Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 05:52 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Wine making has been showing up in the state (we've been selling grapes from here in NY to makers in WV).

WV could easily re-invent itself as a tourist destination. They sit on so many major natural sites to see as well as plenty of historical sites. I feel like parts of WV have tried this but there's no real push for advertising from the state itself; which would have to happen!

If WV manages to get a real wine industry rolling they can do something similar to southern NY and roll the drunks in from all over the place and let them stare at the gorgeous views while they wobble around the party bus.
West Virginia is a Baptist Bible Belt state. Not sure how wine will go over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 10:54 AM

524 posts, read 152,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
West Virginia is a Baptist Bible Belt state. Not sure how wine will go over there.
May I say Amen! to it's being a Baptist Bible Belt state; and I fervently hope it remains so!

Old 05-03-2021, 01:31 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Fortunately, the influence of the Bible Belt is fading. You can now buy a bottle of liquor on Sunday if you want.

There are twenty wineries in West Virginia that appear to be doing just fine. There are also over 2 dozen breweries making good business out of brewing beer. The state also has 9 active distilleries. Alcohol seems to be doing just fine in this part of the Bible Belt.

BTW, these businesses exist all over the state, from both panhandles to all of the major cities, and in small towns that you would never think could support such a business.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:13 PM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Try us in the Eastern Panhandle of WV
When DH and I go to recycle, it's unbelievable (well, not really) how many wine and beer bottles there are. One can surmise these West Virginians sure love their beer (and wine).

Old 05-05-2021, 07:08 AM

3,290 posts, read 9,186,341 times
Quote:
It will go over just fine, after all water was turned into wine in the Bible. But not on Sundays or at least after noon time on Sundays. They want you in church. That’s where the Bible Belt usually gets involved.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:15 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,448 times
Quote:
Traditionally, Methodists have been the dominant denomination in the state. And, while they have a history with the temperance movement, modern Methodists don't mind the occasional drink.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:44 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Visually, Huntington felt more Midwestern than Southern to me, between the grid plan covering most of the city, the preponderance of two-story red brick houses, the consistent sidewalks and curbs, and the industrial look in parts of the city/Kenova. It almost reminded me of St. Louis.

Culturally, though, I wasn't there long enough to get a good picture, but the Southern accents were strong, including in teenagers, even from ostensibly upper-middle-class backgrounds. I also saw more black people interacting with whites throughout all parts of the city than would be typical in the Midwest.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:36 PM

245 posts, read 201,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Visually, Huntington felt more Midwestern than Southern to me, between the grid plan covering most of the city, the preponderance of two-story red brick houses, the consistent sidewalks and curbs, and the industrial look in parts of the city/Kenova. It almost reminded me of St. Louis.

Culturally, though, I wasn't there long enough to get a good picture, but the Southern accents were strong, including in teenagers, even from ostensibly upper-middle-class backgrounds. I also saw more black people interacting with whites throughout all parts of the city than would be typical in the Midwest.

That area basically is "more Midwestern than it is anything else". It's not something people generally sense among themselves, and if pressed, they might grudgingly concede they are "kind of" Southerners, though in my mind, the South "begins to begin" somewhere around Beckley --- it's not something that happens all at once. By the time you get to Wytheville VA, it's starting to kick in, and once you're in Dobson or Mount Airy NC, yep, you've crossed a certain hazy, invisible border. Huntington really isn't either Midwestern or Southern, I'd have to say it's about 55% Midwestern, 30% Southern, and 15% "its own thing". Charleston, I just throw up my hands, great city, but it's really neither fish nor fowl, I don't know how you'd characterize it. Maybe it's more like a miniature Pittsburgh without the Slavic and Eastern European element. Yeah, that might be about right.

I'm too lazy at this moment to read the entire thread, but if you had to draw a "north-south line" in West Virginia, you might do it between the Charleston-Huntington and Clarksburg-Weston TV markets. Another litmus test might be whether cars "need to be washed" in the southern part, or whether they simply "need wa[r]shed" in the northern part. I was at Tim Hortons in Cross Lanes one time and a man in line said "I bet this guy wants waited on". That line, too, is probably kind of blurry.

And to address what I see as an inevitable part of the discussion, due to geographical proximity, I have no earthly idea whether southeastern Ohioans, south of Athens and east of Portsmouth, consider themselves "Midwesterners" in anything but a strict Census Bureau sense. To my mind, that happens somewhere between Waverly and Chillicothe. I don't know what they're taught in school about "what part of the country you live in". And Kentucky, at least south of Boone, Kenton, and Campbell counties (that German Catholic city-state called "Northern Kentucky"), is firmly convinced that she is Southern, though that, too, is kind of blurry unless you were to get down around Bowling Green and Paducah. Lexington is convincingly Southern only because it's so darned genteel, the horses, the bourbon, and all of that. South and east of Lexington, things get kind of hardscrabble.

Last edited by IM42A; 05-17-2021 at 06:46 PM..

Old 05-17-2021, 07:49 PM

245 posts, read 201,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Sorry, correction: "northeastern Mississippi"

I'm familiar with the map, and I'm sorry, but there is no earthly way that anything in Mississippi could be considered even remotely Appalachian, culturally, geographically, or any other way. The southwestern edges of the ARC map are clearly motivated by politics, such as the spurs into western Kentucky and middle Tennessee, and the part of Mississippi that, weirdly, has one non-Appalachian county almost completed surrounded by "Appalachian" counties.

Also see this article:

https://www.southerncultures.org/art...n-mississippi/

Old 11-25-2022, 09:55 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Summersville. That's where Food Lion meets Foodland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia