Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 04:12 PM

363 posts, read 1,120,447 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be visiting WV in mid September. We're from Northern CA and neither of us have to WV before. We'll be flying in to National Airport, visiting relatives in Arlington for a couple days, then making a counter-clockwise loop in a rental car. The first half of the week long car trip will be thru WV, second half in VA.

I'm a history buff, so I want to visit Harpers Ferry, before continuing west and south thru WV. We plan to spend two nights in WV. I assume one of those will be in Charleston. Does Charleston have a lively downtown with restaurants/bars and live music? I've requested a Visitor's Guide from the WV website, but that probably won't provide the "insider" info that the locals can provide. So, what attractions do you Mountaineers describe as "must-sees" when relatives pop in for a short visit? I like history, the wife, not as much as me. I have to limit the historic aspects of our trips soas not to overwhelm her. But we both enjoy live music and old downtowns, outdoor activities like ziplines, mountain drives, etc. We're in our late 50's.

Thanks for your time and responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 04:52 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
A lot of people seem to like the Cass Scenic Railroad I have never been there personally but have family members that have. It would fit in with your overall route I believe. Also Dolly Sods is popular for a scenic drive and there is hiking of course for those that are into that. Wheeling has a lot of history and old buildings, churches, etc. but it would be out of your way.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 07-10-2015 at 05:00 PM..

Old 07-10-2015, 07:18 PM

198 posts, read 413,489 times
In Charleston at the Cultural Center which is on the Capitol grounds, there is a wonderful exhibit on the history of WV at the WV State Museum. It was redone just a handful of years ago and it is really good. They have created scenes that you walk through that depict the life of a West Virginian throughout the years since the beginning of statehood. It takes a couple of hours to walk through but is very enjoyable even if you are not a huge history buff. Operating hours are Tuesday through Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m (closed Sunday and Monday) and admission is free. I think you and your wife would both enjoy it.

When you are finished, you can walk around the Capitol grounds which are really beautiful. The capitol complex is right across the street from the Kanawha Riverfront and close to the downtown area. Not sure what dates you will be traveling, but will tell you that every Friday evening from Memorial Day through Labor Day, they have "live music on the levee" on the riverfront in Charleston. Directly across from the levee is a newly remodeled hotel --- Four Points Sheraton --- which would be a nice place to stay while you are in Charleston.

The other suggestion of Cass Scenic railroad is a good one but I will tell you that if you only have two days it may not be something you want to do simply because it is a pretty long excursion and will take the bulk of one of the days to do it.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:31 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times
I would certainly visit Harpers Ferry, then follow this route https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m..._w&usp=sharing

The route covers some very beautiful territory, some of the state's more historic areas, and some great recreation. The fall colors along that route are vibrant! The suggested route allows you the opportunity to go through the rugged terrain of the Eastern Panhandle, where you would pass by breath taking Seneca Rocks Seneca Rocks Mountain Guides (which is a quick hike to the top if you wish to do). Smoke Hole Caverns, and then on to Elkins (which is a cool little town with some hip character). From there you could continue south along US 219 to the Snowshoe/Cass area! You could check out Cass Railroad there Cass Scenic Railroad State Park or grab some great grub at Snowshoe Mountain. Snowshoe Mountain | Ski Resort in West Virginia Near DC Then the route would take you along the scenic highway towards Richwood then on to Summersville. That is approximately a days worth or more. Depending on how far you want to go in a day and how much you'd like to do, you get get a hotel in Elkins or Summersville (not too many quick options between, but planning ahead you could land a great place like Snowshoe or a renovated house/room at Cass.)

From Summersville I'd recommend going south to the New River Gorge which is a National Park (technically recreation area). I'd Highly Recommend hiking the Endless Wall Trail (which was recently ranked the #1 trail in a National Park in the US. Best National Park Hike Winners: 2015 10Best Readers' Choice Travel Awards You can check out the focal point of the area too the New river Gorge Bridge which is one of the largest arch bridges in the world and you can actually take tours underneath the bridge on the cat walks (800 ft above the river). New River Gorge Bridge - New River Gorge National River (U.S. National Park Service)
If you really want to spend more time there (because it honestly is an awesome area) check out https://www.adventuresonthegorge.com/ which is an Adventure Resort which features some of the countries best white water rafting, zip ling, and so much more! In fact, I believe they have over 100 different adventure types!!!

From there you can take the scenic US 60 "Midland Trail" to Charleston. With Stops at Hawks Nest and Kanawha Falls.

In Charleston, there is plenty to enjoy including the State Capitol Complex and Culture Center as mentioned above. Capitol Street in downtown features some great restaurants. I'd recommend Pie's and Pints as the local favorite. You could also check out the Clay Center Clay Center - about

From there, you are on your own (unless of course you request more!)

Hope this was helpful, this was just an idea

Old 07-11-2015, 04:26 AM

16,672 posts, read 15,668,595 times
For dinner, I'd recommend going to Capitol St. Pies & Pints has local crafted pizza that is really good, paired with 20 taps of craft beer, much of which is WV brewed. Next door is Adelphia grill, also local, which is decorated with pictures of old Charleston area scenes.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:31 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
2 days isn't long to spend in West Virginia. It would be really hard to see a representative sample of our very diverse state in that length of time. You are mentioning that the latter half of your trip would be through Virginia, so that has to be taken into consideration.

Our little state really has 6 distinct regions, each quite different than the others. You didn't mention the sorts of things you want to see... cultural, historic, government, educational, etc. so from my perspective it would be hard to gauge your needs. You mention going counter clockwise from DC, so I will give a somewhat different take than other suggestions here. Harpers Ferry is one of the most historic places to see here, no doubt about that, but that is basically in the fringes of both Virginia and Maryland near the Shenandoah River Valley. That portion could be seen on the back leg of your trip from Virginia on your way back to DC.

We all have our own opinions as to what parts of our state are the most beautiful and so forth. I'll give you mine. I believe I would get to I-70 West from the DC area and head to I-68 at Hancock, Maryland. From there I would go west on I-68 across the beautiful Alleghenies stopping at Deep Creek, Maryland on the way before getting of at the Coopers Rock Exit on I-68 in West Virginia. Take the short side trip from the Interstate to view the overlook, which in contrast to overlooks that have a bridge as a primary feature will give you an unbridled view of spectacular scenery and the Cheat River Canyon below. I am not going to suggest that you spend any time in any of our cities when your stay is so brief. The scenery is just too beautiful with only 2 days here to spend your time in museums and downtown areas which likely won't be any more impressive than what you are used to seeing in California. I suggest you spend your time enjoying our wild and wonderful.

From Coopers Rock, drive on over to I-79 and head south. After about 50 miles you will come to the Corridor H Highway. Go east on that until you get to Elkins. That is a good place to stop for lunch. In my opinion, from there you are in proximity to the most beautiful parts of our state in terms of scenery. Alternatively, you can take back roads from Deep Creek through Tucker County and get to the same region near Elkins, and the scenery there is awesome but that would eat up a lot of your time. You're going to need your map from there because places I would suggest you visit are sort of scattered around. I would work in Blackwater Falls, Canaan Valley, and Seneca Rocks then retreat back to Elkins and call it a day.

The next day I would visit the Greenbank Telescope complex and then head to Snowshoe Resort for lunch. The view from there is incredible in the High Alleghenies. You can really mix and match these sights to suit your own taste. There is no specific reason to follow any suggested route. That whole region is beautiful and rustic, and the back roads are full of awesome views.

I would spend the afternoon getting to the Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine by the most expedient route. Unless you are into whitewater rafting, personally I do not recommend the US 19 bypass to do so because you would pass through some of the East Coasts most notorious speed traps, and I'd hate to see your trip marred for going 1 mph over the limit on a road that looks like it is in the middle of nowhere but somehow ended up within a city limit. If you can get to US 19 via US 60 from the East, heading south on US 19 will once again put you in the midst of beautiful mountains to Beckley, which is a good place to spend your second night. The locals there will recommend you visit Tamarack, and that is okay for a brief stop if you are into arts and crafts. From there, the next day, it is a short jaunt to Bluefield which straddles both Virginia and West Virginia.

I would then head into Virginia via I-81 and get to the nearest entrance to the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway system. Those roads will take you along the beautiful Blue Ridge, with spectacular views of the Shenandoah River Valley and the Alleghenies on the other side of that valley. This is some is the most beautiful and fertile farmland in the world, and you can take just about any exit along the way and be delighted with what you will find and see. Personally, I would stick to those roads and take side trips both Virginia days, stopping at what you feel is the most convenient place along the way for the night.

The 4th. day, I would suggest seeing Harpers Ferry after your final leg through the Shenandoah in Virginia, then ending up at the northern part of the Shenandoah in Shepherdstown, West Virginia where there is a really quaint historic town to visit, and I would recommend dinner at the Bavarian Inn there for outstanding German food. You could choose to stay there for the 4th. night, or simply take the short drive back to DC from there.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 07-12-2015 at 11:44 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Heaven WV girl View Post
In Charleston at the Cultural Center which is on the Capitol grounds, there is a wonderful exhibit on the history of WV at the WV State Museum. It was redone just a handful of years ago and it is really good. They have created scenes that you walk through that depict the life of a West Virginian throughout the years since the beginning of statehood. It takes a couple of hours to walk through but is very enjoyable even if you are not a huge history buff. Operating hours are Tuesday through Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m (closed Sunday and Monday) and admission is free. I think you and your wife would both enjoy it.

When you are finished, you can walk around the Capitol grounds which are really beautiful. The capitol complex is right across the street from the Kanawha Riverfront and close to the downtown area. Not sure what dates you will be traveling, but will tell you that every Friday evening from Memorial Day through Labor Day, they have "live music on the levee" on the riverfront in Charleston. Directly across from the levee is a newly remodeled hotel --- Four Points Sheraton --- which would be a nice place to stay while you are in Charleston.

The other suggestion of Cass Scenic railroad is a good one but I will tell you that if you only have two days it may not be something you want to do simply because it is a pretty long excursion and will take the bulk of one of the days to do it.
This is great advice AlmostHeavenWV girl. We'll be travelling there after Labor Day, so the Friday evening live music events will not be an option. But the riverfront, museum and Capitol grounds sounds right up our alley. Agree about the scenic RR too. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
A lot of people seem to like the Cass Scenic Railroad I have never been there personally but have family members that have. It would fit in with your overall route I believe. Also Dolly Sods is popular for a scenic drive and there is hiking of course for those that are into that. Wheeling has a lot of history and old buildings, churches, etc. but it would be out of your way.
Thanks for this Wanderlust. Someone else weighed in about the scenic RR. Sounds like the trip might be a little too lengthy for our short two day visit. Scenic drives are great though. But what is "Dolly Sods"?

Old 07-13-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
2 days isn't long to spend in West Virginia. It would be really hard to see a representative sample of our very diverse state in that length of time. You are mentioning that the latter half of your trip would be through Virginia, so that has to be taken into consideration.

Our little state really has 6 distinct regions, each quite different than the others. You didn't mention the sorts of things you want to see... cultural, historic, government, educational, etc. so from my perspective it would be hard to gauge your needs. You mention going counter clockwise from DC, so I will give a somewhat different take than other suggestions here. Harpers Ferry is one of the most historic places to see here, no doubt about that, but that is basically in the fringes of both Virginia and Maryland near the Shenandoah River Valley. That portion could be seen on the back leg of your trip from Virginia on your way back to DC.

We all have our own opinions as to what parts of our state are the most beautiful and so forth. I'll give you mine. I believe I would get to I-70 West from the DC area and head to I-68 at Hancock, Maryland. From there I would go west on I-68 across the beautiful Alleghenies stopping at Deep Creek, Maryland on the way before getting of at the Coopers Rock Exit on I-68 in West Virginia. Take the short side trip from the Interstate to view the overlook, which in contrast to overlooks that have a bridge as a primary feature will give you an unbridled view of spectacular scenery and the Cheat River Canyon below. I am not going to suggest that you spend any time in any of our cities when your stay is so brief. The scenery is just too beautiful with only 2 days here to spend your time in museums and downtown areas which likely won't be any more impressive than what you are used to seeing in California. I suggest you spend your time enjoying our wild and wonderful.

From Coopers Rock, drive on over to I-79 and head south. After about 50 miles you will come to the Corridor H Highway. Go east on that until you get to Elkins. That is a good place to stop for lunch. In my opinion, from there you are in proximity to the most beautiful parts of our state in terms of scenery. Alternatively, you can take back roads from Deep Creek through Tucker County and get to the same region near Elkins, and the scenery there is awesome but that would eat up a lot of your time. You're going to need your map from there because places I would suggest you visit are sort of scattered around. I would work in Blackwater Falls, Canaan Valley, and Seneca Rocks then retreat back to Elkins and call it a day.

The next day I would visit the Greenbank Telescope complex and then head to Snowshoe Resort for lunch. The view from there is incredible in the High Alleghenies. You can really mix and match these sights to suit your own taste. There is no specific reason to follow any suggested route. That whole region is beautiful and rustic, and the back roads are full of awesome views.

I would spend the afternoon getting to the Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine by the most expedient route. Unless you are into whitewater rafting, personally I do not recommend the US 19 bypass to do so because you would pass through some of the East Coasts most notorious speed traps, and I'd hate to see your trip marred for going 1 mph over the limit on a road that looks like it is in the middle of nowhere but somehow ended up within a city limit. If you can get to US 19 via US 60 from the East, heading south on US 19 will once again put you in the midst of beautiful mountains to Beckley, which is a good place to spend your second night. The locals there will recommend you visit Tamarack, and that is okay for a brief stop if you are into arts and crafts. From there, the next day, it is a short jaunt to Bluefield which straddles both Virginia and West Virginia.

I would then head into Virginia via I-81 and get to the nearest entrance to the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway system. Those roads will take you along the beautiful Blue Ridge, with spectacular views of the Shenandoah River Valley and the Alleghenies on the other side of that valley. This is some is the most beautiful and fertile farmland in the world, and you can take just about any exit along the way and be delighted with what you will find and see. Personally, I would stick to those roads and take side trips both Virginia days, stopping at what you feel is the most convenient place along the way for the night.

The 4th. day, I would suggest seeing Harpers Ferry after your final leg through the Shenandoah in Virginia, then ending up at the northern part of the Shenandoah in Shepherdstown, West Virginia where there is a really quaint historic town to visit, and I would recommend dinner at the Bavarian Inn there for outstanding German food. You could choose to stay there for the 4th. night, or simply take the short drive back to DC from there.
Wow CT Mountaineer-great post and recommendations. Is there suitable lodging in Elkins? We don't need a Hyatt, but a Best Western would be good. The coal mine tour would be terrific. Thanks again for the very thorough post!

Old 07-13-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
For dinner, I'd recommend going to Capitol St. Pies & Pints has local crafted pizza that is really good, paired with 20 taps of craft beer, much of which is WV brewed. Next door is Adelphia grill, also local, which is decorated with pictures of old Charleston area scenes.
Craft beer recommendations are always appreciated. We happen to do some home brewing ourselves and live quite near the Sierra Nevada Brewery in northern CA. Thanks Mensaguy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia