Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:26 AM

169 posts, read 592,758 times

Advertisements

One thing I am really looking forward to when I return home to WV is... all the covered bridges I can photograph again. These are slowly becoming a thing of the past and I absolutely love covered bridges. The new era of digital photography is amazing and I am looking forward to it. Photography has been a serious hobby of mine since I was a boy & I can't wait to get out there with camera in hand.

Here's a site to some of the covered bridges:

West Virginia Covered Bridges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:20 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rebel View Post
One thing I am really looking forward to when I return home to WV is... all the covered bridges I can photograph again. These are slowly becoming a thing of the past and I absolutely love covered bridges. The new era of digital photography is amazing and I am looking forward to it. Photography has been a serious hobby of mine since I was a boy & I can't wait to get out there with camera in hand.

Here's a site to some of the covered bridges:

West Virginia Covered Bridges
Purty pics, thanks for sharing. Why did they build them covered like that?

Old 02-05-2008, 12:25 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,380,080 times
The Dent's Run picture, is that in Mannington? I wonder if there are 2 Dent's Run. I don't remember a covered bridge there.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:35 PM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,188,218 times
The bridges are so pretty. I wonder if there are any in Nicholas County?? II am originally from WV, but spent most of my growing up years in NE OH, lots of covered bridges there. I love the sound that is made when the cars go over the bridge.

LSR, I hope you sell you house soon and can get back to WV ASAP. We are trying to do the same thing. Live in the northern VA area, but have a home in Summersville. Hubby is retired from Army and we have been many places like you, but WV has ALWAYS been home.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:24 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,238,167 times
Let's see how many of these we (and Google Maps) can put a location on... what I can't tell is if there are two or more locations in the state with the same name.

Barrackville... Just northwest of Fairmont, off Rte 250
Carrollton... Barbour County, about 10 mi SW of Phillipi
Center Point... Rte 23, about 10 mi N of Salem
Dents Run... West of Mannington
Fish Creek... Marshall County, ~10 mi south of Moundsville
Laurel Creek... Rt 41, Fayette County, NE of Beckley
Locust Creek... South of Denmar, Pocahontas County (near Patch Adams' Geshundeit Institute)
Milton... Between Charleston and Huntington
Philippi... downtown Philippi
Second Creek... Off Rte 219, about 10 mi S of Ronceverte
Simpson Creek...
Staats Mill... About 15 mi SE of Ripley
Walkersville... At the south end of Stonewall Jackson State Park
Herns Mill...

Old 02-05-2008, 03:34 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,380,080 times
Okay, I googled and found that the Dent's Run Bridge is in Westover, WV. I knew there wasn't any covered bridge on the Dent's Run in Mannington.

WEST VIRGINIA COVERED BRIDGES ( Philippi, Simpson Creek, Carrollton, Dents Run, Barrackville, Fish Creek) pictures from scenery & nature photos on webshots

Old 02-05-2008, 03:36 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,317,255 times
Simpson Creek is in Bridgeport opposite the entrance to Meadowbrook Mall.
Dent's Run is west of Rt 250 about 1 mile south of Hundred, Wetzel County, WV. ( I'm not sure of this run but a little covered bridge is located there...the road goes back to Earnshaw.
(Another Dent's Run is North of Mannington on the old Smithfield Road...the old indian trail into Doddridge and Wetzel/Tyler County.)

Last edited by David Kennedy; 02-05-2008 at 04:18 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 03:58 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,238,167 times
The only Westover I know of is across the Mon from downtown Morgantown. I can't imagine a covered bridge there.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 PM

169 posts, read 592,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
It is my understanding that covered bridges were designed that way to protect the bridge itself from weather. The cover keeps the harsh weather off the main crossing deck of the bridge thus protecting it for many years to come. Most old bridges you see that are wooden & not covered, they are all fallen down or the original decking has been replaced. I'm no bridge expert mind you, this is just my understanding from several covered bridges tours I have taken in the past.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:03 AM

967 posts, read 2,996,207 times
Originally Posted by harborlady

I heard that the bridges were covered so the horses would cross them without getting spooked by the height, or the noise of the water under them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia