a lot of people want 1000 new parking spaces for every new development, and, if they have to walk even a block from a parking garage to a store, they won't even go. It's a convenience culture that unfortunately is a contributing factor in the obesity epidemic and the overall health and well-being of our people.

But all that aside, I wouldn't want to have been born or live in any other place.
LOL interesting perspective.....I really was just about to say I consider Charleston and Huntington to have urban cultures, and I consider Corridor G to be "urban" all the way down to Southridge. I personally avoid the Charleston Town Center because of the parking situation and would rather go to Corridor G or Southridge, or go to my local Dollar General, Foodland and Save a Lot. In fact I think for a small city like Charleston, I shouldn't have to pay for parking anywhere. In fact I consider the lack of parking to be a negative. And I guess the lack of too much urbanism, and the low density development to me is a positive thing that makes life more pleasant. I moved from a relatively dense suburb of Baltimore, MD and I like the lower density here. In fact Charleston would be even less dense if it wasn't wedged into the valley. Kanawha City is actually very dense, and many of the businesss there have very small parking lots and the streets except for MacCorkle are quite narrow.

I do think the highway design DEFINITELY can use some improvement, this area has some of the weirdest road designs I've seen anywhere, and nearby parts of Ohio and Kentucky aren't any better. When you drive north on Corridor G toward the downtown from Southridge whats with two on ramps for I-64 on the right, then another on-camp for 64 a quarter mile further up on the left????? Both on-ramps then split into east and westbound 64 so you have a double interchange for no reasons.

And if y'all ever driven that ramp that takes you onto the Yeager Bridge from where the Lonestar Steakhouse and Motel 6 is.....that ramp twists like a snake back and forth....I've never seen that before anywhere else. Oh yes and then there are those intersection where one lane has a green light and the other is red!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:05 AM

747 posts, read 1,675,244 times
Well I can't say anything for likes because when I lived there there was NOTHING to like about it.

Dislikes....EVERYTHING

If I could change things:
1. weather
2. bring in good shopping such as a good outlet mall or designer shopping stores
3. kick out all the hick people and bring in a good mix of different types of people from all over the USA and the world.
4. Ban all hick activities such as camping and four wheeling and bring in some decent things to do like more mini golf, decent theaters, activities like a decent amusement park, a huge decent waterpark, large community pools that are upgraded and actually fun...things to actually bring people to the state. Shoot do more cultural activities. They need more festival, more activities, more things to do.
5. MORE jobs, high paying jobs.
6. Better apartments....brand new luxury communities and brand new apartments period. Shoot some of the apartments i saw was nothing but slums, there was only 3 within driving distance of us that was even worth anything in a 50 mile radius or better. Wexford Village, Waterford Village (where I lived) and Royal Oaks.
7. Knock down about 90% of the housing in WV and start building brand new upgraded housing.
8. GROWTH....WV needs it badly, they need to upgrade and catch up with the rest of the USA in terms of everything, WV is seriously lacking in pretty much everything.
5. There needs to be organic lifestyle options as well, organic stores...healthier options for those who want it.
6. They need to learn to get out of the houses and move! It's sad, they need to encourage people to get out and move! Build bike paths and lanes, build good public parks, build reasons to leave the house!
7. The roads are horrible, in horrible condition they need to fix them and expand. I-64 is a MESS!
8. It's seriously no wonder people do drugs, drink, and have kids in that state....it's ALL they have to do.
9. Education needs to change and mindsets need to change. As a WV mindset here is an example. My husbands former coworker was bragging about buying a trailer for $3,200 and that his goal was to combine another $2,000 mobile home and that he would then have a big house. Furthermore he was excited over having a baby because he got more tax money form it. He often made the statement that he needed to have another baby so he could get more tax money. Then he'd say Cha Ching! Keep in mind these people lived on walfare!

All of these reasons was why we moved. Shoot I could go on and on about what I disliked and what i'd love to change but sadly WV is so far behind and it will NEVER change....it will always be behind and it seems a pretty hopeless state for growth and happiness.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:35 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,043,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post

All of these reasons was why we moved. Shoot I could go on and on about what I disliked and what i'd love to change but sadly WV is so far behind and it will NEVER change....it will always be behind and it seems a pretty hopeless state for growth and happiness.
Considering the current direction of the rest of the country, that makes it seem like a good place to retire to!

Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Considering the current direction of the rest of the country, that makes it seem like a good place to retire to!
Well it seems like you're like everyone else in WV...you've given up on life. WV is good for people who live on SSI and want to live in a manor...not someone with money who wants to live well and have things to do in your older age. Most people move to FL or down here where I live to retire, they are not exactly running to WV for retirement living. If you've got nothing to look forward to or want nothing to look forward to...then WV is the perfect state for you. Say what you want to about the south or the rest of the country, but no one retires and moves up north to WV. lol Almost Heaven...WTF???

Old 11-06-2013, 04:56 PM

2,866 posts, read 3,613,332 times
Gee Carolina Dreams. Why don't you just nuke the whole state and start over the way you complain? Sounds like you want to turn it into a suburb of some big city. Is there anything you DO like about West Virginia? Does Carolina in your name suggest where you are from?. Because if it does then that explains it. Lived in North Carolina for 7 years and found a lot of the people down there HATED West Virginia and why, I do not know. Maybe it was because it was NOT North Carolina. They used to tell stories of people living in caves up here. never ran into anyone like that yet. But I have found West Virginians much more friendly than Carolinians who greeted me with a "Where you from? You ain't from around here. You must be a Yankee". Anyway, to each their own. I like the part of the state where I am and it is, for me, a lot more suitable than a lot of other places that I have lived including/especially North Carolina. By the way, the "hicks" of which you speak ( I am NOT one) are part of being in the country. Get used to them.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:52 AM

10,116 posts, read 15,787,106 times
Carolina is actually from South Carolina, it say Palmetto state on his thing.

The Carolinas ARE nice places. I do wish we can have some of the growth that they are seeing. We're making progress with the new car plants and the possible new natural gas plant. Its critical that we fight the unions, especially the teachers unions and the state workers unions and make our state more efficient and business friendly. it would be beneficial to lower our gas tax too. I like the South, which to me includes WV south of Fairmont, in general though we are different than South Carolina. I'm surprised people from North Carolina look down on WV, maybe those are Yankee transplants originally from up north. People from New York, New Jersey and New England, even people from Philly (a very trashy and impoverished city) look down on both West Virginia AND North Carolina.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:24 AM

941 posts, read 1,347,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Carolina is actually from South Carolina, it say Palmetto state on his thing.

The Carolinas ARE nice places. I do wish we can have some of the growth that they are seeing. We're making progress with the new car plants and the possible new natural gas plant. Its critical that we fight the unions, especially the teachers unions and the state workers unions and make our state more efficient and business friendly. it would be beneficial to lower our gas tax too. I like the South, which to me includes WV south of Fairmont, in general though we are different than South Carolina. I'm surprised people from North Carolina look down on WV, maybe those are Yankee transplants originally from up north. People from New York, New Jersey and New England, even people from Philly (a very trashy and impoverished city) look down on both West Virginia AND North Carolina.
This is funny because NC is kicking butt right now. For any area to look down on them is ridiculous. Most every region in the country should look up to them. With relatively nice warmer weather, some of the fastest growing cities in the country, and a solid tech-based economy NC is arguably one of the top 3 states in the union.

Looks down on NC...what a joke.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:24 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,043,781 times
I used to drive a truck, delivering meats, when I lived in Ohio back in the 70s. Most of the time I would be delivering in the NE Ohio cities and towns. Occasionally I would get a trip to WV to deliver there, and I loved it! In Ohio's cities, there was always people hanging around that, if I didn't lock the back of the truck, would steal whatever they could get their hands on. When I went to WV, the people would be waiting around the back of the truck, before I could get there, to help me unload their stuff. Needless to say, I preferred the trips to WV. Not to mention they were mostly overnite trips, and I could get a respite from my (first) wife.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:50 AM

I lived in wv all of my life until Sept. I wish I could nuke wv and put a decent state in its place. There is NOTHING good about wv. I always tell people in the south how bad wv is. They generally agree with me.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:36 PM

537 posts, read 955,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
I lived in wv all of my life until Sept. I wish I could nuke wv and put a decent state in its place. There is NOTHING good about wv. I always tell people in the south how bad wv is. They generally agree with me.
So, little bundle of cheer, can you tell us how many places in WV you've lived?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia