Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:30 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times

Advertisements

Tampa is a great town...but St. Pete beach is the best...had an uncle in Pinellas Park...lot of crime now...to hot in the summer...give me the Wv high county anytime...
There's a lot of Urban & Regional Planning work on now...right here in the wild and wonderful...most of it focused on "greening' America...building a much smaller house for 3 times the money..the grants are coming...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 07:54 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,593 times
"A movie a few years ago was made about a group of college kids getting lost in the backwoods of WV. They made a wrong turn.... and canablistic hillbillys pretty much chopped them up and ate them"

Thanks for the info GHO. Coincidentally, I was looking for houses today and the little street I was on (in town) made a sharp right, and became a gravel road real sudden. Before I could turn around, i came to a pile of rubbish that included several large skeletons, I assume they were deer, but it was still creepy to me, so I did a 180 and got on out of there. So I know the feeling. My wife likes to explore country roads. I need to show her that movie.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,280 times
We are moving to that area end of December. Any leads on where to look for homes to rent until we get ourselves settled. We're coming from Oregon so we'll be searching for a home first, then work. It's just the two of us, kids are all raised and scattered.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:39 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb612 View Post
We are moving to that area end of December. Any leads on where to look for homes to rent until we get ourselves settled. We're coming from Oregon so we'll be searching for a home first, then work. It's just the two of us, kids are all raised and scattered.
I don't know very much about Weston but is Buckhannon an option for you? It's about 15 miles from Weston. Buckhannon is a nice little town.

Call one of the real estate agents about rental properties - do a web search for a list.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,280 times
I've been scouring the internet and find mostly ads for apartment complexes in Morgantown. We're looking for a smaller, more quiet community where we can travel out if we need anything that can't be found close to home. I've checked out the ads in the 'Democrat' and it looks like small affordable homes might not be so hard to find.
Rent in Oregon is big city unaffordable and jobs......after losing our timber and fishing industry, Oregon banked on tourism. BIG mistake. It's a very fickle, greed based economy. Out of state money has corrupted the wonderful rural culture we enjoyed. It's a great place to visit, if you can afford it, but living here just isn't the same. Too much crime, too many drugs...
We visited WV last fall, (my first visit) and I've been itching to move there since. All the scenic beauty I'm accustomed to & the people were very friendly. It felt like I could put down roots and stay.
I've been working as a waitress for years upon years. Hopefully there will be a job available in that field. If not, I guess I'll try something new!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:56 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Buckhannon and Weston aren't hot-beds of industry and jobs but there are jobs to be found. A lot of people who live in Buckhannon work at the FBI plant or other places in Clarksburg. One thing that surprised me about WV, people do not hesitate to drive a half hour, hour, or even more to get to work.

Sounds like you would like WV. Hope all works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia