Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 07:38 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringomania View Post
Thanks to all for the responders.

I think I will be carrying because even though It would ruin my vacation getting arrested, I like challenging status quos, especially faulty ones.

CTMountaineer brings up a troubling truth about our country. The police officers who have ultimate power over us in given situations, are OFTEN TIMES completely ignorant of the laws they're sworn to enforce and the constitution they've vowed to uphold.

What we need to do is get to the bottom of WHO IS SETTING POLICY for police departments that says it is fine for police officers to be completely ignorant of the law, don't we as a citizenry deserve better trained police officers?

Not to mention, if they were better trained and not so engorged by donuts and coffee they would probably need half as many officers and could pay them a higher salary while at the same time saving tax monies. The higher pay would attract a superior force as well, a win win win.

To me it seems that whoever is setting policy; want people to be weary of reckless or ignorant cops who might mistakenly arrest them, the people who set the policy (whoever THEY are) want us walking on egg shells to an extent (even when within the law) instead of being confident in our rights as law-abiding citizens.

It's gone on so long that it certainly seems to be by design. Though our leaders are often times not the brightest minds when viewing the big picture, they often do know how to set policy to get the desired effect that they are looking for. So it seems more than just innocent ignorance.

disclaimer: I've met numerous officers who do a great job and are very professional. Though when it comes to guns and the number of officers who are NOT "conditioned" to make arrests on guns in the crazy anti-gun states, the numbers start to dwindle in terms of knowing the law.
I wouldn't be too quick to blame the cops. They get relatively little training... generally from 12 to 24 weeks, and a lot of that is arrest techniques and the like, and they have to learn most of what they do on the job like anybody else. Even lawyers with 3 years of training don't know all the laws. You could stack our laws on top of each other in this country, and you'd need a ladder truck to get to the top of the stack.

Every time the wackomatics in our government feel the need to take away more of our freedoms and pass ever more restrictive laws, they don't take one off the books. The effect is cumulative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 12:50 PM

7 posts, read 10,987 times
IN WV you CAN NOT have a loaded gun in the woods if there is no hunting season taking place. Most people in WV are not even aware of that law.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 AM

1,229 posts, read 859,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringomania View Post
Not to worry, the extra-terrestrials are my friends.

I mean, who's to say they're trying to harm us? They very well could be trying help humanity out of its current dire situation.

Besides, if I am abducted I'm hoping they can preserve my brain and upload it to their futuristic alien servers, I have a lot of great ideas!

The guy who wrote the book is clearly alluding to two types of abduction scenarios :

Abduction by another human or humans {possible serial killer }

and

Abduction by some type of predator-class animal { Big cat/Mountain Lion/Bear }

The radio show host might have been joking around about ''visitors'' or ''extraterrestrials'' --- but in all actuality he is a fairly well known debunker and skeptic.

As one poster already mentioned : Hillbilly Bob cooking meth out in the woods is a much more plausible scenario.

Here's another excellent article about strange disappearances related to hikers.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...who_vanis.html

Last edited by At-Chilles; 07-02-2014 at 12:18 AM..

Old 07-04-2014, 09:17 AM

48 posts, read 99,359 times
Oh, lol. Sorry my mistake.

That last article was about the Oregon wilderness, I lived in Oregon. Normally I would say it is likely people who got lost (and I'm sure some of it is) unfortunately I have a sneaking suspicious that some of them are running into "crazies" in the woods. Because Oregon while beautiful and not a terrible place, does have its share of crazies, well everywhere does, but I mean dangerous crazies. Good reason to carry a gun and never let yourself get abducted in the first place, or some type of weapon even if just a strong mace or the like along with a hunting knife.

Thanks for your concern brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
The guy who wrote the book is clearly alluding to two types of abduction scenarios :

Abduction by another human or humans {possible serial killer }

and

Abduction by some type of predator-class animal { Big cat/Mountain Lion/Bear }

The radio show host might have been joking around about ''visitors'' or ''extraterrestrials'' --- but in all actuality he is a fairly well known debunker and skeptic.

As one poster already mentioned : Hillbilly Bob cooking meth out in the woods is a much more plausible scenario.

Here's another excellent article about strange disappearances related to hikers.

Lost in Oregon: Hiker's 2012 disappearance joins hundreds of unsolved wilderness cases | OregonLive.com

Old 07-04-2014, 11:50 AM

708 posts, read 1,157,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Well, according to the Destination American channel tv series Mountain Monsters, you will need to keep an eye out for the Snallygaster of Preston County, The Devil Dog of Logan County, Wampus Cat of Pleasants Co, ect.

And that doesn't even include the famous Braxton County Monster or the Point Pleasant Mothman!
There's a Wampus Cat in McDowell and Wyoming Counties too..

Old 07-04-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk1974 View Post
IN WV you CAN NOT have a loaded gun in the woods if there is no hunting season taking place. Most people in WV are not even aware of that law.
That is correct. There are but a few exceptions, and they do not apply to the ordinary citizen:

A person with a concealed carry pistol permit may have a CONCEALED loaded pistol only in his possession in the woods.

A Federal or State police officer may have a loaded weapon in his possession in the woods at any time.

A county or local law enforcement officer may have a loaded weapon in his possession in the woods if the location of the woods is in his jurisdiction. (This particular law is seldom strictly enforced for the police, and in reality for all practical purposes police are given a blank check to have a loaded pistol anywhere in the country).

A corrections, probation, or parole officer on official duty may have a loaded weapon in his possession in the woods at any time for the purposes of official business.

An active member of the US Armed Forces, or of the National Guard, on official business may have a loaded firearm in the woods while on duty.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 07-04-2014 at 10:05 PM..

Old 07-04-2014, 10:01 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,353 times
You mean I can't carry a gun on my side in a holster in plain sight if walk in the woods? We've Been doin this for years, ill have to check into it.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
You mean I can't carry a gun on my side in a holster in plain sight if walk in the woods? We've Been doin this for years, ill have to check into it.
Only if it is small game season, and you have a small game hunting license. Otherwise, you are in violation of the law and a Conservation Officer would arrest you if you were to be caught. If it is not small game season, the pistol must be unloaded and cased (they count having it in a backpack as being cased). I got that straight from the local DEP Captain. You can, however, have a loaded pistol in the OPEN FIELD at any time for the purposes of hunting coyotes or other unprotected species if you have a valid hunting license. There is no season for hunting some animals in the open field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia