Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 03:43 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
That question has been asked before: Mobley, Wetzel County, WV
Not Pine Grove????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 05:44 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
Since the gas drillers moved in, all the action along Fishing Creek has shifted to Mobley.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Pine Grove is nice, but my vote goes to Reader.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:45 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Surprised to hear Huntington has a Southern feel since its on the Ohio border.

From visiting WV......I think Charleston is a nice pleasant city that has everything you need in a city but not so much traffic or crime and isn't too dense the way Baltimore, Washington DC and Pittsburgh are too dense.

Buckhannon is a very quaint, historic town with a picturesque Main Street that comes right out of a CMT video with a lot of charm.

The Fairmont area was pretty too. The Poky Dot Diner there was a very cool place I stumbled across and it was actually featured on the Food Network.

Charles Town seems just like an extension of DC suburbia.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:46 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I feel that Huntington is the nicest place in WV to live. Huntington has more of a southern feel to it and this comes across in the way that people interact with you as well. People are generally very friendly and will smile and say hello and even have full conversations with you if given the time, even if they don't have a clue who you are. You still have people who aren't so friendly just as you do everywhere, but they are definately in the minority here.

Huntington offers plenty do do as well. From the various theater and art offerings to local festivals, there is almost alway something going on. The Huntington Museum of Art is located here and they offer a nice permanent collection along with several rotating and travel exhibits as well. The Keith Albee performing arts center is a 1928 Thomas Lamb designed theater that is a rare jewel for it's beauty and history. The Keith Albee also hosts the Marshall Artist series, the Huntington Symphony Orchestra, the Appalachian Film Festival and several other national shows such as Brian Regan, Taylor Swift, and many others. The downtown area is currently undergoing a lot of revitalization thanks in part to Pullman Square, a $60 million lifestyle center that offers restaurants, retail, a movie theater, a comedy club and a bank. The development there has spurred the redevelopment of many other downtown buildings and has brought the city to life again. In addition to Pullman, the Huntington mall is also here and this is the largest shopping mall in the state. The parks system here is also top notch with Ritter Park being the nicest of the local parks.

Huntington is also home to Marshall University and all that having a large, division 1 university offers. MU brings lots of theater, arts and other performances along with offering a good selection of athletics to watch. The town and the university were also recently featured in the movie "We Are Marshall" if you want to get and idea about the area.

With all of the activities and the sense of community that Huntington offers, I truly feel that it is the nicest place to live in WV.

Sounds nice! How bad has W.V been hit by this "economic downturn" AKA depression? It's horrid in Maine and most of New England!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:05 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
West Virginia doesn't experience the typical highs so we don't see the drastic lows either. We just kind of chug along. There has actual been some economic growth here. The biggest area that has been effected by the downturn, along with other factors, is the coal field areas.

Plus, our winters aren't nearly as harsh as those in Maine!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,033 times
Quote:
West Virginia doesn't experience the typical highs so we don't see the drastic lows either. We just kind of chug along. There has actual been some economic growth here. The biggest area that has been effected by the downturn, along with other factors, is the coal field areas.

I have two more years in Maine. I may see what West Virginia is about one day! I drove through West Virginia about 20 years ago, I remember the mountains. Tonight, in Northern Maine, it is 16 degrees and snowing.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,520 times
Quote:

Yeah the weather is relatively mild here. To add to what tbailey1138 said, an example would be WV's real-estate market. Housing was never really expensive here so when the bubble burst and most of the country lost value on their homes, WV's prices stayed about the same. Although the prices did drop, it wasn't nearly what it was around the rest of the country.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:15 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I have two more years in Maine. I may see what West Virginia is about one day! I drove through West Virginia about 20 years ago, I remember the mountains. Tonight, in Northern Maine, it is 16 degrees and snowing.
Wow... northern Maine... the snow doesn't melt there until May. It's even colder than Upstate New York.
We aren't in the Sun Belt here in West Virginia, and we do have a winter but it is MUCH milder than what you're used to experiencing. Here in Morgantown we don't have any snow on the ground although nearby in the mountains they do have it.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:25 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
It was in the 50s and sunny here today. No real snow for weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia