U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 01:40 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,860,475 times

Advertisements

My parents just retired to Charles Town a couple of weeks ago. They moved from Georgia (they wanted to be close to me in Northern Virginia but have less congestion and more affordability, plus they needed to be near the VA hospital in Martinsburg). They are just now exploring and getting to know the area a bit.

They like a good local newspaper and I want to get them a gift subscription but probably don't need anything daily - just weekly so they know what's going on in the area, sale papers, etc. I've found online the Spirit of Jefferson and the Journal - any recommendations for either? How do they compare? (Unfortunately they both require subscription to read full text of their articles, so I can't see for myself.) Other papers to consider? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 03:00 PM

862 posts, read 958,568 times
The Spirit of Jefferson Advocate is more/less your typical small town non-daily community paper that publishes maybe one or two times a week similar to the paper in Berkeley Springs. LOCAL news & sports, community happenings, obits, classified ads, church news and the like. Considering that Charles Town had lost their local radio stations years ago ( they moved to Winchester ) The Spirit of Jefferson really is the only true local voice for Charles Town & Ranson. This paper might be your best bet.

The other papers in the area such as The Martinsburg Journal and their sister paper The Northern Virginia Daily which serves nearby Front Royal & Winchester, The Hagerstown Herald-Mail and The Winchester Star are daily papers but they are also regional newspapers. While they do cover Charles Town they also cover other towns too which aren't exactly nearby to Charles Town such as Hancock & Chambersburg ( Hagerstown's paper ) or Harrisonburg, Luray and Mount Jackson ( The Daily ) their coverage of Charles Town sometimes can be limited.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:38 PM

13,114 posts, read 34,620,761 times
The Martinsburg paper does a Jefferson County paper also. Give them a call & check into it.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:16 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,860,475 times
Thank you both! It sounds like Spirit of Jefferson is really what they'd be interested in. If I go up this weekend I may pick up some copies and check them out.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:29 PM

528 posts, read 838,539 times
Just my opinion... the Journal is generally pretty junky. And the letters to the editor are for the most part unintentionally hilarious, a sad display of stupidity and ignorance. The Journal seems only too happy to give their rantings an audience. (Not much of one, fortunately.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia