U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:35 AM

95 posts, read 453,848 times

Advertisements

West By God

What is the history of this nickname?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 08:07 AM

4,749 posts, read 8,375,134 times
The "By God" is meant to accentuate the West part of the state name. There are those who do not know that West Virginia is in fact a state separate from Virginia. They think of it instead as being the western part of Virginia. Once you have lived here for a while you will undoubtedly travel somewhere, say you live in West Virginia and someone will respond "Oh, I have friends in Richmond (or Roanoke, etc.)" They are usually amazed to find out you don't mean western Virginia but rather there is another individual and separate state named West Virginia. So in short, "By God" is a cry from those who live here for a little more recognition from our fellow Americans that they know WV is a separate state.
Tim

Old 02-09-2008, 08:58 AM

2,429 posts, read 6,970,602 times
It's usually the same people who are surprised to learn that there is no University of West Virginia.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:31 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,811,994 times
It's steeped into our tradition as Hillbillies...
Many do not even know our state exists...thinking that it is a region of Virginia.

Our animosity with Virginia goes back to the 1760's when the poorer rabble were forced to make their survival in the mountain areas. The landed gentry of Virginia were the bastard sons and daughters of noblemen...When labor was needed for Jamestown and the tidewater, England opened her prisons for endentured servitude of the whites.
The Dutch began the slave trade to make things profitable....then England eliminated that middleman. The land became worked out with tobacco farming and the land was owned by a select few Lords...Lord Fairfax owning the entire panhandle of WV. George Washington worked for him as a surveyor and seeing the potential of the land here took hundreds of thousands of acres as payment for his government service. He later commissioned real estate agents to dispose of the land peicemeal and send him the money.
The rabble of citizenry here were always at a loss for everything that the comfortable Virginians enjoyed...The Catholics came in through Pennsvlvania because of William Penn's Quaker tolerance. The Virginians were Church of England and anyone they were waring with were subject to that violence here...French, Spanish..Dutch, ect..

When the government became more solidified and roads and schools were brought into being, western Virginia was always on the back burner...A culmination was reached in the 'Whiskey Rebellion' The farmers who gave up on Virginia moved to Kentucky and made their whiskey there (tax free).
It all really ended or began with the 'Civil War' A chance to seperate a region and make the biggest state smaller. Western Virginian's had always felt that they were taxed but not represented...In the 1850's a tremendous infrastructure was begun in Western Virginia by the state government...turnpikes and the B & O RR to Wheeling. As this was put in place the Civil War did its job and the carpet baggers took over the area. No actual government existed until the 1880's when the people demanded schools for their childern...the government for several years being a floating steamboat brothel on the river...2 years in Wheeling...2 years in Charleston...

The term is both a resentment and a proudful boast. I have always heard it as a term of sacriledge and profanity...and now that's changing...Coach Billy Stewart uses it proudly and he is a very religious man...As the football team puts the state on the map, I think it will be seen as a positive thing of note for the state...I just hope that the people in Charleston who put out motto on the border signs don't hear about this...can you imagine what they will do with this if it gets out...'Almost Heaven the Wild and Wonderful...the state that's opened for (monkey) business...the great state of West By ...heck, I've ran out of space...

Old 02-09-2008, 09:39 AM

It's steeped into our tradition as Hillbillies...
Many do not even know our state exists...thinking that it is a region of Virginia.

Our animosity with Virginia goes back to the 1760's when the poorer rabble were forced to make their survival in the mountain areas. The landed gentry of Virginia were the bastard sons and daughters of noblemen...When labor was needed for Jamestown and the tidewater, England opened her prisons for endentured servitude of the whites.
The Dutch began the slave trade to make things profitable....then England eliminated that middleman. The land became worked out with tobacco farming and the land was owned by a select few Lords...Lord Fairfax owning the entire panhandle of WV. George Washington worked for him as a surveyor and seeing the potential of the land here took hundreds of thousands of acres as payment for his government service. He later commissioned real estate agents to dispose of the land peicemeal and send him the money.
The rabble of citizenry here were always at a loss for everything that the comfortable Virginians enjoyed...The Catholics came in through Pennsvlvania because of William Penn's Quaker tolerance. The Virginians were Church of England and anyone they were waring with were subject to that violence here...French, Spanish..Dutch, ect..

When the government became more solidified and roads and schools were brought into being, western Virginia was always on the back burner...A culmination was reached in the 'Whiskey Rebellion' The farmers who gave up on Virginia moved to Kentucky and made their whiskey there (tax free).
It all really ended or began with the 'Civil War' A chance to seperate a region and make the biggest state smaller. Western Virginian's had always felt that they were taxed but not represented...In the 1850's a tremendous infrastructure was begun in Western Virginia by the state government...turnpikes and the B & O RR to Wheeling. As this was put in place the Civil War did its job and the carpet baggers took over the area. No actual government existed until the 1880's when the people demanded schools for their childern...the government for several years being a floating steamboat brothel on the river...2 years in Wheeling...2 years in Charleston...

The term is both a resentment and a proudful boast. I have always heard it as a term of sacriledge and profanity...and now that's changing...Coach Billy Stewart uses it proudly and he is a very religious man...As the football team puts the state on the map, I think it will be seen as a positive thing of note for the state...I just hope that the people in Charleston who put out motto on the border signs don't hear about this...can you imagine what they will do with this if it gets out...'Almost Heaven the Wild and Wonderful...the state that's opened for (monkey) business...the great state of West By ...heck, I've ran out of space...

Old 02-09-2008, 01:21 PM

240 posts, read 706,015 times
Default Maybe Google doesn't

But Wikipedia does.

West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
A common story told about West Virginia is the folktale about how it got the nickname "West, By God, Virginia". According to the legend, a West Virginia native who was being inducted into the US Army during the First World War (some versions make it as early as the Spanish-American War), was repeatedly asked by his induction officer, "What part of Virginia?" And the soldier, finally getting fed up with the confusion, said "Not Virginia! West Virginia! West, by God, Virginia!". This story, whether true or not, has entered American folklore, and it is not unusual to hear not only West Virginians themselves, but other Americans, refer to the state as "West, By God, Virginia", or often as "West By-God", or sometimes simply as "By-God". Many West Virginians, when travelling outside the state, or when abroad, enjoy paying homage to the legend by referring to their home state in this manner.
What did we do before Al Gore invented the internet? :)

Old 02-09-2008, 01:24 PM

11,946 posts, read 14,217,232 times
West by god virginia, according to wikkipedia..
A common story told about West Virginia is the folktale about how it got the nickname "West, By God, Virginia". According to the legend, a West Virginia native who was being inducted into the US Army during the First World War (some versions make it as early as the Spanish-American War), was repeatedly asked by his induction officer, "What part of Virginia?" And the soldier, finally getting fed up with the confusion, said "Not Virginia! West Virginia! West, by God, Virginia!".
This story, whether true or not, has entered American folklore, and it is not unusual to hear not only West Virginians themselves, but other Americans, refer to the state as "West, By God, Virginia", or often as "West By-God", or sometimes simply as "By-God". Many West Virginians, when travelling outside the state, or when abroad, enjoy paying homage to the legend by referring to their home state in this manner.

Trying to explain to friends where I was looking to move- on the western side of virginia or the eastern side of west virginia- got me lots of tilted heads. It was easier to just say wv. It got even easier when I was finding real estate I could afford plus the added bonus of not having to suffer pretentious attitudes.
SOLD!

They marked the spot where the original capital was in charleston. I came across it while I was strolling around town. I'm glad they retained the history while rebuilding the neighborhood.

Like most things in life, see what you want to see. The nation of Australia isn't a penal colony. How many in Australia and USA have geneology where their ancestry held high titles, put on the gallows over a principle? Fact is people fled europe for america. Anne Boleyn ring a bell? Implying WV is a genetic pool of criminals or suckers- that characterization hasn't any legitimacy. Not merely wrong, but completely unacceptable.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:26 PM

11,946 posts, read 14,217,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millersangel View Post
What did we do before Al Gore invented the internet?
LOL you beat me millers! It was on the bottom of the link page and didn't catch the search engine directly.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:02 PM

Hear! Hear! To all who drink the air and breathe the water of this sacred land...
The fortunate few are finding themselves, here in this joke of America...its truly a pearl of great price...this land and its people...
The stupid wanderers will never find it..travel around this spring and force yourself to go...the concentrated majesties on every curve, valley and hill...and its chisled in the faces of its people...give us a wave...we are the world.

Sarah, thank you for this wonderful thread...

Old 02-09-2008, 08:52 PM

95 posts, read 453,848 times
lol... thanks for the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia