Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 12:48 AM

3 posts, read 9,604 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are relocating to the Parkersburg area in the coming year, and I have many many questions many of which have been answered by searching the past threads - This one however...

Where do the local chemical companies recruit from? Are there positions possible for someone without a MS or a PhD in the field of chemistry?

As background:
I nearly have a BS in biochemistry as well as a completed BA in the humanities - I did a year of medical school not too long ago but it wasn't for me. I have considerable teaching and tutoring experience and am trying to decide how best to use the time before I move to be employable in the Pkburg area. I've considered working towards a teaching certificate/HS sciences and have considered doing prereqs for a Physician's Assistant Program in Marietta - I'm very not the type to do pharmaceutical sales btw.

Just weighing whether it would be to my advantage to finish up my biochem degree, or whether I'd need at least a MS or more to be employable by those companies in some form or another -

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 09:34 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
I think you are looking at the wrong town...give Morgantown a look and Mylan Pharmaceuticals...they are a giant and still expanding. Ask them what they need.
304-285-6404 is the number. Great company and everyone plays golf at The Pines...

Old 02-03-2008, 10:45 PM

3 posts, read 9,604 times
Default Parkersburg work

Thanks, I appreciate it, but Woods/Pleasants Co. location is the non-negotiable part, I have to figure out what I'll do when we move there
I do appreciate the suggestion though -

Old 02-08-2008, 08:51 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
k1 the governor posts his state of business report monthly at the wvgov.org website and i noticed in that post are new jobs created with which companies. also another site saraheed created has a comprehensive list for newcomers- great resources, i dont think she missed a thing. good luck

Old 02-08-2008, 08:53 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
this is the thread i was referencing:
wv Moving? Important Links by saraheed87

Old 02-08-2008, 02:28 PM

95 posts, read 466,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
this is the thread i was referencing:
wv Moving? Important Links by saraheed87

Old 02-24-2008, 04:23 PM

10 posts, read 28,025 times
good luck finding a job around here there is none literally

Old 02-24-2008, 05:56 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtink View Post
good luck finding a job around here there is none literally
For the people who sit around and whine about jobs. I say this. There are plenty of jobs you just have to go find them, If you lack the initiative to go out and try to get the jobs, don't expect a great job with benefits to fall into your lap. If you have applied numerous times and still are having problems, perhaps you should look at your appearance, resume, references, training and education. You may need to alter or change the manner in which you present yourself, you may need additional credentials. I've gathered this from my many years in WV, and watching my parents do the things I've said. They have mastered the job markets, and have never had problems with employment.

Don't even try to say, "it helps to know someone..blah blah blah" It does, Its called networking, and its not illegal. Join clubs and organizations, make friends. Use it to your advantage.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:56 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
GHO: This is the old fashoned way people got jobs...In the old days...has it came full circle?... it's always worked...and an old trick or two...

found the job you want? Do this old HR lie...call HR and say. "Hey this is Joe Blotney...I've been out of town for a few days and the battery in my cell phone is dead...have you folks been trying to call me for that job selling widgits?
Write down your speil and rehearse is...put your name in their brain...tell them your name 3 times in the speil.

and another: Show up in person and tell them you are ready to go to work...the aggravation techniques work very well...about the third time you aggravate them, they give in and give you a chance.
All the HR people go to the same school...they are like Lemmings jumping over the clift...you have to change the direction of their thought processes...when this foreign material of your name and job qualifications finally register in their brains, they try to process it out at the first opportunity.
If you can get your face and your name into their brains and it takes more than one meeting...you will get past them and on to the real people who do the hiring...

A resume is a disqualification document...any good con-man/woman can fake a great resume. A one page brief qualification letter is better and more welcomed. A resume is almost a joke to me...give me a letter and the grade transcripts.

A HR dweeb is a part of the filtration process too. My favorite is the open-jawed gum chewer who exercises great power by having 500 resumes on the desk and leisurely takes every 10th or 12th one at random...this is called random selection...that HR person got their job this same way...and was conceived in the same way too...they should be regularly scattered from their roosts like chickens in the hen house. (very old Metaphor, sorry)

And very religously do that NETWORKING...that is how the VERY BEST jobs are taken.
Jobs are taken...you will have to 'TAKE your job....think about it..

Old 03-01-2008, 05:31 PM

14 posts, read 33,376 times
I used to work for Borg-Warner chemicals. My husband worked for Shell Chemical. We put in applications direct with the companies, didn't know anyone who worked there, etc.
We have been away for 11 years living in Montana (love it!). Don't really know the employment situation in the Parkersburg area at this time.
My husband lived there all of his life and I lived there for 35 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia