Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:44 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,228,865 times

Advertisements

I started this thread for anyone who wants to share any of their old-timey gems from the family album. I love old photos, particularly if there is a story to them. If you need a picture hosting service I use tinypic.com, which is free and easy. According to my grandmother this is the "infare" (In´fare` n.1. A house-warming; especially, a reception, party, or entertainment given by a newly married couple, or by the husband upon receiving the wife to his house.) of my great-great-aunt Nevada Muncy and her husband Lawrence Ferguson in Dec. 1910 in Wayne County. They are the young seated couple in the center. My great-grandmother Virgie Muncy Ross is standing behind Lawrence at the left holding my great-aunt Lola Ross. My great-great grandparents Celia Ann (Crabtree) and Thomas Muncy are seated at the far left. The preacher is standing behind the young couple, he's wearing something tied up in his hair. Anyone know what this might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 09:42 AM

306 posts, read 1,240,042 times
thanks for sharing.......i love to look at all these old pictures..........i have seen many of the mine photos........................very proud people and have EVERY right to be..THEY EARNED IT...........god bless

Old 12-10-2007, 01:18 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,627,122 times
that's a great photo (i could look at old photos all day!). have you noticed how there isnt usually much smiling in the old photos are we're expected to do today? anyone know why? (besides the fact that life may have been harder). i love the old names too like celia ann crabtree!

Old 12-15-2007, 10:30 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,136,290 times
Shoot, I wish I had a scanner handy. I have a photo of my mom, 2 years old, standing in front of her father's car, which had a 1920 West Virginia license plate that simply said "127." How's that for light traffic? My mom's older sister told me they had one of the first autos in Wheeling.

nicolepsy: The reason people didn't smile in old photos was that the exposure times were very long compared to nowadays, because of the type of film used, and it was hard to maintain a smiling expression long enough without your mouth moving. So people just let their mouths relax. Or so my photographer dad told me.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:04 AM

426 posts, read 1,278,534 times
Default one room schoolhouse class mid 30s Putnam County

Don't know if this photo came up or not. It is from mid 30s . My mother and aunt are in it. I am not sure what town it was. I think either Winfield, Buffalo, or Fraziers Bottom. The teacher was a relative of my moms also. She has almost all the names on the back. One of them is a Ferguson. Wonder if related to original poster. My moms and aunts names were berniece and Mary Glenn. My mom was bornin 1925 and aunt was in 1927.
Attached Thumbnails
Old-Timey Photos of WV-schoolhouse.jpg  

Old 12-18-2007, 09:36 AM

74 posts, read 368,765 times
Here are some pictures of my family. The first is of my grandfather (Earl Hilderbrand) when he worked in the coal mines in Star City, WV. The picture is from the 1940's; he is in second row, 5th from the left.

The second photo is of my great-grandparents, Warren and Grace Martin. This picture is from about 1915-1920 also taken in Star City, WV. Warren was actually the first Mayor of Star City.
Attached Thumbnails
Old-Timey Photos of WV-earl-hilderbrand-coal-mines-1.jpg   Old-Timey Photos of WV-grace-warren-martin-1.jpg  

Old 12-18-2007, 04:00 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,359,778 times
I hope this works, I had to steal the picture off my sister's site. This is the Run where my parents grew up in Mannington WV. My sister was also born in a house up this holler.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:10 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,228,865 times
Great photos, everyone, thanks. I thought I would put up another, this time it's not my family, but a family from the Davis area, about 1900. I search Ebay often for old West Virginia photos and found this one, but it went for $60 and I didn't have the dough. There was no family name attached to the picture, just the photographer. The guys in the back row have guns pointed at each other. It reminded me of the famous picture of the Hatfields. I think holding your guns was a typical pose in many rural communities. The best West Virginia photo I saw on Ebay was a large tintype of the railroad yards at Grafton, ca. 1860. It went for $2000. Another nice WV photo was a daguerreotype of a group posed at the start of the war (Of Northern Aggression ), with two cannon and a little boy in a gray uniform. I think it went for around $600, which is actually pretty cheap for something like that.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:23 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Default Here's More Oldies

Here are some pix from Ruby Fisher's (my late mother) collection of old family pix. I'll tell you what I know about them. Ruby was born in Weston in early 1917, lived in the area of Burnsville, Glenville and environs until going to Baltimore in 1941 to work in a war plant. The pix are all from that area. Mom's family was split up about 1920 when her father walked away and was never seen again, no one ever knew what happened to him or where he went. Mom and her younger brother Robert John Fisher were raised by the Moore family, and I think her two older brothers, Cecil and Harold were raised by the White family (maternal side). Thus, prominent family members on my Mom's side were the Fisher, Moore, White and Barker families.

1. Ruby Fisher (on right) and Hally Weyant, about 1922 or so, as Ruby looks to be about 5 or 6. She had 2 cents in the hankey. Eighty years after the photo, she still remembered that she had 2 cents in that hankey.
Old-Timey Photos of WV-095-ruby-r-2-cents-hankey

2. Fisher family photo. The lad about 8 or 10 in the back row is George Stuart Fisher, father of Ruby. Pix is probably late 1898 or 1900.
Front row seated, left to right: George Lewis Fisher, Columbia Elizabeth (Stalnaker) Fisher who are the grandparents of Ruby Fisher, and William Fisher (Brother of George Lewis Fisher).
Back row standing, left to right: Unknown woman, George Stuart Fisher (Father of Ruby, Harold, Robert and Cecil Fisher)
Old-Timey Photos of WV-096-rubys-dad-lad-back-photo

3. Ruby's two older brothers, Cecil on left and Harold on right, with their Aunt Thelma Fisher, about 1915. Note the fashionable summer-weight footware.
Old-Timey Photos of WV-099-aunt-thelma-fisher-harold-cecil

4. Cecil and Harold Fisher again, probably in mid 1920's.
Old-Timey Photos of WV-093-harold-cecil-fisher.jpg

5. More of Ruby's relatives, circa 1919. Ruby seems to be the 2nd infant from the left, behind the hairless boy.
Old-Timey Photos of WV-101a-rubys-relatives-about-1919.jpg

6. Hamrick's Place, probably in the area of Burnsville, WV. I'm guessing circa 1940. Ruby's mother, Rachel (White) Fisher, remarried after Ruby's father walked away from his family in the 1920 timeframe. Her second husband was a Hamrick.
Old-Timey Photos of WV-044-wv.jpg

7. Believed to be the Barker Family, circa 1925, at an area called Roger's Hill. I think Stanley Barker, who passed about 2003, is the lad at center in overalls, and two tall gals next to him are Leota and Lucille Barker.
Old-Timey Photos of WV-barker-family-we-think-rogers-hill

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-18-2021 at 04:13 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 09:17 AM

9 posts, read 101,575 times
Hey Mike,
For whatever reason; this morning I decided to do a Google search on Rachel White/Weston,WV. I followed a search finding to the site of guy who had names I recognized and couldn't believe that wound up at your City-Data entries. Good stuff. I wondered who had all those pictures of Mom's family, didn't know it was you. By the way, have you looked at either getting them restored or copied? We had an picture of Frank's parents done and it turned out great. Anyway, great post.
Sis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia