Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:56 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times

Advertisements

When you were traveling to Blackwater with your honey, in the 70's...did you ever stop at "Cool Springs? That old watering home is still there will the same wonderful people playing host to America...bottom of Laurel Mountain on the right...still serve a foot-long hot dog...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 11:01 AM

169 posts, read 592,576 times
DK, I can't say as the name rings a bell off the top of my head but, if it was there back in the 70's... you can bet we hit it. If it hasn't changed at all, I'll let you know when I get back there & check it out.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Granny from Parkersburg, while she was living upstate NY in chatham, grew strawberries, blackberries and raspberries alongside the house.
She made a deal by making a select sized net around them, allowing the baby birds to nosh, but keeping out the larger critters who tended to wipe everything out before it had the chance to ripen.
A fair compromise with wildlife, I think. Gotta share.

DK- did you know your beans would be very welcome by orgs for heirloom seeds? It's a great way to help the species along by putting it in the hands of many. It's got a side benefit of paying for itself, through trade at very least, or profit at most.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 AM

There was a place we use to go to all the time where folks would pull their cars right into the clear water creek and wash their cars all the time. It was pretty famous back then but I just can't pull the name out of my head?

Old 02-05-2008, 11:10 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
We tried to plant a little garden in Paw Paw and the as soon as the plants were taking off and looked so healthy, the next time we went up and the deers had eaten them right down to a twig. They even eat my flowers the same way.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:12 AM

I think I would be gettin' me a good deer rifle!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
When you were traveling to Blackwater with your honey, in the 70's...did you ever stop at "Cool Springs? That old watering home is still there will the same wonderful people playing host to America...bottom of Laurel Mountain on the right...still serve a foot-long hot dog...
Is that the place DK near or in Aurora?

Aurora, West Virginia - Cool Springs - Tourist Stop

Old 02-05-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
We tried to plant a little garden in Paw Paw and the as soon as the plants were taking off and looked so healthy, the next time we went up and the deers had eaten them right down to a twig. They even eat my flowers the same way.
FREE LUNCH! YAY! lol
I heard some had success scaring them off by scent using blood meal and peeing on nearby trees (presuming WV deer have a healthy fear of humans).

cold frames and greenhouses keep that down to a dull roar. Not sure what fence is deer proof- I saw one jump over an 8ft chain link.
smaller gardens I saw some using an electrified fence- I don't know who that hurts more.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:36 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
FREE LUNCH! YAY! lol
I heard some had success scaring them off by scent using blood meal and peeing on nearby trees (presuming WV deer have a healthy fear of humans).

cold frames and greenhouses keep that down to a dull roar. Not sure what fence is deer proof- I saw one jump over an 8ft chain link.
smaller gardens I saw some using an electrified fence- I don't know who that hurts more.
I put some hair hair on it. I guess I should explain, I cut hair (only family now) but I when I was in a shop we had people come in to collect the hair off the floor to spread on their crops to keep the deers away.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
I put some hair hair on it. I guess I should explain, I cut hair (only family now) but I when I was in a shop we had people come in to collect the hair off the floor to spread on their crops to keep the deers away.
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/permac.../msg01494.html
coyote pee might work, but I can't see them standing still for me when I hold the urinalysis cup hahahahaa
I think outdoor dogs who don't have a taste for root veggies might be a better plan as deterents go. feed them by the garden, they'll defend their dinner dish.

strategic invitations to hunters that meet up with harvest schedules?
planting corn in a pasture you mean to distract them with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia