Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:35 AM

191 posts, read 809,750 times

Advertisements

Tell me fromasmall town how have I caused Matoaka to be run down? That is such a stupid response, because I have never promised to save all the run down towns of WV. I do my part in my own town. That is such a ridiculous point of view, to blame people that aren't even from Matoaka for Matoaka being run down. A more intelligent response would be to admit that the coal is gone and nothing has ever replaced it as an economic foundation for Matoaka. The town might be those people's home, they might love it, but it is still a run down place with a bleak future. And as far as people's memories, who in their right mind would suggest to someone to move into an area because it is "people's memories." To blame people from Kanwha or Raleigh or Greenbrier counties for Matoaka's problems just doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 05:58 PM
x1x x1x started this thread

227 posts, read 805,592 times
To All Concerned: It not really a factor to me about what a town has to offer me, And I never stated I was moving there!!! And as far as any town being run down or what ever is only in the eyes of the beholder, You all need to remember towns like Matoaka and others were the backbone's of this country and should not be forgotten or criticized by anyone!!!!!!

Old 12-26-2007, 06:31 PM

6 posts, read 20,438 times
It is a hole in a wall. Their only claim to fame is their speed trap.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:29 PM

5 posts, read 14,760 times
Being that I used to live in Wyoming co I used to have to drive through matoka, when visiting family there. people who dont live there will always judge. I lived in garwood for one year. I still have family in matoka, montcalm and even mullens . I think. if they didnt move and an uncle somewhere in Rich Creek. its simple people unless your rich as hell and never have to work. STAY AWAY there are no jobs. I must be honest though you cannot denie it is a great place to visit. a former resident...
David Linkous.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,401 times
wow!!! what stories about matoaka,wv. i grew up in matoaka and went to school there, ....i graduated in 1975(matoaka high school) matoaka was a booming town when i lived there back in the 60s , i left after graduation in 1975. i have a lot of memories about matoaka. i went back there in 1980, wow they tore down the old matoaka high school except for the old gym. last time that i was there was june 1997 for my high school reunion in the old matoaka high gym. its sad that its become a ghost town with a population of 317, it was double that when i was a senior at matoaka high. i still have family in mercer county(princeton,spanishburg) i was born in princeton,wv.............mark in georgia

Old 01-16-2008, 02:07 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
I checked a property there last year. Flooding must be part of your consideration when building in this area. Also sink holes. If you can get around that, it's pretty there just the same. See FEMA articles regarding Mantoaka on web

Old 01-24-2008, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,372 times
Cool Move over here I come...

I'm actually thinking of buying a piece of land there. I always loved this state.. beauty beyond imagination. Always thought of it as God's Country.

As far as sink holes, and flooding..... well heck I live in Florida, we have those all the time, plus hurricanes, tornado's, the lightening capital of the U.S. AND the town where I live happens to be the METH capital also..

Now tell me, where should I live? Better yet.. where would YOU live?

Old 08-06-2008, 05:29 AM

7 posts, read 25,734 times
well the previous posts will help as my dear friend who is a single mother is looking for a small town to move to. I'll definitely tell her to proceed with caution when considering Montoaka!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,101 times
I grew up in Matoaka...i go back every four to five years..my niece and her family live there...my sister moved to Princeton to get away from the drastic changes...there is hardly any thing there now...i think a gas station, probably a hardware store owned by a local family named corvin....but all in all if i moved back to wv...i would probably move to Princeton or Bluefield.....maybe Athens....oh by the way the previous mayer was a very nice person and definately did not act as this did....i felt so ashamed to say i am from there.....Mr. Blankenship was Mayor when i lived there and he would have been appalled at this behavior.....it is beautiful up thwere and i am thinking of returning myself one day to live but not in Matoaka.....email me if any more questions

Old 07-05-2009, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,141 times
does anyone in this town know of any family by the name of Farmer....I believe my family comes from there but have never met any of them...well i do recall when i was young riding in my relatives army jeep somewhere around there in a house that looked like the waltons from tv.....can anyone help i am 36 now so the jeep ride was like 30 yrs ago.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia