Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Is that at the Blennerhassett? If so, I believe its an annual event or they have one of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:36 PM

282 posts, read 484,768 times
This is probably Taste of Parkersburg, which is May 29 & 30 downtown (Bi-centennial Park next to the Blennerhasset). It's become a very popular annual event. On housing, talking to a local realtor today, she said the housing market is very tight in the area right now.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,061 times
I agree with the comments on the Actors Guild and the running/walking club. There is a publication called the Bullentin Board and it is available on line (think they charge a fee)....this has a lot of rental properties listed. I actually work and live downtown and there isn't a lot to do, but events to happen....they have a haunted walking tour in the fall that I recommend....they talk a lot about the history of Parkersburg sites in the Juliana/Ann Street area. There is a victorian tea and house tour in December in the historical district and a garden tour in June. There is a multi-cultural festival in June at the city park....that may be an organization you would want to volunteer for. Vienna has a mall and a lot of restaurants. There isn't a lot to do in Williamstown, but a people live there because it is quiet and safe and has decent schooling. Marietta has kept a lot of their historical attributes and it is an easy town to drive/walk around. Are you moving here to work for the govn't? I only ask as I do and could give you more information once you move here.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:17 PM

26 posts, read 46,557 times
Default Crh

Quote:
Originally Posted by crh1975 View Post
I agree with the comments on the Actors Guild and the running/walking club. There is a publication called the Bullentin Board and it is available on line (think they charge a fee)....this has a lot of rental properties listed. I actually work and live downtown and there isn't a lot to do, but events to happen....they have a haunted walking tour in the fall that I recommend....they talk a lot about the history of Parkersburg sites in the Juliana/Ann Street area. There is a victorian tea and house tour in December in the historical district and a garden tour in June. There is a multi-cultural festival in June at the city park....that may be an organization you would want to volunteer for. Vienna has a mall and a lot of restaurants. There isn't a lot to do in Williamstown, but a people live there because it is quiet and safe and has decent schooling. Marietta has kept a lot of their historical attributes and it is an easy town to drive/walk around. Are you moving here to work for the govn't? I only ask as I do and could give you more information once you move here.

Yes, I am moving there in two weeks, and will start a new job (government) early May. I would like to volunteer for the multi-culture event in June. I found a place to live in Vienna, and am guessing it will be a short commute. Thank you for the information. The electricity company has 'upcoming events' listed, and I will look into the Bulletin Board, as well. Best regards, Connie

Old 04-14-2015, 05:43 PM

282 posts, read 484,768 times
Welcome to the area Connie. Vienna is a great choice. It's one of the nicest small cities in the state and just a few minutes from downtown.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:51 PM

Thank you, Route50guy. I am looking forward to the move and joining the community.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:22 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,882 times
No I haven't, still contemplating, but will be making a move soon....still leaning toward Parkersburg, but taking my time. I do try to land in places that are pretty, inexpensive with as low a crime rate as I can find. I want a smallish area...without the traffic and crowds. If NH or VT were cheaper, I would consider those places as well. Cause I prefer rural regions without a lot of people....but there is nothing cheap about New England, it seems to be more in line with the Northwest here, which is becoming all too expensive and fast...

Old 05-04-2015, 07:52 PM

I'm only pushing this as I want someone to buy it so I don't and get in trouble with the wife.

HUGE REDUCTION Property on Main Street in Cairo - Property - LandAndFarm.com - Land for Sale

You won't find anything nicer any cheaper. Your neighbor is a musician. You'll find random jams in the town square three doors up. No worry about crowds outside of cyclists on the rail trail that runs through town.

20 minutes outside of Parkersburg. There is a small river that runs across the street. (Well below street level so there is while a very remote chance not much of a chance of flooding)

There are two restaurants with one having killer BBQ. They will BBQ out doors on their deck right across the street from this building in the summer.

If I was retired.............

Old 05-31-2015, 03:51 PM

Update on move to Parkersburg: The area is beautiful, as I expected. This region of the U.S. is magnificent! There are many good things about the move, as well as a few concerns.

Another concern is what appears to be 'standoffish' attitudes. Being a very friendly person, I try to greet people with a kind smile and try to start a small conversation. Sad that some responses are very negative. Being one who is interested in the history of where I live / visit, it sounds like Parkersburg area was booming in the 1900's, and has fallen greatly over the last 30 years. It would be exciting to be a contributor to the renewed growth .... invest, pay taxes, be a part of the community ...

... to sum it up, it is a beautiful area, has a great deal of history, and I hope to remain.

Connie

Old 05-31-2015, 08:16 PM

Check out Marietta. They are pretty proud of their history and are doing things to promote it quite often. There are a few that promote historical Parkersburg and they are very knowledgeable but the city (elected officials) are pretty lame. (as I imagine you are reading and hearing about)

The concerts at Point Park are doing very well and are fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia