Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:17 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times

Advertisements

2nd time here is Jail Time...

I was in Lousiana and read the court news in the local New Orleans paper...One guy was on his 21st DUI incident...another was on his 18th...had to laugh...

This is a real money maker for WV. It's not going away...Yes...you said it...it's not worth it. Thinking about WV football and the tailgating...)another issue...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 10:35 AM

169 posts, read 592,576 times
Well, I met a fella in a bar on New Year's Eve (I had a designated driver) who was talking about he just got out of prison after serving 5 years on his third DUI. He said his parole prohibits him from being anywhere where there is alcohol (including convienent stores) and I am listening to this man & wondering... "What's wrong with this picture"?

I guess some folks just don't get it?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:45 AM

Some of our progressive courts are begining to treat this condition as an addiction...as it should be.
In the best interest of the party's involved (the individual and the community)...jail is not the answer...therapy and re-habilitation is...

Old 01-30-2008, 10:56 AM

I would have to agree with you David. Jail really teaches them nothing and only takes them off the road for a time. You need to teach and show people a better way, not just lock them up and throw away the key. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying they should ignore the problem and not punish folks, I just think there's a better way is all.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:58 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Some of our progressive courts are begining to treat this condition as an addiction...as it should be.
In the best interest of the party's involved (the individual and the community)...jail is not the answer...therapy and re-habilitation is...
I kind of believe in making them visit the cars that have been hit by a drunk driver or visiting a morgue to see what happens and also listening to families that have been affected by drunk drivers including the drunk drivers themselves. Especially, for the young offenders. If that isn't a wake up call I don't know what would be.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:05 AM

74 posts, read 369,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rebel View Post
OK, so I pay $30 for 4 years, don't need to re-test but have to take the eye test and read a pamphlet. Vehicle inspection is $12 annually and my OEM windows will pass inspection. Do I have all this correct? I have the dark limo windows that you can't see into the vehicle but, these are OEM and not really tinted with film.
Actually, the driver's license is good for 5 years now. It will expire when your age ends in 0 or 5. This makes it easier to keep track of when it expires.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:12 AM

On a persons birthday...I stand corrected...one brownie point, Marie.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemarie View Post
Actually, the driver's license is good for 5 years now. It will expire when your age ends in 0 or 5. This makes it easier to keep track of when it expires.
Let me see if I understand this correctly? I am currently 52 so, my new WVDL will expire when I'm 55 then? That means I am paying for a license that is only good for 2 1/2 years?

Old 01-30-2008, 11:56 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
I kind of believe in making them visit the cars that have been hit by a drunk driver or visiting a morgue to see what happens and also listening to families that have been affected by drunk drivers including the drunk drivers themselves. Especially, for the young offenders. If that isn't a wake up call I don't know what would be.
In NY, the laws are strict, and are also supported by private groups MADD= mothers against drunk drivers, and SADD= students against drunk driving. The fire dept saves the wreckage, displayed on a lawn annually coinciding with prom season. If you know you're going to drink, have a plan ahead of time how you're getting home. Whats so hard?

I'm glad they got tough. I went to too many funerals as a teenager. As a child my entire family was nearly destroyed. If I live a million years I'll never forget the image of my mother with shards of glass in her face slumped over the steering wheel. It took 9 months of crude plastic surgery and she's permanently blind in one eye. The whole ordeal bankrupted us, which landed me and my sis in foster homes. My little sis was 3, and by the time she was 18 exhibited the onset of arthritis in the same injured areas. Had it not been a telephone pole stopping the spin, we would have kept going into a gas pump. Anyone believe in sympathy for drunk drivers now?

The reason why the governments only response can be to incarcerate/revoke license/high fines is because behavioral problems have such vague boundaries and measured improvements aren't solid. Addicts are notorious liars, invested in protected their addiction. Psychology is a 'soft' science. Bottom line is if someone can't handle their freedom, they need it rescinded.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:59 AM

very true...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia