U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 05:48 PM

3 posts, read 6,815 times

Advertisements

Sorry that this will be a bit of a rant...

We live in Cleveland OH and have owned some property in very rural part of Wirt county for several years. We like the isolation and lack of interference. Our neighbors are independent, self reliant, practical people who we admire greatly and seek to emulate.

Have an opportunity to move there and discovered Wirt passed a building ordinance last year that took effect 1/1/2015.

I've read the ordinance, and you basically can't do squat to any structures or the land itself without getting a permit.

Now, I'm not opposed to building permits in general. I know there are safety issues with electricity, and sanitation issues with septic systems. I realize the county needs to assess the property properly.

But one of the reason we are trying to get out of the city is to get away from this sort of silliness.

Here's part of my problem with this. The assessor office is open 8-4 M-F. No weekends, no evenings. So every time I want to make a change on my property on a weekend, I have to take time off work prior to request a permit, then presumably arrange to have some permit official visit my property - more time off work. That's not even mentioning the permit costs, which although they can be waived for small projects for now, are nearly certain to rise over time. And there are penalties of $50-$500 plus the cost of prosecution. I can see a lot of my projects' costs exceeded by the cost of my time off. It seems, as in the city, that this system is designed to make it difficult for people to work on their own property so they'll be "encouraged" to hire "professionals" who can be available to chase paper during normal business hours as a cost of doing business.

I'm sorta surprised this ordinance passed. Most West Virginians I've met in the county don't seem to be the type that would support this type of intrusion outside of town. I can understand it in town, like Elizabeth, where there's a relatively high density of people, but not out in the middle of nowhere where we have land. I have a feeling the bulk of the county is going to ignore it until and unless the county gets heavy handed with enforcement. And that's going to change the character of the county, and not for the better if you ask me.

It sure doesn't seem to fit with "Mountaineers are always free" motto to me.

I'm curious if anyone in the county is likewise angered by this or if I'm going to be the odd one out if we move down. Since I'm not a resident (yet), I have no representation in that I didn't get to vote for the powers that be, but I surely am not exempt from the taxation and now the regulation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia