Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,725 times

Advertisements

hello,

I am looking for information about Weston West virginia. I have been told this is a good area to raise a family but my husband and I would probably have to commute.

We are going for a look see in early november and I'd like any info you guys can give me...what areas are most economical? anything at all really would be helpful...i have scoured the internet and cant seem to find much other than weather and recreational information.

many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 04:38 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,922 times
If you're concerned with crime, I found the following on the internet comparing Weston with Summersville of which I'm interested:

(broken link)

I too am looking for a nice place in WV or VA and although Weston is a little too central for me (I think), I was surely impressed with the crime rate. This is the lowest I've seen in all my searching.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited by Yac; 10-24-2006 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: link removed

Old 10-24-2006, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 14,574 times
i first discovered weston doing a real estate search and was surprised to see some really low housing prices. i assumed these houses must have needed alot of work or were fixer uppers but the majority of them are move in ready!
i have read all the easily accessible...searchable sites about weston...even looking for blogs by people who live in the area...to try and get a better idea of how their living...maybe see some pictures of life in weston but i have had no luck so far.

the crime rates really ARE low...sounds like a good place to raise a family...

Old 10-27-2006, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,894 times
My step dad was from weston. It's a quaint town with plenty of charm.
I can't speak about the job situation but I do like the looks of the area.
My next trip south I plan to stop there and see if I can find any family.
Good luck

Old 10-31-2006, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 11,839 times
Weston in nice, however I would recommend Buckhannon, which is about 13 miles from weston, buckhannon has less crime and better housing market as well as job market, I have been born and raised in buckhannon and have lived all over the country as well as mexico and it does not compare to anywhere else i love raising my family here, good luck

Old 11-20-2006, 10:09 PM

16 posts, read 102,574 times
STay away from Weston.........I lived there for 3 LONG years.....awful!! No progression at all. Very redneck town. People have low mentality. It floods like crazy....we bought a house there and sat on it for 18 months after we moved! The people in Weston feel like if you are born in Weston you are an outsider and believe me you are treated as one!! I can say enough......stay away from the town you will hate it! It truly does not represent the great state of WV. You will find mean spirited red neck people in this town. I was never so glad to leave anywhere in my life!

Old 12-24-2006, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,143 times
Weston is very small and has an idiot town government that has pretty much spoiled chances of state funding for projects. If you weren't born there, you will never belong in any sense. On the other hand, people who move there from "outside" generally bring a patronizing attitude that would play poorly anywhere. If your life isn't centered around a mainstream or radical Christian church, your children, television, and fast food, you're going to find it lonely, disappointing, and unsatisfying. But the people who live there are happy with it, so who's to criticize, really?

Old 12-30-2006, 07:58 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,082,740 times
What would happen if I were to move to Weston? Would they just mind their business and ignore me?

Old 01-09-2007, 10:28 PM

7 posts, read 27,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy11208 View Post
hello,

I am looking for information about Weston West virginia. I have been told this is a good area to raise a family but my husband and I would probably have to commute.

We are going for a look see in early november and I'd like any info you guys can give me...what areas are most economical? anything at all really would be helpful...i have scoured the internet and cant seem to find much other than weather and recreational information.

many thanks
DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS TOO LATE BUT THOUGHT IT MIGHT HELP. WESTON IS A SMALL TOWN OF APPROXIMATELY 4,300 CITIZENS. PRETTY EVEN MIX OF AGE DEMOGRAPHICS EXCEPT A LITTLE HEAVIER ON THE ELDERLY. CRIME RATE IS LOWEST IN THE REGION. SCHOOLS, AS COMPARED TO SURROUNDING COUNTIES HAVE LOWEST DRUG ABUSE AND DROPOUT RATES.

LOW UNEMPLOYMENT DUE TO REASONABLE EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES IN NEIGHBORING COUNTIES. NO REAL WHITE COLLAR AND VERY LITTLE BLUE COLLAR WORK TO BE FOUND IN WESTON OR THE COUNTY FOR THAT MATTER. WESTON HAS BECOME IN A SENSE, A BEDROOM COMMUNITY FOR THE SURROUNDING AREA. MOST COMMUTES ARE NO MORE THAN THIRTY MINUTES FROM THE DRIVEWAY TO THE OFFICE. IF YOU'RE FROM A BIG CITY THAT WOULD BE LIKE A COFFEE BREAK.

WHAT ONCE WAS A THRIVING ECONOMY HAS BEEN, IN RECENT YEARS, RELEGATED TO SMALL TOWN WITH A MEDIOCRE FUTURE. WE AREN'T REDNECKS AS SOME WOULD SAY AND WE CERTAINLY AREN'T RUDE TO OUTSIDERS. WESTON FACES MANY OF THE SAME PROBLEMS THAT MOST OTHER COMMUNITIES FACE. WE'VE JUST HAD TO TOLERATE THE GREED OF CAREER POLITICIANS AND CERTAIN OTHER "POLITIFILES" THAT HAVE RAPED OUR ECONOMY AND LEFT US OUT IN THE COLD.

THE HANDFUL OF "ANGRY" CITIZENS THAT HAVE NOT BEEN SO RECEPTIVE DO NOT SPEAK FOR THE REST OF THE COMMUNITY AND I HOPE THAT WOULD NOT SEEM INDICATIVE OF THE NORMALLY GOOD NATURE OF OUR PEOPLE. UNFORTUNATELY WHEN MANUFACTURERS THAT ONCE EMPLOYED NEARLY TWO THOUSAND PEOPLE ARE FORCED TO CLOSE THAT LEAVES MANY WITH A CHIP ON THEIR SHOULDER.

HOPEFULLY THIS COMING JUNE WE WILL SEE A NEW CITY GOVERNMENT THAT INTENDS TO WORK TOWARD IMPROVING THE QUALITY OF LIFE FOR ALL OF OUR CITIZENS BOTH LIFELONG AND THOSE WE WELCOME FROM OTHER AREAS.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,433 times
I moved to Weston 2 years ago. I think it is a nice little town, it may have faults as others have pointed but I manage well, coming from a city of 200,000 and college in a city of 1million+.

I work south of Weston ~30mi. Clarksburg which has "just about everything" is 20 miles north, and Buckhannon which has a few more restaurants and WVWC college is 15 miles away. just over 2hr from PIT airport so its easy to get anywhere.

However I live along the river so I do not have a lot of neighbors. I enjoy working with my coworkers though.

I do consider the cops in Buckhannon to be much more predatory than those in Weston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia