Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:52 PM
x1x

227 posts, read 805,648 times

Advertisements

If you have room for them plant some half runners.. They climb and are so good!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 05:52 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Thanks X1- didn't know ginsing could be cultivated. goldenseal too i see!
Jani- the hay can go anywhere its sunny. that dryer vent plan- i saw a basement dryer vent led out the shady north wall outside to a cold frame with a maple log innoculated with mushrooms. That little bit of heat wound up being enough for them in canadian winter. Best you don't grow shrooms on your roof tho
Katie and dk- just saw on tv an ad for the tomato tree, made me hungry for a 'mater sandwich, extra mayo, splash of pepper.
What kind of shrooms are we talking about here .
Personally, I don't like them.

Ohh, a good ole tomato sandwich with mayo and pepper . They've been hard to come by the last few years because the tomatoes have not been that great.

Fried green tomatoes......yum yum .

Old 02-15-2008, 06:48 PM
x1x

227 posts, read 805,648 times
To all you gardeners heres a interesting seed catalog. Seeds from Whatcom Seed Company - Catalog of Rare, Exotic, Unusual Garden Seeds

Old 02-16-2008, 02:13 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
My fave tomato sandwich is roma, which tends to have more flavor and less mealy than anything else around. The mayo insulates the bread from the juicy but I think I eat them too fast for that to be an issue.
Good fried green tomatoes are hard to find up north, gotta go under the mason dixon for people who know what they're doing.
Cuccumbers are good in summertime too- when its too hot to eat- peel and slice in spears, sprinkle some salt and fresh lemon juice over them- perfect!

shrooms- well, not everyone has a taste for fungus. straw, ****ake, white buttons... infinite varieties.

I'd love to learn how to cultivate cherries. I hope I get a big enough parcel of land down the road to do it. grape vines too.

I saw plenty of blackberries growing wild in WV. Not sure how strawberries hold up in higher elevations due to deeper cold snaps.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:38 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
LOL @ mushroom named ****- pronounced Sshhh-It-Ock-E

x1x ty, I saved that link. Found a tree called paw paw- aparently its safe for zone 4-9, reported virtually disease and pest free. Fruits are called chirimoya, sweetsop or soursop. grows 8-10 ft, unless open area sun- grows to 25 ft.

trouble I've had with most search engines involving plants/seeds= haven't found one that sorts out which are for a specific zone. Wind up having to wade through the entire catologue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia