Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 17,683 times

Advertisements

I have to move from IA to WV in the coming month of July. I'm planning to buy a new car in IA. I will already by paying 5% tax in IA and have read in previous posts about WV slapping tax on out of state purchases. My questions are:
1) What is the sales tax on car purchase in WV,
2) During registration in WV, will I have to pay any additional tax on the new car I'm planning to buy in IA

Any pointers in this regard will be appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 04:22 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
We called it the 'Welcome Tax...move to WV and get hit within 60 days of paying .06% of your present vehicles value.
So much Hell was raised by new people coming in, that it was finally repealed last year.
It had been on the books forever...at least 40 years, and the dweebs in Charleston did not want to let it go.

The present, penalty for buying a vehicle is .06%.
Not really bad.....but the clincher will be the County Personal Property Rate for that vehicle when you move in...better check on that too.
Might be over 1k per year on a vehicle, if it's a certain make and model.

Those tax laws have pushed the everyday Wv local into driving a vehicle that's 10 years old or older.
The taxes are based on 'Blue Book Values and after 10 yrs depreciate out.
Many people have several spare cars too, as the sophisticated electronics of the new cars mean expensive repairs.

The trend is to get a bike...you will see thousands of Harleys on the roads..give them some room and respect...that could very well be your doctor at the throttle in the lane next to you...

good luck, and remember...this state is Democratic and here to take all of your money...

Old 05-19-2009, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 17,683 times
Hi David,
THanks for the info.
I tried to find out how much county personal property rate would be for Monongalia County (I will be living in Morgantown) but could not find a very clear answer. Is anyone over here aware of the county personal property rate for Monongalia county ?
Thanks a lot for the help!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:50 AM

175 posts, read 564,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulgarg View Post
Hi David,
THanks for the info.
I tried to find out how much county personal property rate would be for Monongalia County (I will be living in Morgantown) but could not find a very clear answer. Is anyone over here aware of the county personal property rate for Monongalia county ?
Thanks a lot for the help!
I paid taxes for last year on an '06 Dodge Magnum and an '07 HD Heritage Classic to the tune of $467.00. That is Jackson County and I would suspect that most counties have a similar rate. I traded up to an '08 HD Ultra Classic last year so I'll get hammered big time next year.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,753 times
I am currently living in the noreaster panhandle of WV and I have to say that the tax methods compromise the constitution ethically and perhaps even legally. I too was outraged with the extra tax to register our cars when we first moved to WV. On top of that they pro-rate the personal property tax when you move in. They, (legisrators) just put it into a different category to make it legal.
We have experienced other things that they do that clearly violate constitutional rights of citizens in part or fully, but that of course is typical of the legislators these days in the jurisdictional and especially our federal goverment.
By the way, Was'nt the tax thing one of the major reasons for the revolutionary war?

Sincerley,
Jeff

Old 09-06-2014, 08:59 PM

537 posts, read 958,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlewhall77 View Post
I am currently living in the noreaster panhandle of WV and I have to say that the tax methods compromise the constitution ethically and perhaps even legally. I too was outraged with the extra tax to register our cars when we first moved to WV. On top of that they pro-rate the personal property tax when you move in. They, (legisrators) just put it into a different category to make it legal.
We have experienced other things that they do that clearly violate constitutional rights of citizens in part or fully, but that of course is typical of the legislators these days in the jurisdictional and especially our federal goverment.
By the way, Was'nt the tax thing one of the major reasons for the revolutionary war?

Sincerley,
Jeff
Yeah, taxing citizens clearly violates the Constitution. So glad you created a City-Data account so you could alert us to this.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:10 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
As far as I know, West Virginia does not put a sales tax on vehicles that were previously titled and registered in other states. There was a time when that was done, but not these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia