Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 10,315 times

Advertisements

Hello there, my husband and I are planning to move from MI and we are thinking West V, but we need some help in finding a city with a rich cultural environment as he is an sculptor. (Vision portfolio GalleryAdmin flash template ID:300109923) We have two little children (2 & 4) so we also need a good school system and a safe place.
Any suggestion will be really appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 10:01 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,830 times
The bigger towns are your safest bet. Morgantown, Charleston, Huntington, maybe Parkersburg. Morgantown is a huge college town with a larger percentage of educated professionals and professors than anywhere else on the state. You may find your best audience there. Charleston and Huntington are big enough that it would just intrinsically have a market for such a thing...but I'm not sure.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:24 PM

4 posts, read 10,315 times
Thank you soooo much. I'll do a search about those places

Old 12-07-2007, 10:53 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,614,416 times
I definitely agree with WVUPharm about considering Morgantown, Charleston, and Huntington. Out of those three I would probably recommend Morgantown considering it has a young and educated population with the university being in town, plus it's 70 miles from Pittsburgh PA which is a great city for the arts. I grew up in Charleston, it isn't exactly an artists paradise, but im sure there are a around town.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:24 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,949,212 times
Having lived in Morgantown and Huntington, I would say Huntington has a little more of a market/environment for the arts. Huntington also has a large university in Marshall but it has the benefit of having about 20,000 more people than Morgantown. Being under 45 minutes from Charleston also gives you close access to the 2 largest markets in the state with a population of over 600,000 people when you combine the Charleston and Huntington MSAs. Huntington is also home to the largest art Museum in the state and also has the Burke Art Gallery through Marshall. The city is also currently in the planning stages of getting together an arts committee as there are several art projects planned that they are wanting to tie together. Huntington also has a yearly event called Art in the Park where local artisans can display their items for sale and this is usually a big draw. There is also a store in downtown called The Downtown Depot where you could sell some of your art projects and get some visibility. Materials would also be easy to come by as Huntington has a lot of metal companies and Blenko Glass and is just down the road if you ever wanted to add glass to the list of materials used in your sculptures. Below are some links to some of what I was talking about above. Hope this helps and let me know if you need any other info.

Tim

Huntington Museum of Art, Huntington, WV
Blenko Glass Company Web Site Home
Osburn Modern Glass (broken link)
Marshall University College of Fine Arts | Department of Art & Design
Tri State Art Association Art Show in the Park in Huntington 2007 (Pictures of Art in the Park)
Art plans could help improve riverfront - Huntington, WV -- The Herald-Dispatch
City of Huntington, West Virginia

Last edited by tbailey1138; 12-08-2007 at 08:45 AM..

Old 12-08-2007, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 19,960 times
Elkins has a small tight knit group of artists and draws from a wide area. However I really don't know about making a living at it in the Elkins area.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:43 AM

I forgot Shepherdstown WV....it is probably the most artistically cultured of any town I have been to in the state(although I will admit I'm not familiar with Huntingtons art scene). Shepherd University, located right in town is a liberal arts college FILLED with art students, the town's historic main street is also lined with art galleries, shops and AWESOME restaurants. It isn't really a direct city enviornment, but you can drive to either Washington DC or Baltimore, both of which are full of art communities in around an hour. If you don't feel like driving there is a daily commuter train that runs to DC.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:50 AM

i also forgot to mention, the schools in the Shepherdstown area (Jefferson County Schools) are known for being excellent. I have many friends who attended those schools and raved about them. The only problem is they are somewhat overcrowded due to large amounts of suburban development that has made its way outward from DC.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:42 PM

107 posts, read 361,069 times
Some are forgetting lewisburg,wv. It has one of the four carengie halls in the united states. Their are many art shops in downtown with alot of festivities for all culture. You really need to check lewisburg as well. I know many come from california and the northern states just for that and its thriving indeed.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:39 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
I think Elkins would be a safe bet. With Snowshoe, Timberline, and Canaan Ski resorts if you found a way to capitalize off the thousands of tourists in the area it could be very lucrative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia