Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 12:01 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Common Laws Marriges are Not reconized by WV either!
Actually that is not true. Common law marriages can not take place in West Virginia, but if somebody has lived in a state that recognizes common law marriages long enough to be married in that state, it is recognized in West Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 05:49 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Thats what my neighbor thought... together in MD for 5 yrs moved her 2 yrs later they broke up. She didnt have a leg to stand on for suport. Also she Turned him in for claimming her on his taxes.. He got Fined big time!

Old 11-03-2013, 10:48 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
But federally they would right?
nope, its all based on what the state recognizes.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:19 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Thats what my neighbor thought... together in MD for 5 yrs moved her 2 yrs later they broke up. She didnt have a leg to stand on for suport. Also she Turned him in for claimming her on his taxes.. He got Fined big time!
I'll bet she got a lot of money from him after that! Hell hath no fury...

Old 11-07-2013, 04:31 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I'll bet she got a lot of money from him after that! Hell hath no fury...
She doesn't get the money the IRS does...

If anything if she knew about it and allowed it to happen she might be liable for the tax fraud too.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:25 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
Quote:
Also want to have the Marrage Honored in the State you want to live in!

GHO am I invited to the wedding LOL
RSVP is in the mail KATIE!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
RSVP is in the mail KATIE!
What a joyous occasion. So after I informed you that you can get married in other states did you and your partner verify and just decide to make the short drive to Maryland?

Old 11-08-2013, 09:08 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
What a joyous occasion. So after I informed you that you can get married in other states did you and your partner verify and just decide to make the short drive to Maryland?
I have known for a long time what states allow gay marriage and which ones allow civil unions. I follow this topic obsessively and have since Mass. allowed same sex marriage in 2004. I followed the Maryland scenario closely since it was first proposed since Oakland, MD is so close. We had our date already picked out last year.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I have known for a long time what states allow gay marriage and which ones allow civil unions. I follow this topic obsessively and have since Mass. allowed same sex marriage in 2004. I followed the Maryland scenario closely since it was first proposed since Oakland, MD is so close. We had our date already picked out last year.
Wait I thought you were waiting until you could get married in your home state?

Old 11-09-2013, 08:36 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
WHAT REALLY!?! Other states have gay marriage? NO WAY!!!

Well perhaps we WANT to get married in our home state...
This is the same stuff that I had to deal with when living in Maryland. They could have easily gone to Washington DC and married. The radical left has NO room for compromise. They are the ones who will not compromise. Y'all will not even be okay with civil unions, you MUST call it a "marriage" as an affront to all of us who believe in God. The vast majority of Americans and West Virginians are Christian. That is just a fact. Y'all should be glad that at least some states recognize out of state gay marriages cause not all states do even that.

I really don't get the liberal hypocrisy. You people will punish those who do not comply with Obamacare, yet you want to reward illegal aliens who break the law by coming here, and you want to disregard DOMA which is still on the books whether you like it or not. The more people in West Virginia pull these stunts with these lawsuits, the more it will provoke a move to have a constitutional ban on gay marriage. And remember that because of the war on coal that started with Gore, and because of Obamacare, taxes, and illegal immigration the Democrats might lose their control of the state legislature, and on social issues like gay marriage, the "conservative Democrats" who cowardly sided with Obama might still have enough backbone to go against gay marriage. And there will be increased pressure on the Democrats to go against gay marriage given that they have already alienated the electorate on most other issues like Obamacare.

We need to join our neighbors in Virginia and have a constitutional ban on gay marriage and an abortion ultrasound law as well.

And by the way Governor Tomblin will hopefully pay in the next election for his support for Obama and his decision to expand Medicaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia