Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 02:02 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,336 times

Advertisements

State ranks high for outbound moves in 2013* - Business - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

Quote:
Sixty percent of the company's interstate moves involving West Virginians were outbound last year, ranking the state fourth highest in the "high outbound" category.
It's better than being last I guess. However, if I'm not mistaken, hasn't the states population stabilized? Largely due to growth in the Eastern Panhandle, along with NCWV?

Will we see any other cities in WV see any moderate growth this decade?
The entire Ohio Valley seems primed to make a leap if it can harness the oil and gas development.

IMHO, outside of the EP, and NCWV, I can see Parkersburg experiencing large economic and population increases. This due in part by news of a possible cracker facility.

Huntington and Wheeling follow in no particular order. Wait and see mode for these two former jewels on the mighty Ohio. One would expect the Prichard Intermodal Facility to lead to a promising future and a more diverse economy. As for Wheeling, they are in the heart of the Marecellus Shale and, it does sound like the city has been in the process of reinventing itself. I do not know enough about Wheeling to comment first hand so I'll leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 02:37 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
I think your observation is spot on. In spite of the great growth taking place in NCWV and the EP, even more people have left the state in general. Parts of the southern tier are becoming like ghost towns, but the entire Ohio Valley is poised for a growth spurt in my view, especially the area between Parkersburg and Chester. Wheeling will grow too, but unfortunately the parts that made it a uniquely quaint city in the past have been damaged extensively, so it will appear very different in the future.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:11 PM

467 posts, read 541,939 times
WV is too mountaineous and remote to ever experience much population increase.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:01 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
State ranks high for outbound moves in 2013* - Business - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

It's better than being last I guess. However, if I'm not mistaken, hasn't the states population stabilized? Largely due to growth in the Eastern Panhandle, along with NCWV?

Will we see any other cities in WV see any moderate growth this decade?
The entire Ohio Valley seems primed to make a leap if it can harness the oil and gas development.

IMHO, outside of the EP, and NCWV, I can see Parkersburg experiencing large economic and population increases. This due in part by news of a possible cracker facility.

Huntington and Wheeling follow in no particular order. Wait and see mode for these two former jewels on the mighty Ohio. One would expect the Prichard Intermodal Facility to lead to a promising future and a more diverse economy. As for Wheeling, they are in the heart of the Marecellus Shale and, it does sound like the city has been in the process of reinventing itself. I do not know enough about Wheeling to comment first hand so I'll leave it at that.
The problem is NCWV and EP are not getting enough funding. WV could become a boom state and a leader among states if Charleston would start building infrastructure in these places. Instead it takes all their revenue and uses it for pork projects in other areas of the state that are declining.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis. View Post
Northern West Virginia is far closer to major population centers than Clemson ever dreamed of being, and much less remote too. The Ohio Valley would put any river anywhere close to South Carolina totally to shame, just like the Mountaineers did Clemson. It is primed for industrial growth, and there are more natural resources located in 1/10 of West Virginia than in all of the Palmetto State combined.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:42 PM

467 posts, read 541,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Northern West Virginia is far closer to major population centers than Clemson ever dreamed of being, and much less remote too. The Ohio Valley would put any river anywhere close to South Carolina totally to shame, just like the Mountaineers did Clemson. It is primed for industrial growth, and there are more natural resources located in 1/10 of West Virginia than in all of the Palmetto State combined.
if you say so, the panhandle primiarly gets some growth b/c it is near DC but that area is more like Maryland than WV.

look at every mountain state in this country, not much growth in population and probaby most are losing ppoulation.

i woudln't be srurpsied if Pittsburgh was losing poopulation.

nobody doubts WV has some natural resources

Old 01-05-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
The problem is NCWV and EP are not getting enough funding. WV could become a boom state and a leader among states if Charleston would start building infrastructure in these places. Instead it takes all their revenue and uses it for pork projects in other areas of the state that are declining.
With this. ... I absolutely agree.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post

The two (stable population, 60% outbound moves) aren't necessarily contradictory.

If the outbound moves average 2 persons per move (think retirees moving south) and the inbound moves average 4 persons per move (think young family escaping NoVA), the population will actually grow. 2 out and 3 in would be exactly in balance.

And moving data doesn't account for population changes of those who don't move: births - deaths. I think West Virginians are notably non-transient as a whole, so births-deaths probably out-weighs the population change due to migration.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:34 PM

1,229 posts, read 859,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis. View Post

HAR!! Oregon---where I moved from---both feels and truly is... much more remote/isolated than WV - and the state is still seeing fantastic growth.

Honestly....Many West Virginian's would begin to see new meaning in the words ''isolated'' and ''remote'' and ''mountainous'' if they were to ever experience parts of the PNW and inter-mountain west. There's absolutely no comparison. I know WV is often described as this remote, isolated place -- but this just couldn't be further from the truth. The culture is also often misrepresented.

Albeit WV is a state made up of mostly mini/micro towns - most of them represent a vast network interspersed only a hop,skip, and jump away from each other.

West Virginia has great potential as both the real-estate and property taxes represent great value. West Virginia is a great state for a semi-retired day trader, niche consultant... or someone who has almost any type of home or web-based business.

Last edited by At-Chilles; 01-05-2014 at 08:48 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 11:06 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
HAR!! Oregon---where I moved from---both feels and truly is... much more remote/isolated than WV - and the state is still seeing fantastic growth.

Honestly....Many West Virginian's would begin to see new meaning in the words ''isolated'' and ''remote'' and ''mountainous'' if they were to ever experience parts of the PNW and inter-mountain west. There's absolutely no comparison. I know WV is often described as this remote, isolated place -- but this just couldn't be further from the truth. The culture is also often misrepresented.

Albeit WV is a state made up of mostly mini/micro towns - most of them represent a vast network interspersed only a hop,skip, and jump away from each other.

West Virginia has great potential as both the real-estate and property taxes represent great value. West Virginia is a great state for a semi-retired day trader, niche consultant... or someone who has almost any type of home or web-based business.
Great post At-Chilles, very informative, and i agree with your perspective. Heck, i will even go as far to add that even parts of the southwest and the heartland feel more isolated than parts of WV. Now maybe those states population centers are more transient, but there are vast areas of nothing but mother nature for miles.

The remoteness of WV pales in comparison to some of these area's of frontier. And Alaska, that state is in a league of it's own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia