Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 08:17 PM

11 posts, read 15,110 times

Advertisements

My husband recently accepted a position for a local truck repair shop in Wheeling. I have read a lot of the posts on here regarding the area. Am I right in looking for rentals south of Wheeling or even across the river in St. Clairesville? We visited the area a couple months ago and we absolutely fell in love with it. After reading somebody's comments on here about Oglebay Resort, we went there and fell even deeper in love with the area. I have never seen any place so beautiful! It is also because of seeing Oglebay Resort that we knew WV was the place for us. I am not finding much in the way of rentals though. The newspaper has lots of places in Steubenville, Weirton and I've read that those places are not a good place to raise a family. Any help, advice, rental property names, etc., would be greatly appreciated!!!! Also, I know that the gas/oil boom is happening up there but what about administrative type jobs? A big thank you to those of you who post often about Wheeling!! It's been most helpful thus far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 06:30 PM

394 posts, read 1,427,875 times
I would look into the Elm Grove or Dimmydale areas. You'll be close to Oglebay, most desirable locations in Wheeling, and I-70 in case you want to traverse the area quickly.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:17 AM

10,147 posts, read 14,994,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan09 View Post
I would look into the Elm Grove or Dimmydale areas. You'll be close to Oglebay, most desirable locations in Wheeling, and I-70 in case you want to traverse the area quickly.
Now this I agree with. Those along with Woodsdale would be good choices.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:29 PM

11 posts, read 15,110 times
Thank you! Most of the places we can afford all have an income cap. My husband does NOT work for the gas/oil companies. I refuse to pay more rent than we are paying here in IN. It's getting very frustrating but I guess we'll have to look further south and have a bit of a commute.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:32 PM

869 posts, read 1,562,091 times
Areas of south of Wheeling (Moundsville, New Martinsville) can be pricey too.

The Weirton/Steubenville area really isn't that bad. Steubenville has more of a crime issue, but the overall area is safe and laid back. There are smaller towns to consider too. Follansbee and Wellsburg, just south of Weirton, are a little closer to Wheeling. But you really have to visit to get a vibe of the area.

East of Wheeling is Washington County, PA (where I live) and rentals are hard to come by here as well. The only decent ones seem to be north of the city of Washington, which would be quite a drive.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:22 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,779,986 times
Wheeling has a lot of good streets and neighborhoods the areas near Wheeling Jesuit and the hospital are fine. Elm Grove, Dimmeydale, Woodsdale, and the areas near Wheeling Park and Oglebay are all fine. Warwood has a lot of streets with some being nicer than others due to some rundown rentals but there are definitely options there. Center and North Wheeling has some of the nice Victorian houses that have been renovated and turned into apartments.

Unfortunately having to depend on finding a nice rental for a decent price makes it a lot harder since it's hard to find that middle ground. Some of the nicer rentals/townhouses are definitely pricey. Then on the other side of the coin what has happened in certain parts of Wheeling is the classic case of rich people buying up old houses, turning them into rentals, and then not putting any money back into the property itself. The commute to/from the Washington, PA area isn't bad at all it's all highway but the rental market prices there might be about the same.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,722 times
My daughter just accepted a job in Wheeling and is looking for 2 bedroom rental in a safe area. She would love to find a loft apartment or one with an industrial feel. Do you recommend a realtor, newspaper or isa visit the only way to find a hidden gem. We have 6 weeks to find something in a safe area...HELP! Oh and staying in Ohio may be best since she has Ohio divers lic already.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:32 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,779,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schatzi42 View Post
My daughter just accepted a job in Wheeling and is looking for 2 bedroom rental in a safe area. She would love to find a loft apartment or one with an industrial feel. Do you recommend a realtor, newspaper or isa visit the only way to find a hidden gem. We have 6 weeks to find something in a safe area...HELP! Oh and staying in Ohio may be best since she has Ohio divers lic already.
This is the classified ads for the Wheeling area. I know the entire region and the 3 states very well if you're curious about any of them or the properties listed there you can pm me. I would be happy to help and give input. You can also check out Craigslist of course. I would not pay some of the outrageous prices that some people are trying to get due to the oil/gas worker boom.

Hot-Ads Wheeling, WV

Old 11-28-2014, 04:46 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,868,811 times
When you "love an area", sometimes it is worth more than you were previously paying. Just saying....

Hopefully, you will find something suitable in WV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia