Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

West Virginia: teacher, university, wvu, college football, beachfront property.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 12:54 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Wow. You people really are idiots. The people from Huntington and their little brother complex. This is outstanding.
You must have missed the part where I said that I went to WVU. I was there for 5 years and graduated in 2003 with a masters. In my opinion, it is more idiotic to accept such behavior and act like it is the norm and then say "everyone else does it too." Yes this type of stuff does go on at other schools, but it doesn't mean that it should happen at WVU to the extent that it does. You can get all up in arms if you want but when people act like that, it shouldn't be condoned. If you accept it then it will only become worse, as it has in Morgantown over the years. Like it or not, WVU fans have a reputation nationally for poor fan behavior. As an alumnus, I don't like the image that type of behavior gives the school and the state. You can get mad and call people who point it out idiots or you can discourage your fellow students from acting that way when you see it happen. I think the University needs to do more to discourage such behavior and to be more severe with the punishments. It's pretty bad when your own kicker gets death threats and gets his car vandalized because he missed 2 kicks after being nearly perfect all year. And jfronz, a car was burned in Morgantown after the Pitt game. I'm not saying these things for any reason other than to show how out of control fan behavior has become and how it needs to change. It's only a game. And WVUPharm2007, Marshall has been nationally ranked in the top 20 a few times and has won a couple of 1-AA national titles with no resulting couch burnings. I also went to the WVU-Marshall game this year in Huntington and didn't see anything beyond typical mouth running, etc. Huntington and Marshall did a lot to make the WVU fans feel welcome including concerts, both team tailgates, etc.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_541356.html
http://www.dailymail.com/News/200712030038
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07336/838577-233.stm

Last edited by tbailey1138; 12-25-2007 at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 01:18 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
I don't really think there is any solid evidence to prove that mountaineer fan behavior is worse now than it used to be, again I don't live in Morgantown anymore but a number of fellow alums have commented to me that the fans are tamer now than they were back in the 80s and 90s. i wasn't saying that car arson has never happened at WVU but it is certainly more prevalent at other schools. A friend of mine who is still in grad school at WVU lives near the car fire site and told me about it, how stupid can you be to go to Morgantown or any opposing school and park your car that has the rival team stickers ALL OVER IT in a neighborhood heavily populated by students. Gee uhh...maybe that was a bad idea. Rivalries are rivalries people, any school which has fans that are dedicated and support their team will do things to opposing fans that not everyone will agree with. Marshall's fan reputation MIGHT not be as bad with most games seeing as how they can't even sell out their stadium for games (minus the coal bowl game because so many WVU fans bought tickets). However the fans during their games with WVU are easily as obnoxious and unruly. I'm not hear to bash Marshall because honestly I don't think that is really fair, but I get so sick of Herd fans constantly acting like all Mountaineer fans do is bully and pick on them. I hope they stop the coal bowl asap, its not like wvu benefits at all from winning that game and all the marshall fans do is whine about how they were treated by mountaineer fans.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 12-25-2007 at 01:28 PM..

Old 12-25-2007, 06:35 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,782 times
haha I think it's funny that anyone who thinks a bunch of drunk underage kids chanting "who's got a herd on" and whose band can't play "hey baby" anymore because the student section sings along with suck my %$!$ instead of "be my girl", is more respectful than anything WVU fans would do.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:53 PM

938 posts, read 2,898,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
You must have missed the part where I said that I went to WVU. I was there for 5 years and graduated in 2003 with a masters. In my opinion, it is more idiotic to accept such behavior and act like it is the norm and then say "everyone else does it too." Yes this type of stuff does go on at other schools, but it doesn't mean that it should happen at WVU to the extent that it does. You can get all up in arms if you want but when people act like that, it shouldn't be condoned. If you accept it then it will only become worse, as it has in Morgantown over the years. Like it or not, WVU fans have a reputation nationally for poor fan behavior. As an alumnus, I don't like the image that type of behavior gives the school and the state. You can get mad and call people who point it out idiots or you can discourage your fellow students from acting that way when you see it happen. I think the University needs to do more to discourage such behavior and to be more severe with the punishments. It's pretty bad when your own kicker gets death threats and gets his car vandalized because he missed 2 kicks after being nearly perfect all year. And jfronz, a car was burned in Morgantown after the Pitt game. I'm not saying these things for any reason other than to show how out of control fan behavior has become and how it needs to change. It's only a game. And WVUPharm2007, Marshall has been nationally ranked in the top 20 a few times and has won a couple of 1-AA national titles with no resulting couch burnings. I also went to the WVU-Marshall game this year in Huntington and didn't see anything beyond typical mouth running, etc. Huntington and Marshall did a lot to make the WVU fans feel welcome including concerts, both team tailgates, etc.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_541356.html
http://www.dailymail.com/News/200712030038
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07336/838577-233.stm
So let's see. One wacko threating a kicker is indicative of an entire student body. Brilliant logic, there, chief. A girl was killed and shoved into a crawl space in Huntington a month ago...using the same logic, everyone in Huntington is a psycho killer.

Yes, the Marshall students are little bundles of radiating joy. When I walked by the students just a few months ago at the game, I got a nice "fa**ot" chant sent my way. Obviously they were WVU fans in disguise giving the saintly Marshall students a bad rep, right? 1-AA championships are crap championships. I guarantee you that if Marshall ever miraculously beat WVU in football, there would be a few isolated idiots burning crap.

Get over your generalizing BS....seriously...it makes you look like a person without the ability to form a rational thought. You have no real statistics, studies, or anything of that matter to compare to other major programs. You are just using biased blathering to back up your statements.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:28 PM

6 posts, read 20,439 times
He broke one off in all mountaineers.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:01 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Quote:
So let's see. One wacko threating a kicker is indicative of an entire student body. Brilliant logic, there, chief. A girl was killed and shoved into a crawl space in Huntington a month ago...using the same logic, everyone in Huntington is a psycho killer.

Yes, the Marshall students are little bundles of radiating joy. When I walked by the students just a few months ago at the game, I got a nice "fa**ot" chant sent my way. Obviously they were WVU fans in disguise giving the saintly Marshall students a bad rep, right? 1-AA championships are crap championships. I guarantee you that if Marshall ever miraculously beat WVU in football, there would be a few isolated idiots burning crap.

Get over your generalizing BS....seriously...it makes you look like a person without the ability to form a rational thought. You have no real statistics, studies, or anything of that matter to compare to other major programs. You are just using biased blathering to back up your statements.

You seem to be the one having trouble with your logic. I guess being a WVU grad from Huntington, rather than giving me experience in both venues makes me biased huh? And nowhere did I say because a few people acted this way that this is how all WVU fans behave. It is true though that because of the bad actions of a few, they give the whole fan base a bad name because it usually makes the news, sometimes nationally. This is what I take issue with, especially since a large number of the students doing this type of thing are likely from out of state and don't really care one way or the other what type of bad rep it gives WVU and the state. Again, not all but some. And the examples above were only given because that was the most recent example and the last game that WVU played in. I've witnessed and read about other incidents happening as well. And the example you gave as you were walking past the Marshall student section, that's tame as compared to what I've seen WVU students do to visiting fans from other teams. But that type of verbal bantering is to be expected when two teams are playing, especially if there is somewhat of a rivalry. Physical abuse, rock throwing and fires take it a little too far though. And good luck finding a study on such a subject. Such talk has to be based on personal experience, observation and what makes the news and I've tried to reference all three. Here's a good thread from another forum along the lines of this thread.
http://sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/5094889/0/0/5113631#ID5113631 (broken link)
My responses aren't meant to be condemning to WVU, but rather pointing out that this is something that needs to be worked on by SOME of the fans and something the university needs to be tougher on. I'm done with this topic now as I don't want it too get too heated. And good luck to WVU in the Fiesta bowl. Hopefully Coach Stewart can inspire the players to rise above their current circumstances and pull out a win against the Sooners.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:18 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
If you really believe that as a Marshall grad, I have some beautiful Wheeling beachfront property to sell you. Spare me the collegiate xenophobia....
Oh bull... stop trying to be condescending. I'm not from Huntington, I'm from north central WV. I attend Marshall because it works for me, its a great institution and I care about academics rather than drinking up $14,000 a year or watching some football games. WOW! Those are some amazing past times. I'll just focus on my grades, organizations and social life . Don't even try that crap with me, because I'm not going to argue with idiots over something this stupid. ALL I SAID WAS "KARMA" Are you honestly saying that WVU's student body is more well behaved than Marshall's student body?!? Right....

Old 12-30-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
You seem to be the one having trouble with your logic. I guess being a WVU grad from Huntington, rather than giving me experience in both venues makes me biased huh?
Yes, it certainly appears to. Or at least you are letting stereotypes affect your judgement.

Quote:
And nowhere did I say because a few people acted this way that this is how all WVU fans behave. It is true though that because of the bad actions of a few, they give the whole fan base a bad name because it usually makes the news, sometimes nationally. This is what I take issue with, especially since a large number of the students doing this type of thing are likely from out of state and don't really care one way or the other what type of bad rep it gives WVU and the state. Again, not all but some. And the examples above were only given because that was the most recent example and the last game that WVU played in. I've witnessed and read about other incidents happening as well. And the example you gave as you were walking past the Marshall student section, that's tame as compared to what I've seen WVU students do to visiting fans from other teams. But that type of verbal bantering is to be expected when two teams are playing, especially if there is somewhat of a rivalry. Physical abuse, rock throwing and fires take it a little too far though. And good luck finding a study on such a subject. Such talk has to be based on personal experience, observation and what makes the news and I've tried to reference all three. Here's a good thread from another forum along the lines of this thread.
So basically you are agreeing with me that it is something that happens everywhere? Ok, thanks.

Quote:
http://sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/5094889/0/0/5113631#ID5113631 (broken link)
Dude, I hate to break it to you, but that isn't proof. Unless a sociologist actually takes the time to write a paper comparing the behavior of sports fans from SIMILAR large state institutions with teams that are actually good (i.e. SEC teams, V Tech - which is just as bad if not worse, Penn State, etc.) it's all nothing but hearsay and BS whining.

Quote:
My responses aren't meant to be condemning to WVU, but rather pointing out that this is something that needs to be worked on by SOME of the fans and something the university needs to be tougher on. I'm done with this topic now as I don't want it too get too heated. And good luck to WVU in the Fiesta bowl. Hopefully Coach Stewart can inspire the players to rise above their current circumstances and pull out a win against the Sooners.
Ok.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Oh bull... stop trying to be condescending. I'm not from Huntington, I'm from north central WV. I attend Marshall because it works for me, its a great institution and I care about academics rather than drinking up $14,000 a year or watching some football games. WOW! Those are some amazing past times. I'll just focus on my grades, organizations and social life .
That's great logic there. WVU students are drunkards and Marshall students are perfect angels now? Please. The academics at WVU are about the same as Marshall. The diversions are just more amusing at WVU with better athletics, student orgs, and access to an actual large city in about an hour and change worth of driving. If that's a negative to you...fine, whatever. But, hey, if rambling about the superiority of Marshall students over WVU is your thing, more power to you. I have no complaints personally. I am making $110k+ directly out of school with my "drinkin' school" degree at 24 years of age. Yes...it was certainly a waste of my time going to an "inferior" institution. When my wife graduates with the same degree in '09, we'll be pulling in almost a quarter of a mil annually. But I digress and yield to your superior and just analysis. I'll be crying myself to sleep when I'm retired at age 43. Such a failure I'll be. God, why didn't I go to Marshall?

Quote:
Don't even try that crap with me, because I'm not going to argue with idiots over something this stupid.
That's fine, you may continue. I'm not an idiot. My mommy told me so. Honest.

Quote:
ALL I SAID WAS "KARMA" Are you honestly saying that WVU's student body is more well behaved than Marshall's student body?!? Right....
No...they are about the same. We are talking about 18-25 year olds here. To say that one is more well behaved than the other is complete idiocy. Especially when we are comparing MARSHALL to WVU. We aren't comparing an Ivy League school to a Junior College in Miami Beach. We're comparing medium sized state school to larger state school. You are going off of stupid popular stereotypes. That's your proof. Are you going to tell me you can see the Great Wall of China from outer space, too? I mean, heck you are from West Virginia....does that mean you practice incest, walk around barefoot, and distill moonshine?

Old 12-30-2007, 11:16 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
That's great logic there. WVU students are drunkards and Marshall students are perfect angels now? Please. The academics at WVU are about the same as Marshall. The diversions are just more amusing at WVU with better athletics, student orgs, and access to an actual large city in about an hour and change worth of driving. If that's a negative to you...fine, whatever. But, hey, if rambling about the superiority of Marshall students over WVU is your thing, more power to you. I have no complaints personally. I am making $110k+ directly out of school with my "drinkin' school" degree at 24 years of age. Yes...it was certainly a waste of my time going to an "inferior" institution. When my wife graduates with the same degree in '09, we'll be pulling in almost a quarter of a mil annually. But I digress and yield to your superior and just analysis. I'll be crying myself to sleep when I'm retired at age 43. Such a failure I'll be. God, why didn't I go to Marshall?
------I've never said Marshall students were or are perfect angels, I don't know where you pulled that from. Also I do not care at all how much you make a year and how much your wife "WILL" make, you do not impress me.

That's fine, you may continue. I'm not an idiot. My mommy told me so. Honest.

------She lies...

No...they are about the same. We are talking about 18-25 year olds here. To say that one is more well behaved than the other is complete idiocy. Especially when we are comparing MARSHALL to WVU. We aren't comparing an Ivy League school to a Junior College in Miami Beach. We're comparing medium sized state school to larger state school. You are going off of stupid popular stereotypes.That's your proof.

---------Are you forgetting about that study that gave WVU the #1 party school in the country and the school with the students most likely to NOT study.

Are you going to tell me you can see the Great Wall of China from outer space, too? I mean, heck you are from West Virginia....does that mean you practice incest, walk around barefoot, and distill moonshine?

--------- I like Pittsburgh and all, I may live there after I graduate because its larger and closer to home. But in Huntington, our metro area is about 3 times larger than Morgantown's and we can also drive to Lexington, Cinncinati, or Columbus

Last edited by GottaHerdOn; 12-31-2007 at 12:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia