Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 08:39 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I have known for a long time what states allow gay marriage and which ones allow civil unions. I follow this topic obsessively and have since Mass. allowed same sex marriage in 2004. I followed the Maryland scenario closely since it was first proposed since Oakland, MD is so close. We had our date already picked out last year.
You should just get married in Maryland then. I am already very moderate on the gay issue. I am okay with anti-discrimination laws and hate crimes legislation against gay individuals. I would not be opposed to civil unions, but I will never support full gay marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 09:37 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
I would not be opposed to civil unions, but I will never support full gay marriage.
That makes absolutely no sense. At. All.

Quote:
They could have easily gone to Washington DC and married. The radical left has NO room for compromise
Yeah that "radical" left who believes that ALL Americans should have the same rights. That "radical" left who thinks that ALL rights should apply in ALL states. What radicals they are...

Why the hell should be up to any one of us here that someone else can get married in the state they live in.

How the hell does that impact YOU. What business is to YOU. Grow up people.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:00 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
There goes this thread.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:18 AM

537 posts, read 958,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
That makes absolutely no sense. At. All.

Yeah that "radical" left who believes that ALL Americans should have the same rights. That "radical" left who thinks that ALL rights should apply in ALL states. What radicals they are...

Why the hell should be up to any one of us here that someone else can get married in the state they live in.

How the hell does that impact YOU. What business is to YOU. Grow up people.
I tried debating with that guy for a while, but there's no point. Luckily his kind is dwindling every day, they've marginalized themselves right into an angry little corner.

And now he's on my Ignore list, so I don't even have to waste time reading his swill. Except when it gets quoted in other folks' comments, of course.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:13 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,187 times
And he always likes to stir the pot. He supposedly just recently moved to WV, but he can tell you all about it, what we think, what we feel, how religious we are.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:32 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
And he always likes to stir the pot. He supposedly just recently moved to WV, but he can tell you all about it, what we think, what we feel, how religious we are.
I dont think Tom is trying to stir the pot. I am somewhat familiar with him from the Maryland forum which I post to sometime. He is very conservative and outspoken, but I dont think he is trying to troll or start fights. He just has strong opinions on issues that people dont like, and often I disagree with his views. However, it seems like he is civil and polite and tries to get along and encourage discussion about WV related topics so I dont feel there is a need to call him out or attack him personally.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:28 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
..... Y'all will not even be okay with civil unions, you MUST call it a "marriage" as an affront to all of us who believe in God. The vast majority of Americans and West Virginians are Christian. That is just a fact. Y'all should be glad that at least some states recognize out of state gay marriages cause not all states do even that.

..... cut because the topic is gay marriage making the parts removed off topic ..... and on social issues like gay marriage, the "conservative Democrats" who ..... go against gay marriage. And there will be increased pressure on the Democrats to go against gay marriage .....

We need to join our neighbors in Virginia and have a constitutional ban on gay marriage .....
Since the passage of the Bill of Rights, the separation of church and state is the supreme law of the land. Therefore (by definition) any belief in God or membership in any church is entirely irrelevant to discussions about any law, either state or federal. It follows logically that DOMA is unconstitutional and will eventually be struck down. Your recommendation that someone go to another state to be married does not meet their needs since they would still be unable to file a joint tax return in their home state. I've never heard anybody make a sound argument against gay marriage that did not include reference to religion.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:02 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This is the same stuff that I had to deal with when living in Maryland. They could have easily gone to Washington DC and married. The radical left has NO room for compromise. They are the ones who will not compromise. Y'all will not even be okay with civil unions, you MUST call it a "marriage" as an affront to all of us who believe in God. The vast majority of Americans and West Virginians are Christian. That is just a fact. Y'all should be glad that at least some states recognize out of state gay marriages cause not all states do even that.

I really don't get the liberal hypocrisy. You people will punish those who do not comply with Obamacare, yet you want to reward illegal aliens who break the law by coming here, and you want to disregard DOMA which is still on the books whether you like it or not. The more people in West Virginia pull these stunts with these lawsuits, the more it will provoke a move to have a constitutional ban on gay marriage. And remember that because of the war on coal that started with Gore, and because of Obamacare, taxes, and illegal immigration the Democrats might lose their control of the state legislature, and on social issues like gay marriage, the "conservative Democrats" who cowardly sided with Obama might still have enough backbone to go against gay marriage. And there will be increased pressure on the Democrats to go against gay marriage given that they have already alienated the electorate on most other issues like Obamacare.

We need to join our neighbors in Virginia and have a constitutional ban on gay marriage and an abortion ultrasound law as well.

And by the way Governor Tomblin will hopefully pay in the next election for his support for Obama and his decision to expand Medicaid.
DOMA may be on the books, but it was ruled unconstitutional so 90% of it is no longer law. The fanatical Republicans in the WV have tried for the past few years to pass a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage and its gone no where. Guess there are some sensible people heading to Charleston.

Parts of my family came here illegally as recently as the early 1900s. I don't have a problem with someone wanting to come here and start new and attempt a piece of the American dream. Guess all these anti-immigrants people forgot their families came here as immigrants too. Same old attitude of "Boy it sucked when I didn't have my cake but now that I have my cake I'm the only one that deserves it"

The war on coal banter is hilarious. Obama does prefer cleaner sources of energy. However the reason for coals demise is because its dirty, and because there has been an explosion in growth in the natural gas industry. Making natural gas cheaper than coal... Naturally, why use a product that is more expensive and creates more pollution to create energy when there is a better resource available. However, the coal execs want to pay even less in taxes and believe they should just have free reign over our state and mine wherever and destroy whatever they want. Then cry like a little baby anytime someone holds them accountable for their deeds or tells them they cannot mine wherever they want.

Do you realize many of the people who are dissatisfied with Obamacare are dissatisfied because they believe it doesn't go FAR ENOUGH? I can't really argue with anyone who thinks its a bad idea to give someone healthcare coverage. I just think people should have the right to live a healthy life without the fear of going into bankruptcy over medical issues.

Tomblin will definitely pay in the next election. I do agree with that. However, I think it will be because he has really screwed over teachers in this state. The teachers unions will be campaigning hard against him.

You say we should join Virginia and sign hate into our state constitution and require an ultrasound for abortions? My arguments are... Are you going to get gay married? Are you going to be affected by anyone else getting gay married? No and no. You will have no idea when I get married and you will not be affected in any way. Gay marriage will be in WV sooner than later and it will be nationwide as well so you better start preparing yourself for that. As for an ultrasound? Do you have a uterus? Probably not... but just in case you do. Don't get pregnant, but if you do. Don't have an abortion. A woman's right to choice is also something you, myself or anyone else has any business in. Also, I love how conservatives are always pushing to take money from the poor, elderly, schools, etc but who would pay for these forced ultrasounds? Taxpayers?

Old 11-11-2013, 05:09 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,353 times
Im pro-uterus, pro-anal, and all West Virginian.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:30 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
The teachers union might finally be seeing their power decrease. Political activism was one of my hobbies and passions in Maryland and I've started doing that too. My new friends in this area have given me a crash course on the unions here and their corrupt and vile conduct especially in Kanawha County. They purposely linked the school and library levies together cause they know people want to keep the libraries open, but don't want all the extra $$ going to the school system which will not really benefit students, but which will support the bloated administrative bureaucracy and the overpaid government workers in the school system. The teachers union got their members to go out in force to vote for the tax increase but they were "soundly defeated" as the Daily Mail put it. 75% of county residents opposed the tax increase. The unions basically held the library system hostage in order to get more funding, when they should be cutting the bureaucracy and the administrative staff.

I understand that in the past, the county also linked ambulance services and bus line funding together, kwnoing people will not want to pay taxes for mass transit, but think ambulance service is important, so they basically held EMS services hostage in order to get their liberal public transportation pet projects. Looks like here, as in most places, public transit is one of the liberal passions. I wonder what the defeat of the levy means for the teachers unions and the other unions here. The DMV is also another state agency that is very corrupt and needs to be reigned in. I think WV has turned the corner. With Republicans taking control soon, there might be a gay marriage ban. I think the Democrats didn't pass it out of fear of Obama and the national Democrat leader which is dominated by the Northeast and California urban liberal elite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia