Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2006, 05:32 PM

109 posts, read 440,104 times

Advertisements

I have a question if i live in wv and file my income tax will i get the same money back that i do in illinois. Or is it a state to state basis. I am not familiar with how it works and want to move in jan. 2007.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 11:07 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygrl707 View Post
I have a question if i live in wv and file my income tax will i get the same money back that i do in illinois. Or is it a state to state basis. I am not familiar with how it works and want to move in jan. 2007.
City:
No you will not. Can add some insight since I grew up in WV and also lived in Illinois (Crystal Lake)
Illinois is a flat 3% income tax, WV is tiered. If your single expect to get sliced for 6.5%.
Certain deductions are also unavailable in WV compared to IL. You will find yourself paying almost double in State Tax in WV vs. IL. Also, you will have personal property tax on your automobile. Don't fret, with WV's low tag renewals plus personal property it will not be that much more than IL with their tag renewals alone.

Where you will benefit in WV is in home property tax if you purchase a home. WV property tax is about 80% less than the Chicagoland area.
Example:
When I lived in Martinsburg, WV (stay away from there) my property taxes were $1,100.00 per year in 1992 when I ran. Today, they would probably be about $1,800.00 if that. When I lived in Crystal Lake on a similiar style house I was jabbed at $7,200.00 per year!!!

Back to income. WV seems to withold the "average" computation on pay. Basically, I always found myself owing a few hundred or getting back a hundred or so. That I liked. Illinois was about the same.

If you looking to WV to get away from Chicago due to high costs, etc., remember WV does not offer much in regard to employment and the pay scales are rather low. I found that in Illinois if you wanted lower prices, some opportunity, little property tax etc., then you could go down to Effingham, Anna, Carbondale, etc., and find it there too.

Good Luck,

Old 11-27-2006, 05:27 PM

109 posts, read 440,104 times
Default so

as far as the earned imcome credit that i get in illinois i wont get that in wv. i am just not real great with taxes .

Old 11-27-2006, 05:33 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygrl707 View Post
as far as the earned imcome credit that i get in illinois i wont get that in wv. i am just not real great with taxes .
EITC is a federal IRS credit not a state filing credit.

Illinois has EITC that can max out at 5% of filing or about a few hundred.

West Virginia as far as I know does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia