U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2006, 06:11 PM

6 posts, read 35,180 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think of this area, also of the county that it is in? Moving from Montgomery County, Maryland, well Germantown to be exact. Requesting information on shopping, race, job opportunity for a soon to be college grad, taxes, entertainment, clubs, etc..., whatever you wish to share.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 10:59 PM

11 posts, read 55,973 times
no clubs mostly white people no job oppritunity.Martinsburg or Charlestown would be better

Old 04-05-2007, 06:20 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,152,193 times
What about Shepardstown? It is a college town. I know my neice goes and hangs out there, actually she loves it and wants to move there. She went to school there but never finished. That is in Jefferson County, I believe it is a close drive to Hagerstown and Frederick as well.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:36 PM

16,579 posts, read 8,146,078 times
Join the club. We had moved from Germantown, MD to here [Kearneyville ?] more than 15 years ago. Alot HAS changed and area has grown significantly since then.
It's awkward for me saying Kearneysville [Jefferson Cnty] when our house is physically situated in the adjoining county - called Berkeley County, but that's the way the post office assigned us.
Agree w/ Janipoo regarding Shepherdstown. Good college town atmosphere. My husband and I have made several trips on the weekends, checking out the shops and enjoying a mocha latte at the Lost Dog Cafe.
We like the location, as it's about 30 mins drive to either Frederick/Hagerstown,MD or Winchester, Virginia.
As I mentioned before when we first moved out here there were only 2 grocery stores now there's so many to choose from. Everyone seems to have their reasons for either shopping at a Weis, Food Lion, Martin's [subsidiary of Giant], or Walmart's grocery. All of the Walmarts in this area are of the "super" size, so you have a wide array of grocery aisles. I like going to Walmart's grocery area for some things and other times I prefer Martin's.
Anything else you'd like to know please feel free to ask.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:05 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,746,549 times
Wanting to get away from that 'city income tax, huh...don't forget about Harpers Ferry...40 miles out and has a train station...

Old 05-25-2009, 07:32 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,975,492 times
I lived in Kearneysville once, yes once.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:52 AM

16,817 posts, read 19,584,199 times
Kearneysville and Leetown are really nice areas. My first house was off Leetown Rd in a little S/D called Woodbury Estates. Maybe 15 homes, 3-10 acre lots. Great neighbors, most of whom are still there.

Area is really quiet, closest shopping is now Ranson, maybe 10 minutes away? Mostly white, although there was a little ethnic diversity in my old neighborhood.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 AM

380 posts, read 1,098,292 times
I had nearly finished typing a long winded description of the vast shopping, job and entertainment opportunities as well as recently increased ethnic diversity within this area when IE decided to shut down. So, here's the much shortened version.

Mostly anything you could want (except the ocean) is within an hour drive.
Anywhere in Jefferson County WV is better than Montgomery County MD.
I've lived in Jefferson County for about 37 years now and still mostly like the area (I'm selling my property to move further west, but that's mainly so I can afford a larger property and owe less.)
Let me know if you have more specific questions and I'll try to answer more specifically.
Squint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia