Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:14 PM

4,939 posts, read 8,900,637 times

Advertisements

Here is a good reference as well:

Retire Here, Not There: West Virginia - MarketWatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 09:25 PM

1,229 posts, read 855,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
I didn't know the PNW only encompassed large cities and 600k houses. Comparing the economy of WV against Seattle which is one of the top tech cities in the world is apples and oranges.

Anyway, I've stayed away from the "all WVians are friendly" or "all Seattlelites are rude" generalizations because it's idealistic and never true. In my field I've had the opportunity to talk to plenty of people moving to NCWV full or part time. Mostly they can't wait to get back, especially coming from bigger areas. I've talked to 2 females who bought a house together in a family neighborhood to save money. Normal most places, weird looks from the neighbors here.

Even NCWV which is arguably the most diverse part of state with most amenities is still just family neighborhoods and college students. I guess a retiree looking for affordable housing, to eat out, and see a show once in a while it would be a good fit.
I'm curious - why the condescending tone regards ''family neighborhoods''? With the exception of maybe a neighborhood full of frat houses in a college town - are not most neighborhoods in the US filled with families?

I've never heard of and /or experienced singles neighborhoods, divorced neighborhoods, hipster/geek/goober neighborhoods, hippy neighborhoods, etc?

Maybe you are referring to neighborhoods that are filled entirely with multi-unit homes and apartment buildings?

Please explain....

Old 03-06-2014, 03:06 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,989,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Here is a good reference as well:

Retire Here, Not There: West Virginia - MarketWatch
Good article!

Old 03-08-2014, 10:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,169,783 times
dang shame Morgantown home prices been climbing so much

Old 03-09-2014, 01:58 AM

20 posts, read 24,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
200k for a double wide is a bit expensive...

Old 03-09-2014, 08:51 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,989,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
There are logical reasons for high real estate prices here. First of all, a lot of folks want to live here for various reasons. Secondly, the Marcellus Shale developments in the environs. Higher demand = higher prices. A positive of this though is that an investment in real estate here is virtually guaranteed to hold its value. Continued growth is projected for the next decade and beyond.

If you find a place with low prices it is generally because more people want to leave there than want to move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia