Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 8,679 times

Advertisements

Hey all!!

My wife and I are moving to WV. Currently, we live in Roanoke, VA and love it but it is getting too crowded so I got a job transfer (I am an Investigator) that requires me to be within about 90 minutes or less to Charleston. We stay completely to ourselves, were in our late 30's, no children, and we are homebodies. Our goal is to purchase an old farm or piece of land with about 150 acres and built a new home on it. We want a REALLY quiet place to live, no people in our business or in sight, no children making noise, no close-by neighbors, but at least within an hour or less to a Wal-Mart.

We are HUGE outdoor enthusiasts and have a real passion for mountain biking and absolutely LOVE hiking. Living in an area with higher elevation would also be nice getting away from the hot summers. Ideally, we would really want to be in for very close by to mountains, definetely want to avoid any "flat" or valley areas. Views of the mountains would be a huge plus.

So what's your thoughts?? Based on this info, would you go north, south, east, or west of charleston? Specific areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 07:17 AM

5,988 posts, read 8,969,134 times
the Fayetteville/Summersville area is a good place you might want to look into. Fayetteville is about an hour from downtown Charleston, and Summersville is an hour and a half. Both towns are in some of the best recreational areas in the east. The New River Gorge National River, Summersville Lake, Halk's Nest, and many other things are right there and offer great hiking, mountain biking, and white water rafting. Zip lining is become huge in that area as well. Both towns have all the necessities including home grocery, Lowe's, Walmart, restaurants, etc... Fayetteville won the honor of America's coolest small town a few years back, and it has a charming downtown with cool local eateries. Plus you are also a quick drive to dozens upon dozens of other recreational opportunities towards the east.

Here is a link showing where these towns are located. A good middle point, and perhaps closer to Charleston would be Ansted.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Summe...ginia&t=m&z=10

Here are some helpful links:

Fayetteville West Virginia Vacation and Travel PlanningVisit Fayetteville WV ‹ 304-574-1500

Fayette County Chamber of Commerce

New River Gorge National River (U.S. National Park Service)

New River Gorge West Virginia Travel and Vacation Planning

Hawks Nest State Park

www.summersvillewv.org - Home

Nicholas County Commission - Home

Summersville Lake Retreat

Babcock State Park

Pocahontas County | Cranberry Glades/Nature Center

Old 05-24-2014, 07:42 AM

4 posts, read 8,679 times
Chriscross309 - outstanding information and THANK YOU! We are heading over to WV for a day trip to drive around and look at areas to get a feel. We will definitely check out these areas you recommended. Quick question though....if there is so much to do around these areas (rafting, biking, hiking, zip lining, ect.) doesn't that bring in a bunch of tourists or people in general? Remember yes we love the outdoors but our #1 goal is to live AWAY from people and noise. Will Fayetteville or Summersville still give us remote living like this?

Old 05-24-2014, 06:57 PM

5,988 posts, read 8,969,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002mrhill View Post
Chriscross309 - outstanding information and THANK YOU! We are heading over to WV for a day trip to drive around and look at areas to get a feel. We will definitely check out these areas you recommended. Quick question though....if there is so much to do around these areas (rafting, biking, hiking, zip lining, ect.) doesn't that bring in a bunch of tourists or people in general? Remember yes we love the outdoors but our #1 goal is to live AWAY from people and noise. Will Fayetteville or Summersville still give us remote living like this?
There is some tourist activity, but not over whelming amounts. You could easily find a nice remote place anywhere in that general area, or for all of WV for that matter.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:12 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,861,937 times
I think Summersville and Fayetteville would be extremely hard commutes if you have to drive to Charleston every day. I drove to Summersville last Friday and you get off exit 57 to Rt 19 and it is 30 minutes so that is 90 minutes from downtown Charleston if you don't speed too much over the limit.

If you want remote you need to look toward North I-79 in Roane, Clay or Calhoun counties or the southern part of Braxton (Frametown exit). You could look South 119 (aka Corridor G) toward Boone, Lincoln, Logan counties.

I am thinking what you are looking for could take a while to find, though. Just doesn't seem to be a buyer's market for what you wish for in very many places.

Good luck and welcome to Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia