U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 10:07 AM

169 posts, read 564,597 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if the HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlamps (blue) are legal in West Virginia or will I have to re-modify my car? I have them as headlamps and driving lamps as well. I also have limo tint on my windows. How will that fly?

Thanks in advance, LSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,347,601 times
I see those lamps on cars..some things like large wide wheels on Pick-up trucks will not pass inspection and are interchanged during that inspection time...Tinted windows depend on how dark the glass is tinted...

Old 01-30-2008, 11:03 AM

169 posts, read 564,597 times
Well, I drive a 2005 PT Cruiser that has been completely customized and the HID lights are not factory. I have heard that in some states if the lights are not OEM, they are illegal on the vehicle.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:25 AM

33 posts, read 85,711 times
I don' think they are illegal here, not yet. I hate those blinding damn things! They should be outlawed, not very respectful to oncoming drivers especially on our winding two lane roads. If your tint is too dark, especially if on the windshield or back glass, you will get pulled over, better have your seatbelt on for this. For now they charge you court costs for every individual charge or offence.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:53 AM

246 posts, read 819,461 times
They are the same as BMW and Audi ain't they? If so they are'nt illegal.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:00 AM

1,502 posts, read 6,953,961 times
Hey Lone Star, it's been awhile since you been around.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:43 PM

Owe you a point for that 'faux pas...janipoo.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 AM

3,105 posts, read 6,860,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampydog View Post
I don' think they are illegal here, not yet. I hate those blinding damn things! They should be outlawed, not very respectful to oncoming drivers especially on our winding two lane roads. .
I agree. They are blinding.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:27 AM

3,105 posts, read 6,860,614 times
Window tint - according to these sites the WV law says 35%
Welcome to TintLaws.com
Autowindowtinting

As to Audi and BMW HID headlights - they don't give off that blinding blue glare.

Guess this explains why:

Quote:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is targeting high-intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits for enforcement actions. [SIZE=2][COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]NHTSA[/color][/color][/SIZE] has concluded that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with the federal lighting standard, Federal Motor [SIZE=2][COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Vehicle [COLOR=blue! important]Safety[/color][/color][/color][/SIZE] Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. The noncompliant kits frequently include a HID bulb, a ballast, an igniter, a relay and wiring harness adapters. The NHTSA believes this equipment presents a safety risk to the public since the kits can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists. In one investigation, the NHTSA found that an HID conversion headlamp exceeded the maximum allowable candlepower by over 800%. High Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlights
Wonder how/if new and developing laws concerning lightbulbs will affect the HID?

Old 06-24-2009, 05:49 AM

I Can't wait...the new flourencent bulbs will need a HazMat team to clean up the highways from the 'fender benders...

Glare? I doubt it...at 40 watts, we will go faster by walking...but that might be the idea..

Wonder what one of those Amish Buggies would run...do they have a used car lot for that item anywhere Grantsville? 3rd and 4th world is our way of the future..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia