Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2006, 09:03 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,361,149 times

Advertisements

Hello, we will be moving to the panhandle region, looking at Falling Waters, Hedgesville area, I know we want to stay out of the Martinsburg school district. I was wondering if anyone had any information how the personal taxes are done. We live in MD now and we just sumit the MD form like the federal and it goes by what we make, I was wondering if WV is similar or more involved. Any info will be apprecaited. Thanks

Janet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 04:07 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,369,225 times
WV is the same process.
Keep in mind that unlike Md, WV does not have a piggyback tax, so it is just the standard state tax form.

The difference on taxation is the personal property tax on your cars, tractors, dogs, etc. etc. etc. In overall taxation WV ranks #8 in the nation.
Income tax is tiered and can reach 6.5% if your taxable income is over 60K.

There is 6% tax across the board for everything. Food, clothing, all.

The largest difference between MD and WV in taxation is what you get.
Md has roads, infrastructure, etc.. WV has none of the above and most important zoning.

So even if you buy a nice 400K home in Falling Waters your neighbor could stick a mobile home, giant dish, or goats right beside your home. Make sure that if you purchase that your division has tight and in bold black letters, strict codes.

Also, you will have public water. Mmmmm! Keep in mind it is piped directly from the Potomac and yet there are no regulated treatment facilities, outside of Martinsburg city limits.

On your home purchase, make sure that you have one of your Maryland certified inpectors look at the home closely. Again, with no zoning, there is zero homeowners protection and very limited reg's on who can be and who cannot be contractors.

Good luck on your move to Berkeley. Seriously, Good Luck.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:18 PM

I know they changed the food tax to 5% and they are trying to do away with it all together. Also I know we will be in a subdivision but not sure on public water or well. There are a couple developments that have larger lots that are well and septic.

As far as Maryland is going, it has gotten way too expensive and that is the reason we are looking to go out further. We already have a weekend place in Paw Paw and have found people in Wv are very nice and helpful, unlike here were we live.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
I know they changed the food tax to 5% and they are trying to do away with it all together. Also I know we will be in a subdivision but not sure on public water or well. There are a couple developments that have larger lots that are well and septic.

As far as Maryland is going, it has gotten way too expensive and that is the reason we are looking to go out further. We already have a weekend place in Paw Paw and have found people in Wv are very nice and helpful, unlike here were we live.
Paw Paw is a nice small area. Was there during the floods in 85.
Keep in mind that Morgan County and Paw Paw is much different than Berkeley County. Much of Berkeley has been overran by Washington DC and you may be moving into from what you are trying to escape.
Growing up Martinsburg and the area was much like Norman Rockwell now it is more like Rob Zombie with a mix of Marlyn Manson.

Was up there last month and did notice that Jefferson County, which used to be rather dicey, has really improved around the Shepherstown area.

At least in Falling Waters you are right next door to Maryland. Are you down in Mont or PG county?

Old 10-30-2006, 06:28 AM

Actually, we are from AA county in Pasadena between Baltimore and Annapolis. Housing has gotten way out of hand, bottom line we couldn't even afford to buy our own house. Even though the property has went up in WV they are still a lot more affordable than here and we can get a bigger house for less than what we are selling ours for.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
Actually, we are from AA county in Pasadena between Baltimore and Annapolis. Housing has gotten way out of hand, bottom line we couldn't even afford to buy our own house. Even though the property has went up in WV they are still a lot more affordable than here and we can get a bigger house for less than what we are selling ours for.
Good Luck, and be careful. Be very careful.
Read NOVA's post. He/She is not exaggerating

Wish you the best

Old 11-11-2006, 01:19 PM

74 posts, read 469,422 times
Janipoo, you and I are in the same boat. Im from Pasadena/Glen Burnie...currently live in Baltimore. We're moving to Fairmont so we can finally get ahead of the game. pricings in MD are so incredibly high that with my husband and I both working 6 days a week, we still feel like we're trying to just keep up.
The nice thing is w/the $$ boom in MD, selling our house in MD will gain enough profit to pay off a house in WV, so we'll finally be ahead!

I sympathize with you about AA county. Boy do I!

Old 11-17-2006, 05:42 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,048,744 times
I too am interested in WV(and OH) they have lots of cheap houses for $50k! The tax is a concern and might make me choose OH over WV. Who here has been to WV? Know of any quiet towns or small cities with nice $50k houses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia