Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 07:56 AM

70 posts, read 171,835 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have information on new LTE markets in West Virginia specifically coverage on Route 33 east to the Virginia border?:think Have been told that native VZW coverage will happen soon in Buckhannon & then Elkins but only Extended Network via US Cellular as of this time!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 12:54 PM

632 posts, read 833,126 times
I haven't heard anything like that and think it's highly unlikely there will ever be LTE coverage on Rt. 33. Even Elkins is pushing it. It's getting too close to Sugar Grove and NRAO at Greenbank

Old 09-24-2014, 08:06 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
I haven't heard anything like that and think it's highly unlikely there will ever be LTE coverage on Rt. 33. Even Elkins is pushing it. It's getting too close to Sugar Grove and NRAO at Greenbank
I haven't been a Verizon Wireless customer since 2010, I've had AT&T since then. But what is the difference between 4G and LTE that would make such difference to the observatory? Technically "the quiet zone" stretches all the way from just outside of Clarksburg to Charlottesville, VA, including Harrisonburg, VA and Staunton, VA and Lewisburg, WV. Harrisonburg isn't that much further away than Elkins and I'm sure they have way better reception.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:35 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,050,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I haven't been a Verizon Wireless customer since 2010, I've had AT&T since then. But what is the difference between 4G and LTE that would make such difference to the observatory? Technically "the quiet zone" stretches all the way from just outside of Clarksburg to Charlottesville, VA, including Harrisonburg, VA and Staunton, VA and Lewisburg, WV. Harrisonburg isn't that much further away than Elkins and I'm sure they have way better reception.
I really don't understand the process for the quiet zone, but since they do have cell phone service in Elkins and Harrisonburg, and they don't anywhere near Green Bank, I have to assume there are bands where some sorts of radio traffic is permitted.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:44 PM

632 posts, read 833,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I really don't understand the process for the quiet zone, but since they do have cell phone service in Elkins and Harrisonburg, and they don't anywhere near Green Bank, I have to assume there are bands where some sorts of radio traffic is permitted.

That's right. And there can't be any towers built within the zone without permission from NRAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia