Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 04:03 PM

33 posts, read 45,993 times

Advertisements

I am new to posting here, but I've been researching city-data.com and reading the forums for some time.

I am resident in the I-81 corridor, and I am trying to learn more about the specific area of the Eastern Panhandle. There's lots of information here, for sure! But it is sometimes a little hard to find, because the posts about the area in general, and specific places in the area, are all posted under the general West Virginia forum.

I would argue that, because the Eastern Panhandle in general, and the I-81 Corridor in particular, are among the fastest-growing areas in the US, in terms of population growth and economic growth, this region may hold a special interest to everyone from folks thinking about moving here, to vacationers, to investors.

If people are coming here looking for information, and for opinions, and perhaps looking for knowledgeable contacts in the specific area of Eastern Panhandle/I-81 Corridor, wouldn't it make sense for there to be a forum for the specific region? The other sub-forums seem to all cover mostly the western or central part of the State, but perhaps most of the "action" is in the eastern part of the State, specifically in the Eastern Panhandle.

Submitted for your consideration,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 04:06 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,513,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherObserver View Post
I am new to posting here, but I've been researching city-data.com and reading the forums for some time.

I am resident in the I-81 corridor, and I am trying to learn more about the specific area of the Eastern Panhandle. There's lots of information here, for sure! But it is sometimes a little hard to find, because the posts about the area in general, and specific places in the area, are all posted under the general West Virginia forum.

I would argue that, because the Eastern Panhandle in general, and the I-81 Corridor in particular, are among the fastest-growing areas in the US, in terms of population growth and economic growth, this region may hold a special interest to everyone from folks thinking about moving here, to vacationers, to investors.

If people are coming here looking for information, and for opinions, and perhaps looking for knowledgeable contacts in the specific area of Eastern Panhandle/I-81 Corridor, wouldn't it make sense for there to be a forum for the specific region? The other sub-forums seem to all cover mostly the western or central part of the State, but perhaps most of the "action" is in the eastern part of the State, specifically in the Eastern Panhandle.

Submitted for your consideration,
I agree, I felt for a very long time that Berkeley and Jefferson Counties should have their own sub-forum. When you look at the WV forum, they are sometimes dominated by threads pertaining to this area. So, not only would having a sub forum benefit those interested in this area, but it would open up WV thread for more of the threads pertaining to the entire state. -mmccul

Old 05-30-2015, 04:32 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
1 81 is only thru Berkeley Co & only 20 miles long! Check any Post for Martinsburg &/or Charles Town They usually cover Berkeley & Jefferson Co

Old 05-30-2015, 09:24 PM

Maybe not specifically the I-81 Corridor, though you might call that the "main drag" through the region. How about "Eastern Panhandle" or "Eastern West Virginia"? Think of it as Eastern Panhandle, or all of West Virginia east of, say, Seneca Rocks, leaving Morgantown to have its own sub-forum, which it already has.

The way I understand it, the center of the state is pretty unpopulated, with most of the population near the western or eastern parts. And I do see a lot of discussion on the subject of business, new construction, development and that sort of thing, covering pretty much the I-81 Corridor and everything within maybe 20 miles or so to the sides of that.

I have to say that I have heard that it's kind of a sore spot in State Politics, that the Eastern Panhandle thinks it's a whole different state, sorry if I touched that sore spot.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:02 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,608,564 times
I agree. It would be nice to have our retail threads in a smaller, easier to navigate space.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:10 AM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
New sub forums are not created because somebody posts a thread in a state forum. The forum owner (Administrator) makes that decision, generally based on thread activity in the parent forum and suggestions posted in the threads in the About the Forum area that he starts when he is considering adding new sub forums. He will probably never see this thread.

One reason information is harder to find in the WV forum is that this forum has a VAST number of threads started with zero replies when compared to most other forums.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
New sub forums are not created because somebody posts a thread in a state forum. The forum owner (Administrator) makes that decision, generally based on thread activity in the parent forum and suggestions posted in the threads in the About the Forum area that he starts when he is considering adding new sub forums. He will probably never see this thread.

One reason information is harder to find in the WV forum is that this forum has a VAST number of threads started with zero replies when compared to most other forums.
Thank you very much! Is there a FAQ section about this that you could point us to? And is there a particular format that might make this more appealing to the Administrator? For example, like an RFC for the internet engineering task force types? If anyone supports this notion, should we all go to the "about the forum" area and each of us all state our case?

Thanks again,

Old 05-31-2015, 03:02 PM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Here's one.

//www.city-data.com/forum/faq/1...ums-added.html

There is more. I'll eventually find the threads in About The Forum and post some links.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There is more. I'll eventually find the threads in About The Forum and post some links.
Thanks again, I found that, and I think I have also found the right place to ask about this issue.

I also brought up the point, based on your remark, that there might have been a threshold already reached, if the signal hadn't been drowned out in all of the noise of zero-response new threads. I guess we'll see what happens.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:27 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can also see the Area covers a LOT Not just Jefferson & Berkeley Counties! So calling it that Not going to help much!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia