Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:28 PM

467 posts, read 540,627 times

Advertisements

Oregon and Washington state have tons more people than West Virginia.

Yes, the eastern parts of those states are isolated but that doesn't prove me wrong on WV. The eastern parts of those states are more like WV,. WV been around for a long time and there is poulation loss there so you can't be right about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 01:50 AM

1,229 posts, read 857,351 times
..ation[quote=Francis.;32892134]Oregon and Washington state have tons more people than West Virginia.

Francis ---- Oregon has nearly 5 times the land mass of West Virginia yet barely doubles its population. Approx 72 percent of Oregon's population is centered in four counties that border the state of Washington. West Virginia is far more densely populated. Sure....compared to Maryland / PA / VA and the rest of the eastern seaboard WV may seem rural and remote - but its really not what you think it is.

Silk --- Some of these people in WV just don't know how good they have it. WV is a great state....and only going to get better from my standpoint. It may have an inordinate share of corrupt, small-town politicians....but I'd rather have ten okey-doke sheriffs and crooked, bribe-taking mayors than one California Governor like Gray Davis or the terminator.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:52 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,138,843 times
Most major and significant infrastructure funding comes from the Feds. Take your complaints to them.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:16 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,138,843 times
These numbers are also based on the data from one moving/relocation company. That doesn't tell the entire picture because if you look at the Census numbers, the population in WV has increased.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:37 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,009,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Great post At-Chilles, very informative, and i agree with your perspective. Heck, i will even go as far to add that even parts of the southwest and the heartland feel more isolated than parts of WV. Now maybe those states population centers are more transient, but there are vast areas of nothing but mother nature for miles.

The remoteness of WV pales in comparison to some of these area's of frontier. And Alaska, that state is in a league of it's own.
That is true, but Alaska does have a couple of cities that are very large by West Virginia standards. All of those large but sparcely populated states have that as their populations tend to be concentrated in one or two places. That is not the case with West Virginia... a state with all small towns spread out all over the place.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:02 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,787,137 times
I just saw the census chart the other day in an article that was linked in another thread I was reading. WV population is only down about .13 percent that equates to about 2400 people and out of that number you have to factor in the number of people that died. Also I believe those numbers were the 2012 numbers pop might be back up a little depending on what happened in 2013. A certain percentage of WV is also protected land of course such as the Monongahela Forest and so on. That makes the state even smaller for development and population.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 01-07-2014 at 07:39 AM..

Old 01-10-2014, 10:37 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,064,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis. View Post
look at every mountain state in this country, not much growth in population and probaby most are losing ppoulation.

i woudln't be srurpsied if Pittsburgh was losing poopulation.
That's more because Pittsburgh doesn't have an NBA team. Ta-Dum!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:09 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,383,821 times
Default Respectfully disagree

I think that my perspective differs from many of you....while there may be some isolated and relatively small pockets of growth in WV's future, on the whole I think the state is basically dying. In general, the state does not have the kind of highly educated work force that is going to be required to take on the jobs of the 21st century...software development, financial services, etc. The days where high paying manufacturing type jobs were abundantly available in the dozens of chemical plants are no longer with us. Many of those jobs have been moved down south where the economic environment is more favorable to business (if I am not mistaken, the US Chamber of Commerce has WV on its list of the most business unfriendly states in the US---I admit I may be mistaken on that point.). I also think WV has a real perception problem...this is not a place that corporate execs have on their short list of wanting to move. Last I heard, Walmart was the state's largest employer....these are not high paying jobs that will generate increases in consumption and additional growth in the state. Again, if I am not mistaken, WV's has one of the oldest populations (as measured by average age) in the US.....it is not because old people are retiring there in droves. It is because all the young people are leaving, looking for better opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia